PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking Turns Off Aero

Mr Bigman
11-10-08, 02:09 PM
My buddy Tom has a 6400 x2 AMD we put together for him a monthy ago and he likes aero but he likes overclocking too.

His default is 3200 so we bumped it to 3400 and for some sstrange reason it turns off Aero and when you go to appearance options, the choice for Aero is gone as with the color settings for aero.

He uses an ASUS 690g mainboard with ATI gpu's for 4 monitor setup and Vista 64 Ultimate.

I use mostly intel rigs but i have a 9950 Phenom rig also and i tiried to duplicate his problem by overclocking the phenom to 3 GHZ and it also turns off aero theme and options to but on the Intel rigs Aero stays on so is this an AMD thing or does Aero not like ceartain overclocks?

crainger
11-10-08, 02:41 PM
AMD don't want you to overclock their CPUs. They instead want you to buy faster CPUs, so they reached an accord with Microsoft to disable Aero on overclocked CPUs, as AMD knew Aero is a critical weak point with all users. This is the same reason pirated Vista doesn't have Aero. The only way to fix it is to buy an Intel based machine and overclock that.

npras42
11-10-08, 02:57 PM
That's a joke, right?

Mr Bigman
11-10-08, 04:06 PM
I have an Intel rig overclocked beyond 4 gigs and is sweet and the AMD rig i have no i don't overclock it cuz i just don't trust AMD when overclocking anyway shaw.

duffy_chucky
11-10-08, 05:22 PM
My buddy Tom has a 6400 x2 AMD we put together for him a monthy ago and he likes aero but he likes overclocking too.

His default is 3200 so we bumped it to 3400 and for some sstrange reason it turns off Aero and when you go to appearance options, the choice for Aero is gone as with the color settings for aero.

He uses an ASUS 690g mainboard with ATI gpu's for 4 monitor setup and Vista 64 Ultimate.

I use mostly intel rigs but i have a 9950 Phenom rig also and i tiried to duplicate his problem by overclocking the phenom to 3 GHZ and it also turns off aero theme and options to but on the Intel rigs Aero stays on so is this an AMD thing or does Aero not like ceartain overclocks?

evertime i use an non-WHQL gpu drivers, i lost aero composer.

mullet
11-10-08, 11:31 PM
Every time I try and OC my AMD CPU it shuts off aero, I got a error saying "Over Clocked AMD CPU is prohibited in Vista" but once I restart Vista Aero comes back.