PDA

View Full Version : Unstable system...

DJMONDY
11-04-08, 11:26 AM
Any chance you could give a list of things to run through to see why my system is being so unstable at the moment?

Windows keeps bringing up a hardware fault but it doesnt say exactly whats at fault.

Nothing is overclocked.

My Rig:
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 580M 640MB XT GDDR3 ,PCI-Express,2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP,580/1800Mhz
4GB CorsairQUAD2X4096-8500C5DF
Intel Q6600 Quadcore CPU G0
GByte P35C-DS3R Mobo
SStone 850W PFC PSU QuadSLi
MS Win Vista Ultimate 64Bit

Thanks for any replies :)

hirantha
11-04-08, 01:39 PM
run 3D mark, Super PI (http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36), Prime 95 (http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205) and Everest mem tests and system tests. those are some you could run to see if your system is stable.

DJMONDY
11-06-08, 05:43 AM
Hi, i ran that prime95 and its come up with some results. problem is im not sure what its trying to tell me. any chance you guys could have a look and tell me what i need to do?

The first time i run it it caused the system to reset (BSOD) so its hitting the right area of stress.

Heres the results. hope you can see whats needed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/DJMONDY/stresstest1.jpg

I said in my post nothing is overclocked but it might not be the case. ive personally not overclocked my pc but the previous owner might have without realising...possibly :o

I dont understand why its being so unstable now but i really want to get it fixed so i can start playing again without problems.

Thanks for any replies.

DJMONDY
11-06-08, 05:48 AM
Thats not a very good image lol. ill post another later today.

Wolken007
11-06-08, 06:04 AM
What kind of symptoms are you experiencing that is making the system unstable? Are you getting BSODs when playing games? Hard Locks? Please give us more information. Simply running prime95 and posting a screenshot of it isn't going to do much. Prime95 will stress the cpu, but it also pushes memory as well. Download CPUZ and post a screenshot of it while you are stress testing the cpu. Also, use memtest to test your memory out. Make sure to run a complete test. Additionally, there is a vid card tester called video card stability tester which would be useful in telling you if your graphics card is unstable.

Edit: Also use a program like RealTemp to monitor your system temps. Post a screenshot of that running at both idle and stressed CPU states.

DJMONDY
11-06-08, 11:18 AM
Symptoms are basically BSOD's at random times. it can do it just as its about to go into desktop or while playing a game. my system doesnt really hang tbh, its just this reset thats bugging me and i want to get it sorted.

Ill run what youve mentioned and see what happens.

First thing im going to do it remove 2 gig of ram and see if that makes a difference. for some reason i think the other 2 gig is causing problems despite them being identical. ill report on this asap.

From the screen shot can you tell whats is possibly causing the problems?

Anyone fancy taking control of my pc? youll know what your doing more than me.

DJMONDY
11-07-08, 03:40 AM
Well ive removed 2gig of ram and just left 2gig in in the dual channel slots and the system is 100% stable by the looks of it.

I dont understand why its so unstable under 4gig but i guess ill just have to stick with it.

Im tempted to try and get 2, 2gig sticks of ddr3. wheres the best place to go for this?

Muppet
11-07-08, 04:11 AM
Have you tried a little more voltage through the memory. You see 4 sticks need a little more juice than 2. It places more stress on the Northbridge.The same can be said for your Northbridge, which controls the Memory. A little more voltage there won't go astray.

Wolken007
11-07-08, 07:55 AM
I agree, perhaps the original owner had manually input the voltages. Try giving both the DIMMs and Northbridge a bump in voltage in the BIOS. Also, as I previously suggested, rum memtest on the memory sticks to be sure that they are not bad -- that is the best way to tell.

DJMONDY
11-11-08, 08:19 AM
I dont think theres anything wrong with the sticks or even the slots on the board. ive done some searching and it seems this board is particularly bad with running in both dual and single channel slots at the same time and alot of people are having problems with them.

I dont mind too much i can stick with 2gig for now. the performance hit isnt really that big which i was quite surprised about.

In the future i think ill go for 4gig ddr3. its a tad expensive at the moment though for decent sticks so ill wait.

Thanks for posting everyone :thumbsup:

Wolken007
11-11-08, 03:56 PM
I dont think theres anything wrong with the sticks or even the slots on the board. ive done some searching and it seems this board is particularly bad with running in both dual and single channel slots at the same time and alot of people are having problems with them.

I dont mind too much i can stick with 2gig for now. the performance hit isnt really that big which i was quite surprised about.

In the future i think ill go for 4gig ddr3. its a tad expensive at the moment though for decent sticks so ill wait.

Thanks for posting everyone :thumbsup:

Just to let you know, I have a P35-DS3R board running all 4 dimms full (4x2gb) for 8GB total and it works just fine.

Muppet
11-12-08, 12:37 AM
Have you tried adjusting the voltages at all. I'm sure you will find it is the key.

DJMONDY
11-13-08, 11:26 AM
Ok ill give it a go. im nervious about altering things in the bios.

What do i need to do?? or what do you recommend?

If you need more info on anything i have let me know.

Wolken007
11-13-08, 01:38 PM
If your bios is the same as my P35-DS3R, the lowest setting you can add is +0.1v for both DIMM and MCH. If your motherboard is like mine, it defaults DD2 voltage to 1.8v automatically. Your Corsair Dominators are rated at 2.1v for 1066 speeds. Obviously you shouldn't need the full 2.1v if you are not overclocking or setting the memory at 1066 speeds. Check out your BIOS screen and see what your DRAM frequency is.

Adding +0.1v to the MCH and DIMM is not going to hurt anything. Try adjusting VDIMM first. If no luck there, add MCH voltage. Let us know if that does anything.

wnd
11-15-08, 04:58 AM
Any chance you could give a list of things to run through to see why my system is being so unstable at the moment?

MS Win Vista Ultimate 64Bit

Obligatory Mythbusters quote: "Well, here's your problem."