PDA

View Full Version : Laptop won't resume from standby.

Tuork
11-10-08, 05:19 PM
As the thread title states, my laptop (see sig) is not waking up from standby. The computer powers up, but stops at a black screen, leaving mouse and keyboard disabled (I can tell because capslock won't change).

The only solution to this problem is to restart the computer, which is a major pain in the arse to do EVERY time I go to standby.

After much research, it seems to be a problem with vista's driver for the ACPI lid, where it is unable to resume the computer from standby. Power button works perfectly, as long as I don't close the lid.

The only workaround I've read about so far is to change the driver for a compatible one from a Volume Management device. This solution sounds rather crude, so I was one of the nVnews laptop users could help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Tuork
11-11-08, 09:32 AM
UPDATE:
I went into the power manager and set the lid options to "Do nothing". I can now put the computer into standby and resume session using the power button.

More like a temporary solution, but at least I don't have to restart the damn computer each time.

I miss my XPS M1210. It was solid as a rock and NEVER gave me any troubles. Not even a hiccup. :(

EDIT: I was wrong. Still having the same effing issue. I'm pissed. :@

Tuork
11-12-08, 07:35 AM
Anyone??

bump?

:(

nekrosoft13
11-12-08, 10:05 AM
i have the same laptop, XPS1530, not a single issue with it waking up.

have you tried updating BIOS?

I'm running 64bit windows vista sp1 with latest bios, and no issues. Have you tried re-installing windows? maybe something is wrong.

Tuork
11-12-08, 11:52 PM
i have the same laptop, XPS1530, not a single issue with it waking up.

have you tried updating BIOS?

I'm running 64bit windows vista sp1 with latest bios, and no issues. Have you tried re-installing windows? maybe something is wrong.

I actually JUST reformatted (vista 32bit home premium). Running latest BIOS.

The weird thing is before the format I had a different issue, where the computer would reboot on standby. Now it's the not powering on thing.

This is driving me mad!

Tuork
11-16-08, 07:21 PM
Update!

Good news. I talked to the good people at Dell (must say they have some damn good tech support) and it turns out I'm an idiot. :p

All that was needed was to simply update windows. Apparently there's an update for 8600mGT cards, and I thought it was a driver update (since I was using modified ones).

So far everything is working fine. :)

methimpikehoses
11-16-08, 08:02 PM
Mine does the same thing. It also gets an error whenever it try to update SP1. Fail.

ViN86
11-16-08, 08:10 PM
Mine does the same thing. It also gets an error whenever it try to update SP1. Fail.

my laptop sometimes goes to a black screen then i have to remove the battery for 5 sec, then put it back in before it will boot. :retard: