PDA

View Full Version : Question About 32" LCD HDTV as Monitor

SLippe
11-10-08, 02:25 PM
Would I have any problems using the LCD HDTV in the following link as my monitor for my rig? Yes, my ONLY monitor, not as a secondary. ;)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Element-32-LCD-HDTV-FLX-3211B/sem/rpsm/oid/191764/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

J-Mag
11-10-08, 03:45 PM
Make sure you actually received an SPDIF cable with your 9800gtx if you want to hear sound through HDMI on your TV. If you're using external speakers this isn't important...

SLippe
11-10-08, 04:21 PM
Make sure you actually received an SPDIF cable with your 9800gtx if you want to hear sound through HDMI on your TV. If your using external speakers this isn't important...

Check Sig. ;) I have Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.

Other than that, no problems, right? Weird that the resolution is actually lower than my 22" LCD.

J-Mag
11-10-08, 04:38 PM
Check Sig. ;) I have Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.

Other than that, no problems, right? Weird that the resolution is actually lower than my 22" LCD.

The sad thing is I actually did look at the sig. :o I guess it would still be applicable in your situation if you wanted to use your TV's speakers as a supplement to the Klipsch set.

Other than the HDMI issue I mentioned I haven't had any issues with my HDTV as a primary PC display device, but then again I've never used that HDTV. :p
As a priority, I would double check to make sure that your TV has a 1:1 pixel mapping mode otherwise your desktop will be cropped.

SLippe
11-10-08, 04:54 PM
The sad thing is I actually did look at the sig. :o I guess it would still be applicable in your situation if you wanted to use your TV's speakers as a supplement to the Klipsch set.

Other than the HDMI issue I mentioned I haven't had any issues with my HDTV as a primary PC display device, but then again I've never used that HDTV. :p
As a priority, I would double check to make sure that your TV has a 1:1 pixel mapping mode otherwise your desktop will be cropped.

Not sure what you mean by 1:1 pixel mapping. I tried to look at Element's website, but found nothing. Are you talking about Aspect Ratio? :confused:

npras42
11-10-08, 05:05 PM
No, it means that sometimes TVs take a high-definition signal and display it in overscan mode where the top and bottom of the picture is cut off.

If the TV has 1:1 Pixel Mapping then every pixel sent to the display will be displayed exactly as is.

SLippe
11-10-08, 06:14 PM
No, it means that sometimes TVs take a high-definition signal and display it in overscan mode where the top and bottom of the picture is cut off.

If the TV has 1:1 Pixel Mapping then every pixel sent to the display will be displayed exactly as is.

What's the easiest way to find that information out? I looked at the PDF manual and didn't see anything that mentioned that.

$n][pErMan
11-10-08, 06:32 PM
Not really... you have far more pixels in your computer monitor LCD than the TV has :p

npras42
11-10-08, 07:39 PM
What's the easiest way to find that information out? I looked at the PDF manual and didn't see anything that mentioned that.

I dunno mate. Honestly, I've only ever had Sony, Toshiba and Hitachi LCD/Plasmas so every TV I've owned has had the feature. You'd think with HDMI inputs and stuff it would be the same with this one but I've never even heard of the Element brand before (take in mind I live in the UK!).

I was just looking through the consumer reviews at the bottom of that page and there seems to be an alarming number of people that have had their TV break down immediately after connecting it to a computer via VGA whilst also being out of warranty.

Also, I just heard today that CircuitCity have filed for Bankruptcy.
http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16281

I'd stay away for now, and look elsewhere.

EDIT: You can check this site as it keeps a list of TVs that pixel map as well as some good information as to what it is all about. NB It talks about it as if it is only relevant at 136x x 768 but on most TVs I've seen you get overscan at 1080p as well unless the pixel mapping option is switched on.

http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/

SLippe
11-11-08, 08:07 AM
@ npras42, I wasn't buying it new from Circuit City. I know about their bankruptcy, as they are closing 2 or 3 stores here in OKC. The TV was a deal I found on my local craigslist.