PDA

View Full Version : Steam Account Confusion -- HELP!!

ragejg
11-04-08, 03:20 PM
Ok, so I have 2 pc's in my household, a media PC for 720P gaming and a desk PC for work stuff and some 10x7 gaming.

I have a steam account with several games registered with it... HL2, CS:S, Lost Planet, and Portal.

I installed Portal on the desk PC so Queen Trigger (gf) could play it while I'm playing other games.. BUT...

If I sign onto Steam on the desk pc then it tries to sign me out on the media pc! Bah!! The media pc has Lost Planet, HL2 and other games installed on it, and I do not want Portal on the media machine! My lady would like to sit upright at a desk with a regular LCD monitor in front of her while playing Portal and other games.

Am I limited to having to use "offline mode"?

Or should I create a separate Steam account for the desk PC?

... And if I do that, then how do I detach Portal's CD key or whatever from the original steam account to register it with the new one?

... Anyone?

bacon12
11-04-08, 11:01 PM
Yes you can only log in to one at a time.

Starscream
11-04-08, 11:44 PM
You'll have to make a new account and I don't think you can transfer the game to it. You probably have to buy it again, but it can't hurt to e-mail valve and ask them about transferring it to her account, or even go make a post on the steam forums.

bob saget
11-05-08, 03:43 AM
ragejg, this is how you can solve this:

You can have at least 2 of the same steam accounts running at the same time, only the "friends" function is going to be visible on the machine that logged in after the first one.
So for example at computer number 1, with account called abc, you could be playing HL2, while Trigger will be playing Lost Coast at computer number 2, with account abc.

The above works 100%, except if you guys share an internet connection, i am not sure how that will react. I have done it before that i am playing episode 1, and my friend is playing CSS online, from his computer, on my account. You can run 2 single player games simultaneously, just not >1 multiplayer.

glObalist
11-06-08, 02:08 AM
Yes you can only log in to one at a time.

You can have at least 2 of the same steam accounts running at the same time

thanks for clarifying guys! :headexplode:

crainger
11-06-08, 02:09 AM
::rofl:

Glad we could help.

bob saget
11-06-08, 02:16 AM
I know for a 100%, not a shadow of a doubt fact. You can log into the same account, from two different computers from 2 different places. Steam friends service, which uses their server, will only be running on one machine, the second machine will display the message "you have been logged out as the account was signed in somewhere else" or something like that.
As for games, you can play simultaneously 2 non-multiplayer games at the same time, or 1 multiplayer and 1 singleplayer.
I havnt done this inna while but it worked about 4-6 months ago.

bob saget
11-06-08, 02:16 AM
::rofl:

Glad we could help.

quit yer yappin'

crainger
11-06-08, 02:25 AM
Well there you go. 100% truth from bob.

I'm going to try it when I get home. ::D:

nutcrackr
11-06-08, 04:59 AM
I know for a 100%, not a shadow of a doubt fact. You can log into the same account, from two different computers from 2 different places. Steam friends service, which uses their server, will only be running on one machine, the second machine will display the message "you have been logged out as the account was signed in somewhere else" or something like that.
As for games, you can play simultaneously 2 non-multiplayer games at the same time, or 1 multiplayer and 1 singleplayer.
I havnt done this inna while but it worked about 4-6 months ago.
Did you try this awhile ago? Because I was under the impression they just changed it so you can't do this (as of a few weeks ago). If however you tested it recently then vote bob.

Edit: reading comprehension FTL, 4-6 months ago. Yep pretty sure they clamped this out, saw some angry people on Steam posting about doing pretty much the same thing with their wifes/gfs/dogs PC and finding they get kicked out of steam. Offline mode is the way to fix it.

bacon12
11-06-08, 02:53 PM
You can only be online with 1 account at a time. You can play games offline thou, but it was always dodgy and would work sometimes.

bob saget
11-07-08, 04:05 AM
so they clamped down on this? hmmm

i will see tomorrow.