PDA

View Full Version : Noob Needs Help Choosing Graphics Card

VANDERLEI
11-04-08, 07:21 AM
As the thread title suggests, i am a noob who has very little knowledge of Graphics Card so i need some help from people in the know as what to purchase. My pc spec is as follows:

AMD ATHLON 64 X Dual Core 4400+ 2.31 GHz
1.75 GB Ram
Geforce 6150 SE Onboard Graphics Card
Running XP SP2

I tried running Crysis yesterday and as you can imagine, it was like watching a MS Power Point slide show. What i basically need to know, is what would be the minimum i need to spend to get games such as Crysis or Fallout 3 running at a decent rate and what cards are recommended, and how much i'd be looking at to get them running on High settings and what the cheapest option would be (or i should say, best value for money)?

If this is posted in the wrong forum apologies.

SLippe
11-04-08, 08:47 AM
What's your budget?

VANDERLEI
11-04-08, 08:52 AM
What's your budget?

Well i haven't got a budget as such, i'd probably be prepared to pay anything from 50-150€ i suppose, but that's not set in stone. It all depends on what i need to spend to play these demanding games to a satisfactory quality.

saturnotaku
11-04-08, 06:53 PM
If you're looking for an interim upgrade before a major system overhaul, and assuming you have a free PCI-Express slot on your motherboard, an 8800GT would probably be your best bet for the time being. It's inexpensive and will be a heck of a lot better than what you've got now. Anything better will be bottlenecked by your CPU.

Then use whatever money you might have otherwise spent on a new GPU to save for a full system upgrade.

VANDERLEI
11-08-08, 07:32 PM
If you're looking for an interim upgrade before a major system overhaul, and assuming you have a free PCI-Express slot on your motherboard, an 8800GT would probably be your best bet for the time being. It's inexpensive and will be a heck of a lot better than what you've got now. Anything better will be bottlenecked by your CPU.

Then use whatever money you might have otherwise spent on a new GPU to save for a full system upgrade.

What would you suggest i upgrade to and how much realistically would i need to spend? If i just installed a 8800GT would i be able to run Crysis on high settings? Thanks for helping with these noob question, i am completely clueless about this kind of stuff!