PDA

View Full Version : Which best to install Win98se or winme instead of winxp ?

b5fan
08-28-02, 11:02 AM
hi,
Im thinking installing another windows as my main games they dont work in winxp very good and crap fps.

Grand Prix 4 33fps in winxp

Ive got to buy winxp if i want to carryon using it after service pack 1 as im trying this version out instead of paying 100 and wasting money if it was crap.

But i like winxp and when service pack 1 comes out this version be a pile of dust as u need orginal cd keys for it to work proper.
AND no cracks will work

So im left to go back to either win98se or winme until i can afford to buy winxp home edition

I dont usualy use warez but when 100+ involved on software u cant afford to waste it.

Matthyahuw
08-28-02, 11:26 AM
98SE is more stable out of the box, but now that WinME has been out a year, it's stable, but you need to heavily patch it...

b5fan
08-28-02, 11:39 AM
yeah i can remember that with winme
Had to turn of system restore and pc health otherwise it would be checking system and backing it up in middle of games.

Thought they might have sorted that.

Oh well at mo looks like win98se

Oh ive got a athlon xp 1700
geforce 2 pro 64mb
256DDR PC2100 memory
ECS K7s5a motherboard latest bios
Hecurles Forissmo 2 sound card

forgot to add them

Starscream
08-28-02, 11:41 AM
98se, winmill is buggy crap.

saturnotaku
08-28-02, 12:55 PM
98SE is the pinnacle of what M$ has been able to achieve with the 9x series. Settle for nothing less.

de><ta
08-28-02, 12:59 PM
98 deffinitely.

I'll probably, probably move to xp for gaming after 2 years. Once all the bugs etc have been cleaned.

Untill then 98 is the best for gaming. Does not have unnecessary widgets etc and is fairly stable. Plus it has one of the best thread handling schemes for your cpu. XP is kinda overboard with its threading.

b5fan
08-28-02, 01:09 PM
hi,
Thanks for all replys , with looks of it Win98se is the win version to use.

The biggest problem i now of was the sblive and via chipset in win98se caused a lot of vxd errors and blue screens,
I was 1 of them once used to really bug me.

But since then upgrade soundcard and motherboard + other things.

Yep i might give win98se a try and see how it runs.

As u all been ok with it and like u say its more stable now then used to be, winme can gather dust lol
I look and find my win98se cd out and give it a whirl when i need to reinstall again.

sebazve
08-31-02, 01:24 PM
I wouldnt use 98 anymore. M$ is cutting down their support . And it seems that companies too. For ex no new Det40 for 98 at least for now it seems that it is not more in their priority list. Also there wont be directx 9 for win98

There is a very easy way to install the service pack1 in XP if you have a banned key just do a little search

Or you could use win2000 pro instead

Stay away from WinME it sucks

volt
08-31-02, 01:39 PM
98SE, WinMil is buggy as hell, and crashes more.

b5fan
08-31-02, 02:14 PM
hi,
Thanks for all views yeah i think if anything i will install win98se and not winme.

Winxp SP1 - urm i download it and try and get round it but what ive read its going to be very very difficult as microsoft got list of valid keys and winxp sp1 will connect to microsoft to check.

BUT what if u havent got internet connection :)
then again it ask u to phone microsoft with cdkey to verify it :(
bugger

Looks like i need to spend about 75 to 90 for winxp home edition

The Baron
08-31-02, 05:21 PM
There are only two corp keys that are disabled... ;) the rest apparently work fine.

volt
08-31-02, 05:32 PM
There is a range of keys being blocked by SP1, not only 2 keys :)

sebazve
08-31-02, 06:23 PM
Hint: you can generate your own corp key
:D

The Baron
08-31-02, 07:04 PM
Read the MS thing on WPA, it mentions 2 that generate certain product IDs. :p

Kruno
08-31-02, 07:17 PM
Funny that, for me it was the other way around.

Originally posted by Matthyahuw
98SE is more stable out of the box, but now that WinME has been out a year, it's stable, but you need to heavily patch it...

netviper13
08-31-02, 07:41 PM
From what I've read, XP SP1 is set to change the algorithm for the key assignment with Corp. Edition. Meaning even the randomly generated keys won't work because they will-have been generated with the wrong algorithm.

sebazve
09-01-02, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by netviper13
From what I've read, XP SP1 is set to change the algorithm for the key assignment with Corp. Edition. Meaning even the randomly generated keys won't work because they will-have been generated with the wrong algorithm.

M$ will not change the algorithm because it will **** current corp users.

I have a generated key it installed just fine:p

mr_oh_so_ice
09-02-02, 06:18 PM
I prefere WinME over 98 SE for the sole reason ME seems to like my PC better, using 98 SE I get crashes under some old games like NFS High Stakes, so I just use ME, its a heck of a lot stabler than when it first came out thats for sure. If you go ME, install DX8.1 and IE6 full before installing your drivers and you should have a fast stable system.

Blakhart
09-16-02, 11:30 AM
ME is not too bad, I consider it the best of the 9x lot. You just have to turn off the stuff like sys restore and pc health. It may be faster than 9x as it tries to do away with dos and 16 bit code, and is basicaly 2k sans the hal and the ntfs support. Well, kinda...

I feel that you have set up your xp installs without the use of a ref rate fix, such as nvreftool. Otherwise, you run at say like 24 fps as xp/2k likes to take its time drawing a scene... xp and 2k have no minimum set ref rate in games, they default to 60, and they will drop as any detail moves into view.
You are severely limited by that vid card. Settings such as 16bit color, no fsaa or af, and setting the enhanced cpu instructions (in opengl properties) to disabled, may give you a boost.

When you get sick of the crashes and whatnot that 9x/ME will give you, try xp again.