PDA

View Full Version : PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series makes snap, crackle, pop sounds!

Digital_Trans
11-08-08, 06:00 AM
My PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series is making snap, crackle, pop sounds bad on my Asus Striker II Extreme Edition Motherboard. I know this was a problem with prior Creative products in the past but yet still presets with the current new products available. So what's a guy to do in order to resolve this problem?

Xion X2
11-08-08, 10:21 AM
So what's a guy to do in order to resolve this problem?

1) Ditch Creative
2) Buy other brand (Bluegears, HT Omega, Auzentech, etc.)

I've owned both an Auzentech and a Blugears.. both with 7.1 Dolby Surround, both on multiple motherboards/chipsets, and both have worked perfect in every single game in Vista. Just make sure that it's one that's based on the C Media chipset.

XDanger
11-08-08, 12:24 PM
Dont spill rice crispies on your pc...

do you have "onboard" sound card still?

I'll take that crappy x-fi off your hands if you like ;)

mullet
11-09-08, 09:18 AM
HT Omega + Vista64 = flawless

crainger
11-09-08, 03:35 PM
My PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series is making snap, crackle, pop sounds bad on my Asus Striker II Extreme Edition Motherboard. I know this was a problem with prior Creative products in the past but yet still presets with the current new products available. So what's a guy to do in order to resolve this problem?

I have to agree with XIon. I love Creative, and i love my new DDL enabled X-Fi, but if you get popping and hissing, there isn't much you can do, especially if you're running SLI. Most of the time it comes down to a fault between your motherboard and the soundcard. All I can suggest is trying another PCI-E slot.

Mr Bigman
11-09-08, 07:09 PM
I solved all my hiss and pops by redoing the cables and isolationg off the breakout box all to gether and alls good at biggies crib.

EciDemon
11-10-08, 01:46 PM
I've seen a few user tips that may work, try to up the pci latancy to 64 or greater (didn't have an effect for me back when my card was cracking), upgrade bios etc.

Move the card as far away from other add in cards as possible

Try to shield the card.
This is the one trick I think will actually work, but I never got around to do it as the static noise went away when I upgraded mobo and other hardware.
You cut out a piece thin cardboard box, like the one from your favorite cereal brand, wrap it in aluminum foil and cover it with duct tape or similar, just make sure it's non conductive and put it in between the sound card and the other add ins.

For me the crackle and pop would only occur if power had been cut from the puter and I did a cold start. After reboot it would always be gone and as long as I never cut power it would not come back. Quite odd.
Some times just going in to bios and back out would also prevent it from happening once windows was loaded.

nekrosoft13
11-10-08, 02:12 PM
I'm happy that I don't have those problems, wouldn't give away my x-fi, really need Alchemy still play many older games.

crainger
11-10-08, 03:23 PM
I've seen a few user tips that may work, try to up the pci latancy to 64 or greater (didn't have an effect for me back when my card was cracking), upgrade bios etc.

Move the card as far away from other add in cards as possible

Try to shield the card.
This is the one trick I think will actually work, but I never got around to do it as the static noise went away when I upgraded mobo and other hardware.
You cut out a piece thin cardboard box, like the one from your favorite cereal brand, wrap it in aluminum foil and cover it with duct tape or similar, just make sure it's non conductive and put it in between the sound card and the other add ins.

For me the crackle and pop would only occur if power had been cut from the puter and I did a cold start. After reboot it would always be gone and as long as I never cut power it would not come back. Quite odd.
Some times just going in to bios and back out would also prevent it from happening once windows was loaded.

It's PCI-E. I don't think PCI latency trick works.

Also, Dig_Trans, are you using analogue or Dolby Digital Live?

jAkUp
11-11-08, 01:09 AM
It has to do with SLI, disable SLI and the crackling will go away.

Personally I experienced this problem for many years, and tried absolutely everything to fix it, I only found 1 fix. Removing the soundcard :o

EciDemon
11-11-08, 08:59 AM
It's PCI-E. I don't think PCI latency trick works.

Also, Dig_Trans, are you using analogue or Dolby Digital Live?

Right you are, was just listing some of the "fixes" I've seen for the problem. For some people it worked and for others it didn't.

either way I thought the new EMU20K2 chip was supposed to have this issue fixed. Given that's what the pci-e version is equipped with.

It has to do with SLI, disable SLI and the crackling will go away.

Personally I experienced this problem for many years, and tried absolutely everything to fix it, I only found 1 fix. Removing the soundcard :o

The problem must go deeper then that, I never had SLI. The problem happend on my old system, an amd64 3500+, 6800 Agp, Nforce 3 chipset on the mobo.

But then I learned how to work around it. On current build there have never been a problem with the very same card as it migrated over.