PDA

View Full Version : MS Rep: Fall update will be big trouble

Pages : [1] 2 3

nekrosoft13
11-11-08, 04:09 PM
A trusted source working as a customer service rep for Microsoft has revealed that there will be some bad drama when the Xbox 360's Fall update hits on November 19th. He says the update could bring the dreaded "three red lights of death" issue roaring back to life.

The rep said that there has always been an influx of calls from owners of bricked Xbox 360s after every major Xbox 360 software update. Most of the complaints come from owners of launch consoles.

"The slick move by Microsoft here is that it's releasing the update on the 19th, just a couple of days after the extended warranty period for launch Xbox 360s end. The owners of these units are headed for some pretty tense times in the weeks to come,"" he said.

He adds "Our department is bracing itself from irrate callers after the update is released. I'm bringing some aspirin to work this holiday season," he adds.

http://gamingconfidential.blogspot.com/2008/11/ms-rep-fall-update-will-be-big-trouble.html

saturnotaku
11-11-08, 04:17 PM
So glad I don't own one of those systems any more. My launch 20 GB PS3 has been rock solid.

bacon12
11-11-08, 04:23 PM
Being its a closed platform how the fu** can they be bricking their own console with a software update?

LORD-eX-Bu
11-11-08, 04:38 PM
trying to sell more 360s during the holiday season :lol:

|MaguS|
11-11-08, 05:13 PM
I expect the bricking happening due to the heat that the update will make the system generate when running. The new dashboard is far more resource demanding then any other dashboard so the system will be working overtime just for being in the menu.

Buenamos
11-11-08, 05:24 PM
I expect the bricking happening due to the heat that the update will make the system generate when running. The new dashboard is far more resource demanding then any other dashboard so the system will be working overtime just for being in the menu.

I doubt that's it. Theres no way that the dashboard is so demanding that it generates any more heat than say Gears of War 2 which is definitely pushing the systems limits. I would guess that it would occur during the installation process.

|MaguS|
11-11-08, 05:30 PM
I doubt that's it. Theres no way that the dashboard is so demanding that it generates any more heat than say Gears of War 2 which is definitely pushing the systems limits. I would guess that it would occur during the installation process.

No I dout it will aswell but GoW isn't running as long as your dashboard at times. I know when i had an X360 I often left it at the dashboard after gaming or even overnight. Heck downloads take so long it could be at the dashboard for hours...

Severian126
11-11-08, 06:06 PM
Great.....

If I see another RROD, I'm going to kill somebody at Microsoft.

NaitoSan
11-11-08, 06:17 PM
That's fine, my replacement plan is still good. If I get RROD I can easily head to BestBuy and have it replaced with other Elite. :D I know it's annoying but man, 360 is poor built so let's hope Microsoft get it right with their next system.

Reynaldo
11-11-08, 07:40 PM
Yeah.... a post on a blog with like 4 updates a year has me really worried. Really worried.

Oh, and it's a pro PS3 blog, that really does the trick.

Eliminator
11-11-08, 08:18 PM
meh bring it on... my 360 launch console already gave the RROD but i fixed it with the x-clamp replacement

NaitoSan
11-11-08, 09:50 PM
Yeah.... a post on a blog with like 4 updates a year has me really worried. Really worried.

Oh, and it's a pro PS3 blog, that really does the trick.
lol didn't notice that. :D

raystorm
11-11-08, 11:27 PM
While I don't buy what that blogger is saying as gospel my last two 360's (I'm on my fourth!!!) both were bricked after dashboard updates. Its known that people have had issues with their consoles after dashboard updates and like an above poster said..how can an update brick a closed platform?? amazing but I do expect that some people will have problems.

Toss3
11-12-08, 05:11 AM
Hey what are you guys talking about? I have a perfectly fine launch xbox360! Sure it has died 5 times, but I've always managed to bring it back to life! I'm like the xbox360 necromancer! :firedevil

I don't see how this could affect the rrod ratio of the xbox360 in any way, but I guess he knows more than I. :o

nekrosoft13
11-12-08, 07:38 AM
lol didn't notice that. :D

btw, that article in on xbox-scene.com main page, that is where i found it.

Severian126
11-12-08, 07:33 PM
Hey what are you guys talking about? I have a perfectly fine launch xbox360! Sure it has died 5 times, but I've always managed to bring it back to life! I'm like the xbox360 necromancer! :firedevil

I don't see how this could affect the rrod ratio of the xbox360 in any way, but I guess he knows more than I. :o

I guess I'm a little worried because my first RROD came last year as soon as I tried applying the Spring 07 update. In the middle of it, it locked up and went dead on me.

I got an Elite after selling my replacement 360 I got back and as soon as I took it home and tried the Fall 07 update, it froze on me, and lo and behold, it locked up. I had that Elite for only a few hours before I returned it for a new one. The newer Elite that I now have finished the update just fine, so I HOPE this new Fall 08 one breaks out of my personal 360 tradition of flashing me the rings of death during an update, since it went through Spring just fine.

ViN86
11-12-08, 08:09 PM
im still covered for RROD on my replacement unit, so bring it on MS.

nekrosoft13
11-12-08, 08:16 PM
I guess I'm a little worried because my first RROD came last year as soon as I tried applying the Spring 07 update. In the middle of it, it locked up and went dead on me.

I got an Elite after selling my replacement 360 I got back and as soon as I took it home and tried the Fall 07 update, it froze on me, and lo and behold, it locked up. I had that Elite for only a few hours before I returned it for a new one. The newer Elite that I now have finished the update just fine, so I HOPE this new Fall 08 one breaks out of my personal 360 tradition of flashing me the rings of death during an update, since it went through Spring just fine.

so there is some truth to the blog

mailman2
11-12-08, 08:42 PM
meh I'm already running the new interface. I dont use live though. Had a buddy gimme his thumbdrive with it on to update from.

Severian126
11-12-08, 11:22 PM
so there is some truth to the blog

Maybe. I'm just recounting my personal experience, and updates scare me now, rumors or no. I'm not sure how common it is for people to go through what I did. When it happened, I ranted on the MS forums for a bit and had a few people say the same thing happened.

Regardless I'm still under warranty with the new ELITE, but I don't think I can put up with another RROD quite frankly. I think I'll just take a bat to it and sell off all my games.

Lyme
11-12-08, 11:36 PM
"The slick move by Microsoft here is that it's releasing the update on the 19th, just a couple of days after the extended warranty period for launch Xbox 360s end.

Before, not after.

Otherwise, I'm really interested in seeing how the launch goes. NXE is a significant update, and even at a paltry 128meg, still has a chance of overloading xbl with all 15+million owners downloading it in one day.

nekrosoft13
11-13-08, 09:53 AM
Regardless I'm still under warranty with the new ELITE, but I don't think I can put up with another RROD quite frankly. I think I'll just take a bat to it and sell off all my games.

record it if it happens (nana2)

Lfctony
11-13-08, 11:41 AM
Is the fall update mandatory? My 360 isn't even connected to the net...

crainger
11-13-08, 02:57 PM
It shouldn't be mandatory, perhaps some games will force install it like the old xbox did. I doubt it though.

Reynaldo
11-13-08, 06:29 PM
Yeah, some 360 games force you to install dashboard updates, so with the nxe it shouldn't be any different.