PDA

View Full Version : QX9650 Temps, Vcore and O/C

sws
11-12-08, 05:54 AM
Hi guys..

Im a bit of a noob when it comes to overclocking, but with the addition of my new EVGA790i ultra I thought I would give it a go. (my old board was OEM bios locked)

I dont want to go too far so decided to hit 3.5ghz

So far, im running Prime 95 stable (9 hr test) with 1.24v (1.2v under load)
FSB 333.3
Multiplier X10
FSB-DRAM 1:2

I wanted to know if these temps are ok for 24/7 I see varied results everywhere but most people are talking about extreme overclocking (my vcore seems a lot lower than most)

Idle (via realtemp) 35, 35, 37, 38
Under load with Prime 54, 54, 59, 60

Everest shows Motherboard @ 44c and CPU at around 67c
with core temps matching those in realtemp.

I know intel specify the temp to be lower than 67c so do I reference this from the core temps or from the overall temp in everest ?

P.S Ive re-seated the watercooler a few times to try and sort out the difference in temps using arctic silver & their guides

Wolken007
11-12-08, 06:58 AM
Those temperatures are just fine. There is always going to be a difference in programs because some use different values for TJ Max. Really, all you should be concerned with is the distance to TJ Max shown in Realtemp. That is the same regardless of what program you use.

sws
11-12-08, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the answer, appreciated that you took the time to read.

Realtemp (TJMax of 95) is consistent with the temps shown in Coretemp and Everest
it was just the overall cpu temp in everest showing the 67c which concerned me
also the temp in the bios shows around 51c

So whats the safe distance from TJMax if I wanted to push it further without going overboard?

I know a lot of people are running these chips stable around the 4ghz mark for 24/7 I wouldnt mind hitting that as long as I could keep the vcore and temps down.

xavier2k5
11-12-08, 08:15 AM
What version of Everest are you using?

Try the latest betas @ time of post for Everest/RealTemp & see how you get on.
RealTemp 2.8.4
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip
Everest 4.60.1554
http://www.lavalys.com/beta/everestultimate_build_1554_sya8dlc1nxz.zip

Remember these are 'BETA'

sws
11-12-08, 08:43 AM
Just installed those two versions and the results are similar to the earlier screenshot

under load, core temps go upto around 57c - 60c
whilst idle around 35 - 40c

Both realtemp versions are pretty much the same (in terms of the temp) give or take 1c
The CPU overall temp in everest hits 68c whilst the motherboard went to around 47c

Altough I didnt run prime for very long this time around.

So should I be ignoring the fact the everest shows 68c and concentrate on my TJMax distance which currently seems good (i think) at between 30 - 40's under load.