PDA

View Full Version : Company of Heroes Dev: "PC Devs Shoot Themselves in the foot"

Pages : [1] 2

evox
11-07-08, 02:34 AM
"I think one of the things that hurt PC gaming is PC developers," he said. "If you make a game with such high-end requirements that only people with a $6,000 PC can play it at a decent framerate, of course your sales are going to drop."

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pc-devs-shoot-themselves-in-foot

Lawl. :headexplode:

evox
11-07-08, 02:38 AM
So ironic considering how resource hungry CoH is.

crainger
11-07-08, 02:41 AM
PC games DO have detail settings. It's this stupid mindset of PC gamers that a game MUST be run all details up or not at all that is the problem.

Still he has a point. Problem is the piracy scapegoat is so much better. Why blame your design decisions when you can blame everyone else.

Redeemed
11-07-08, 02:56 AM
I think he has a point, and it seems he *might* be indirectly referring to Crytek and Crysis.

If that's the case, I think he still has a point. I'd be satisfied (possibly even moreso) with Crysis if "High" was the highest available in-game settings, and Crytek spent more time focusing on atmospheric things and bug testing. Heck, even on "medium" Crysis still gives most games a run for their money.

Hopefully with the proper sequel to Crysis will see more emphasis on atmosphere and story than graphics. I'm sure CryEngine 2 will last a good couple years or so before they need to replace it, so they can just use it but fine-tune it.

I just started play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. a few days ago, and I'm loving the atmosphere. Though I'm thinking they went a bit too far to the point they neglected some bugs that can be to the player's disadvatage and upsetting, regardless I notice I get drawn into the game. Cranking it up on my 5.1 Surround Reciever with Dolby ProLogic... it's just awesome! It's quite immersive.

I think more developers should be focusing on these kinds of things. More atmosphere and more detailed and interesting story.

LordJuanlo
11-07-08, 03:39 AM
LOL now you need $6000 for a decent framerate?. Lucasarts said you only needed $4000!

Lies!!! ALL LIES!!!!!

crainger
11-07-08, 03:40 AM
We all need PS3?

RAY16
11-07-08, 04:36 AM
Pfft. I can run anything on a 486DX doing software rendering. It eats Crysis for Breakfast.

EciDemon
11-07-08, 04:57 AM
When I bought my new pc parts earlier this year it didn't cost much at all, just a little more then my ps3 but even so a pc counterpart will play better at higher resolution then console versions.

It's a modest gaming rig compared to most people here, but if I were to get the same parts today it would cost less then a ps3 Im sure

Jonelo
11-07-08, 04:58 AM
For the ordinary people the price of a PC video game that in 3 years will be old - is very high, not 6000 dollars but perphas 3000 dollars. A true PC for videogames in Dell, Alienware, Acer or Coolmod ;) is 3000 dollars or more. Ordinary people do not know how to assemble a PC, or know a site to buy a real PC for video games.

RejZoR
11-07-08, 05:05 AM
Thats true. Sure graphics are cool and i always love to see cool new effects but then again they put way too much into visuals. I mean WAY too much.
End result is that other game elements suffer because of that and also only the ones with highest end systems can actually enjoy it fully. Others have to watch washed out textures, ****ty draw distance and other crap like that.
Games used to be gameplay first and then everything else back in 90's but now it's vice versa. Graphics first and everything else later. What's space left for it... It's kinda sad actually.
Consoles are actually sometimes a good example (and some PC games too) that games can be very fun even without killer graphics.

Game -> decent graphics -> lower production cost -> anyone can play it with full framerate -> lots of ppl buy it -> more money from sales -> happy devs and happy users

Game -> killer graphics -> high production cost -> only the ones with highest end PC's can play it fully -> less ppl buy them -> sales are lower -> happy high end PC owners, less happy regular users, less happy devs because they sell less and have higher developement costs

It's not a rocket science. And it's generally easier to implement fun features to play than develop killer graphics engine that will be outdated after 6 months anyway and then whine about piracy. Sure it's a part but they're showing it like it's all piracy's fault...

EciDemon
11-07-08, 05:09 AM
Course if I were to buy a ready made puter with monitor with similar specs as my own, it would cost heaps more ... or one in the same price range without monitor would probably be a rather weak as a gaming rig.

Jonelo
11-07-08, 05:12 AM
And besides, the multiplatform games do not work in any PC that has more than 3 or 4 years.

In any ATI videocards , pre- Fall 2005

In any Nvidia videocards, pre-Spring of Summer 2004

In any - or very bad - CPU monocore - before pre-Summer/Fall 2005

If you try to give a person that have the best PC with an ATI graphics pre-Fall 2005 , a exclusive PC game as The Witcher - Fall 2007 game - probably have to give a PC in addition to the game. You need a SM 3.0 card and dual core , the game not has support for AMD XP cpu and with other monocore is a true torture play the game - 10 fps in all resolutions - ;)

jeffmd
11-07-08, 08:13 AM
My $1700 computer ran crysis when crysis first came out (specs below), this dev is a moron.

nekrosoft13
11-07-08, 08:18 AM
My $1700 computer ran crysis when crysis first came out (specs below), this dev is a moron.

no chance in hell you need a $6,000 dollar machine

EciDemon
11-07-08, 08:19 AM
And besides, the multiplatform games do not work in any PC that has more than 3 or 4 years.

In any ATI videocards , pre- Fall 2005

In any Nvidia videocards, pre-Spring of Summer 2004

In any - or very bad - CPU monocore - before pre-Summer/Fall 2005

If you try to give a person that have the best PC with an ATI graphics pre-Fall 2005 , a exclusive PC game as The Witcher - Fall 2007 game - probably have to give a PC in addition to the game. You need a SM 3.0 card and dual core , the game not has support for AMD XP cpu and with other monocore is a true torture play the game - 10 fps in all resolutions - ;)

I bought the witcher on release day, i had to put it on hold as old rig was too weak to fully enjoy all that game had to offer. I kinda knew this when I bought the game but I just knew I had to get the game anyways.

Buio
11-07-08, 10:05 AM
Well Blizzard does games with low demands, and they are so rich they don't know what to do with all money. Both D3 and SC2 are artistically well done but still technically not advanced, especially if you consider the games are not out yet for some time.

Company of Heroes can be really demanding if you turn DX10 on. I have it off because I prefer 50% faster framerate over hard to notice visual improvement (unless you zoom in and check the 3d grass).

Mr.Schme
11-07-08, 10:30 AM
Well Blizzard does games with low demands, and they are so rich they don't know what to do with all money. Both D3 and SC2 are artistically well done but still technically not advanced, especially if you consider the games are not out yet for some time.

Company of Heroes can be really demanding if you turn DX10 on. I have it off because I prefer 50% faster framerate over hard to notice visual improvement (unless you zoom in and check the 3d grass).

Blizzard comes out with the best games also. Ones that actually have high replay value.

mailman2
11-07-08, 10:56 AM
Devs would prefer us all to just buy a $200 severely outdated PC that don't utilize a mouse and keyboard and isn't upgradeable...

XBOX 360 anyone? :D

ClosetFanBoy
11-07-08, 02:42 PM
Still he has a point. Problem is the design decisions scapegoat is so much better. Why blame piracy when you can blame design decisions.

:D

Koko56
11-07-08, 03:40 PM
Blizzard comes out with the best games also. Ones that actually have high replay value.

Best games? High replay value?

Ther are other games out there y'know...

ASUSEN7900GTX
11-08-08, 03:58 AM
true :)

they only concentrate on the graphics technology used. not the gameplay.

AMEN brother this is what ive meant all along, the prettier tha game the mmore expensive hardware needed then the game looks wow and all that but sucks in gameplay and that is too bad.

So this is what is happening to PC gaming and they blame it on Piracy lame asses

ASUSEN7900GTX
11-08-08, 04:05 AM
1654.291 USD

that is what my latest upgrade cost me

that is
Samsung 226BW Antec P190 Intle Q9450 HD 4870 + 2x 1TB WD GP GA-EX38 MOBO

so hardware canb e expensive but then again i upgraded the most in this sytem so that is almost a new PC no wait it is a new PC :D

no it is stupid to say a 6000 dollar machine i mena what is that a quaqrology 987090 and 5 HD4890X2s and 5tb tram and 30x200TB disks and a motherboard to suppor it all?

sMull
11-08-08, 10:25 AM
I made a new pc for $900 and it runs everything i throw at it at maximum settings. C2DE8400 + mobo, 4GB ram, HD4870 512mb.

evox
11-08-08, 10:31 AM
I made a new pc for $900 and it runs everything i throw at it at maximum settings. C2DE8400 + mobo, 4GB ram, HD4870 512mb.
Impossible! Such a white lie!

Koko56
11-08-08, 10:41 AM

Stop trolling like this. :lol: