PDA

View Full Version : Mirror's Edge

tornadog
11-12-08, 09:43 PM
I borrowed this one as the concept sounded cool and the trailers were pretty neat...reminded me of District B13. But the actual game is horribly stupid. The camera angles are so bad, and the controls are ok when they work, which they sometimes dont. Luckily its made by DICE so the PC version should be a lot more playable once it comes out. BTW be prepared to die at least 20 times in each chapter

Another one of those conceptually cool but actually average games that coming out in spades!!!!

NaitoSan
11-12-08, 10:09 PM
I died too many times in the demo. I still love it and I love the camera movement because it's realistic when you stump around, or whatnot. The control is a bit hard because you're required to do them right on timing. It's tough and hey, that's like in real life when you want to make sure you drop at right time without breaking your ankle.

This game isn't for everyone. I'm betting people will get motion sickness from this.

crainger
11-12-08, 10:15 PM
If you do feel motion sick, make sure you have crosshair enabled. Recent tests show FPSeses without crosshairs induce the most sickness of motion.

ralinn
11-14-08, 08:20 AM
I borrowed this one as the concept sounded cool and the trailers were pretty neat...reminded me of District B13. But the actual game is horribly stupid. The camera angles are so bad, and the controls are ok when they work, which they sometimes dont. Luckily its made by DICE so the PC version should be a lot more playable once it comes out. BTW be prepared to die at least 20 times in each chapter

Another one of those conceptually cool but actually average games that coming out in spades!!!!

I'm up to chapter 5 and the controls have _never_ been an issue for me. The negative I have with the game is sometimes not knowing where the hell to go. It's a pretty tough game but I respect DICE for just DOING it instead of making it idiot proof like most games out there. This game reminds me a lot of DMC... not everyone is going to like it because it's difficult so critics will rate the game down for that. Once you get the hang of things, it flows beautifully, looks cool and is great fun.

|MaguS|
11-14-08, 08:42 AM

Um How is the camera angles bad? It's in first person... BTW If your playing on the X360 thats one of IGNs complaints that the controls feel unresponsive, they say the PS3 does not suffer from this issue.

Buenamos
11-14-08, 01:46 PM
Um How is the camera angles bad? It's in first person... BTW If your playing on the X360 thats one of IGNs complaints that the controls feel unresponsive, they say the PS3 does not suffer from this issue.

Beat the game on X360 yesterday and never seemed to have a problem. The game was pretty good, definitely a few intense moments but wow, has to be the gayest ending in a game ever....and it's extremely short.

saturnotaku
11-14-08, 01:58 PM
has to be the gayest ending in a game ever....and it's extremely short.

Worse than Halo 2? How many chapters are there?

Buenamos
11-14-08, 04:26 PM
Worse than Halo 2? How many chapters are there?

I'm a fan of the Halo franchise so yes, IMO it was definitely A LOT worse. There are either 7 or 8 chapters, I forget.

FearMeAll
11-14-08, 09:55 PM
Played the demo on ps3 and xbox..ps3 ran smoother albeit no FSAA but I really liked using the six axis for some moves. I think the game is pretty darn cool. I love busting through a door and some other nice touches in the game. Art style is a freakin' breath of fresh air. Looks fantastic and bright on my 160" screen with 5.1 surround blasted all the way up..
Gamefly is sending me the ps3 version since everybody is jumping on the xbox version. Still think it looks great on both. Ready for 16xfsaa on pc version but that's later.

NarcissistZero
11-15-08, 08:55 AM
I freaking LOVE this game. The demo blew me away... I knew I had to own it. The sporadic lower reviews and forum impressions baffle me... this game is so original, so polished and so amazing looking, I can't see why anyone wouldn't love it.

I am on Chapter 6 and have also done a lot of time trials. I am sure I will go back through for all the bags and such as well... as a matter of fact, I will probably try for 1000 achievement points in this game, which is something I only care about in my most favorite games.

If I could address some of the complaints...

"You die a lot... too much trial and error." I have seen this a lot in reviews and on forums and I suppose it's true... you will die a lot until you figure out how to get through a section. The thing I don't get is why this is a bad thing by default. It's classic gaming in my opinion to go through some trial and error, and I have never died because of the game, I have always died because I did something wrong. This is classic gaming design... also, the checkpoints are so frequent, and punishment for death so small, that I fail to see why it matters.

"I don't know where to go!" There is NO reason this should be a problem for anyone. I turned off the silly "runner vision" and have still never gotten lost. Why? Because you can press "B" or "O" on the controller and the game points you in the right direction. How can you get lost? It baffles my mind... also, I suppose some of the point of the game is figuring out how to get places, Prince of Persia style... why complain about what is essentially a core component of the gameplay genre?

Lastyle... "combat sucks." First off, this is not true. The hand-to-hand combat is very polished and well executed, and stealing guns is always a hoot. Secondly, even if the actual gunplay is a little clunky, this is not the core component of the game. You are not meant to run and gun, you are meant to evade. This is not to say you can't go on a shooting spree... I have done it, it is fun.

In summary: amazing game, a real contender for my GotY along with Dead Space and Fallout 3. Anyone who liked the demo should buy the game.

FearMeAll
11-15-08, 09:42 AM
NarcissistZero you are absolutely right. The complaints on this game are so whiny. Reviewers want the game to hold your hand all the way through. They will also complain because they have to beat it in like 2 days and so they really hate a hard game.
These guys must have forgotten what it was like in the 8-bit games where you die all the time in the first level ala "Legendary Wings".
I wanted to punch the man out that reviewed on Gamespot for Mirror's Edge. He gives Assassin's Creed a ridiculously high score(guess because it's easy, albeit looooong), then blasts Mirror's Edge because he sucks at it.
Ahh...let me get on a rant about Gamespot while I'm at it: I hate all the new guys that do video reviews for the games now. They have these boring as hell British guys that sound like they could care less about what they are doing and this fat guy(the one that did the Mirror's edge review). They annoy the crap out of me! I want the old guys back!!
//end rant

NarcissistZero
11-15-08, 09:48 AM
Yeah, Gamespot and IGN's reviews were basically "I suck at this game, didn't know there was a button that points you the right way, and so the game SUCKS."

Reminds me of the Dead Space gamestrailers.com review, which bashed the game for having no health replenish shortcut button... which, you know, it DOES have.

Reviews are pointless. I always go by demos and forum impressions.

FearMeAll
11-15-08, 09:59 AM
Reviews are pointless. I always go by demos and forum impressions.
QFT :clap:

ralinn
11-15-08, 10:11 AM
Argh, I can't get under a minute on course one :(

I wonder how the record holder got 48 seconds... :headexplode:

PS. Feel free to add me to PSN (below) if you fancy beating eachothers scores :)

QFT :clap:
+2

Lfctony
11-16-08, 02:15 PM
Finished it an hour ago. It was decent, but I liked Assassin's Creed more. This in the sense that AC offers a safety net of sorts allowing speeding through the stage resulting in adrenaline and excitement. This game offers the same or even more, when it does that. But that doesn't happen that much. You either get shot or take a wrong step and you have to do everything again. Also, I lost many times because of stupid game behavior. I'd jump onto a vent only to have Faith grab onto it and leap above it into a drop from 200 feet up... Also the game forces you to slow down because it takes one small misstep to die...

It was a good experience, but I recommend everyone plays this on easy. This would possibly allow you to focus more on the platforming and worry less about getting shot. Hopefully they will make the next one longer and more forgiving to allow for a better experience...

saturnotaku
11-18-08, 07:02 AM
You either get shot or take a wrong step and you have to do everything again. Also, I lost many times because of stupid game behavior. I'd jump onto a vent only to have Faith grab onto it and leap above it into a drop from 200 feet up... Also the game forces you to slow down because it takes one small misstep to die...

It was a good experience, but I recommend everyone plays this on easy. This would possibly allow you to focus more on the platforming and worry less about getting shot. Hopefully they will make the next one longer and more forgiving to allow for a better experience...

This echoes my thoughts exactly. For a game that focuses so much on momentum, there are lots of times where you have to slow down or stop, and it really breaks up the flow. There is a lot of trial and error as well. IMO, the checkpoints are spaced a bit too far apart, meaning you have to go through a significant chunk of running and/or combat again because you thought you timed a jump correctly, but instead ended up with a 200-foot splatter death. Implementing some sort of quick-save system would be a huge help. This is something I'm sure the PC version will have (though I'm not about to re-buy just for that).

These flaws aren't significant enough to be a deal breaker, but they do keep a very good game from becoming truly great.