PDA

View Full Version : Audigy 2: Still A Decent Solution?

dante
11-04-08, 07:46 PM
Well, Ive been using my on board sound for a while now. RealTek 888T I believe. But I'm just getting too many issues. My mic no longer works in TF2. Sometimes my sound works when I boot up. Sometimes it doesn't. I do have the latest drivers and so on. Just thinking of putting my old Audigy 2 ZS back in. Is this still a viable sound card for today's games?

Single Player
11-04-08, 08:37 PM
i guess it's better than onboard sound

Bman212121
11-04-08, 09:06 PM
Yea it's still a decent sound card.

Zhivago
11-04-08, 10:00 PM
It is still good. Sure beats any on-board I have ever heard.

Absolution
11-07-08, 09:44 AM
There is a thread on ANANDTech about this, basically what people are saying is that the realtek 888 chipset just sounds a little crisper. Not really better, just different.

I think its time for me to upgrade.

wolfgar
11-07-08, 04:20 PM
I'm using the 2ZS currently.

I see no reason for me to upgrade. (still on XP-SP3)
I am not an audio buff, and most of the EAX addon support doesn't really add to my gaming enjoyment. (sounds too fake IMHO)

MS really screwed the audio makers with Vista as so many of mfgr additions were not supported in the new driver model. (some hacks allowed some functionality. ) Its unknown where MS plans to go with audio like they did with the DirectX for video.

Bui, I admit I have not been keeping track of it. I have better than most, and good enough for me with a 5.1 headset and 2.1 desktop. (makes the wife happy not to hear the gunfights and trash talk in TF2)

If you've been using the MB sound, you certainly won't be missing out on anything by staying with the 2ZS.

May be a little better over all.

As always, its the ear of the beholder that counts.

crainger
11-07-08, 04:40 PM
Audigy 2 vs modern on board is tough, but I'd say it would be definitely worth a shot to get things working again. Will at least let you know if it is hardware or software.