PDA

View Full Version : DiRT

DoomUK
11-09-08, 08:04 AM
This has been sitting on my desk for months. I get horribly lousy performance, even with all the settings turned down to low/medium (when compared to GRID, which runs flawlessly with everything turned up to the max, something doesn't seem right).

Anyone else experienced similar issues with this game?

[EOCF] Tim
11-09-08, 11:09 AM
It's a badly coded game, but your CPU is badly holding you back, pretty much every Xbox360 port is multi threaded, and benefits from having a quad core, and the X2 is just getting too old I'm afraid. Also your GT is holding you back, with a GTX and Quad at 3.6Ghz I was keeping above the 30fps minimum, but only just, sure it was higher then that, but there were weird slowdowns now and then that almost dipped under 30.

CaptNKILL
11-09-08, 11:55 AM
The problem is with the game's sound engine.

My brother's system is similar to yours (8800GTX, 4200+) and the game runs horribly slow. When he disables his sound card (Auzentech xplosion) the game runs like butter.

GRID uses the same game engine and has better graphics and it runs very smooth on his system. It most likely has a different sound engine.

Its a shame because DiRT seemed like a really cool game. The horrible port job totally ruined it for a large percentage of players though.

You can try messing with the sound settings or installing new sound drivers. I'm not sure but there may be a version of Creative ALchemy for the Audigy 2 as well, which should fix the problem.

Single Player
11-11-08, 12:13 AM
DiRT is one the best game i have ever played! don't know why people complain about it.. but with my setup i was getting +40FPS (maxed out 1680x1050)

And one more tip... i know its sounds wierd but anyway, if you playing it on Vista you should try creative alchemy. Yes it works! When i had a dual boot i was able to test it out.. so i does work.. much more better sound effects with alchemy. it says it works with DirectSound3D but try it with OpenAL don't put any (Buffer:2 Duration:16) just add dirt.exe to the alchemy and it unlocks all the missing effects

http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/Lists/Games/DispForm.aspx?ID=145

DoomUK
11-11-08, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys.

I only game under my XP install - it yields better (DX9) performance in every game I own, so far. But it seems I should try installing DiRT under Vista and installing the Alchemy drivers. Will check it out.

mailman2
11-11-08, 09:14 AM
DiRT is heavily CPU dependent. Its your CPU.