PDA

View Full Version : New Xbox Experience (NXE)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

LiquidX
11-14-08, 05:09 PM
A lot of people got into NXE today. Those of you that got in what do you think?

There parts I like and parts I dislike.

Likes -
- My Xbox layout, especially the achievements section. I'm not a achievement ***** but I liked browsing it.
- Very fluid.

Dislikes -
- Avatars, their stance and the fact you cant get rid of there silhouette even if you don't want to create one. Its is such a eyesore to look at while browsing the achievements section. And there not deeply customizable. Should be hidden away like on the Wii.
- It has a lot more sub areas than the old dashboard. I find it more of a chore to browse NXE.
- Seems a little washed out and the grey bottom is very plain. They should have kept the high gloss finish and added some color options.

Going to install a game or two and play around some more. Its a good change but I think its over-engineered in a sense. I will get use to it fast but that avatar silhouette will take a while. I didn't think I would be so disappointed in its implementation and I'm hoping I've just not have discovered the option to get rid of it.

betterdan
11-14-08, 07:32 PM
How did a lot of people get it? Was it available for download for a short time or something?

LiquidX
11-14-08, 08:30 PM
There was a sign-up early this week and they said a few thousand got in today. Figured a few nv'ers might have got in.

betterdan
11-15-08, 11:56 AM
damn it!

Lyme
11-15-08, 12:10 PM
I got in last night, I like it a lot. My only problem is that it wanted to install just as I was jumping on for a private gow2 horde match. The Avatars a nice, could use more selection. The layout is much better than the blade interface. It moves from page to page much faster than the blades. I like the mini guide as well.

My son made a vampire in a suit for his avatar, looks very classy.

EciDemon
11-17-08, 03:31 AM
I just have the nxe preview so I can't create an avatar, doesn't matter as I don't care for them anyways.

On the active game tab before you start a game you press Y to get more options (for example install). Now in the game library for example browsing your Arcade games, if you press Y you'll start the game, I think you have to hit X to bring up options like delete. That's stupid and should be the same across the board.

Navigating reminds a lot about Ps3's XMB but it just looks a bit different

The optional hdd install I like the most as it lowers noise alot

betterdan
11-17-08, 06:50 AM
Damn it!

NaitoSan
11-17-08, 07:30 AM
lol betterdan, you can wait. 2 more days to go! :D

betterdan
11-17-08, 07:35 AM
Yea but I am gonna be out of town and not be home till later on the 19th. I had planned on getting it at midnight.
Damn it!

NaitoSan
11-17-08, 10:04 AM
Heh heh, well if that makes you feel better... I have fugly early morning class on Thursday so I can't stay up late :(

Maybe they decide to release on Tuesday instead, just to surprise us all. :D

S.I.N
11-17-08, 11:57 AM
I must be the only one that thinks this new dash looks worse. PS3 did it right (best console UI), sleek and minimal and I hope there no compelled to copy MS copying Nintendo with the bright, cutesy, Linux mod reject crap.

tornadog
11-17-08, 04:40 PM
I have been having issues connecting to live last 3 days. Wonder if its the effect of the NXE. My 1 month gold live epired yesterday. So I send them a mail saying I lost 3 days of live because of the live issues. Hopefully they send me another month free!!!

betterdan
11-17-08, 06:48 PM
I don't really care about the gay little avatars (maybe I'll change my mind when I see them), I just want to play with the new interface and see how the Netflix thing works and copy games to the hard drive and get a turkey sammich from Wawa and a cherry coke and...

Damn it!

Lyme
11-17-08, 07:37 PM
I must be the only one that thinks this new dash looks worse. PS3 did it right (best console UI), sleek and minimal and I hope there no compelled to copy MS copying Nintendo with the bright, cutesy, Linux mod reject crap.

Your not the only one, but you are in a slim minority.

kev13dd
11-17-08, 11:29 PM
Good news!

Anyone who signed up for the preview will get it a few days early. Mine just finished downloading. Let the installs begin!

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/11/17/sign-up-for-the-preview-you-re-in.aspx

K

betterdan
11-18-08, 12:54 AM
Bad News!

Those who didn't even know about the damn preview will have to wait until Wednesday! :(

Good News!

I finally hooked up my 360 Elite via HDMI 1080P (have been using component 1080i the whole time) and it looks awesome. The colors are much deeper and it's a little sharper now. I just need to buy one of those damn adapters so I can use HDMI and optical audio out to my receiver. :thumbsup:

betterdan
11-18-08, 01:21 AM
Oh yea...

Damn it!

kev13dd
11-18-08, 01:34 AM
So even with the new 16:10 resolutions everything still shows up 16:9? Anyone else having this issue? I was really looking forward to the black bars finally being gone, but apperantly all the new resolutions do is make the black bars part of the image rather than just pixels that aren't being used. Kinda dissapointing

At least installs are quick and really do quiet down the system

Anyone else annoyed by the giant grey circle taking up half the screen on the menus? I really don't see how much work Micosoft would have had to do to add a transparency option on that grey monster

K

Lyme
11-18-08, 01:40 AM
Bad News!

Those who didn't even know about the damn preview will have to wait until Wednesday! :(

Good News!

I finally hooked up my 360 Elite via HDMI 1080P (have been using component 1080i the whole time) and it looks awesome. The colors are much deeper and it's a little sharper now. I just need to buy one of those damn adapters so I can use HDMI and optical audio out to my receiver. :thumbsup:

Rumor has it that you can hook up both the component and HDMI cables at the same time, and use the optical out on the component with the video through the hdmi.

NaitoSan
11-18-08, 02:10 AM
I take my recent post back. I realized this is coming on Wed, not Thursday so I can stay up late on Tuesday for it to be released in the midnight. :D Woo hoo!

One more day!

EciDemon
11-18-08, 02:39 AM
It's not really that impressive look, it's like it got kids written all over it. I guess that's what happen when you copy nintendo :p

To me it kinda makes that cheap dodgy hardware look even more cheap ;)

However the added features are nice, like optional hdd installs and 16:10 support.
It's nice they finally added 16:10 resolutions but I think they should have added the option to let you full screen stretch on those resolutions since scaling is done in pure hardware.

betterdan
11-18-08, 06:46 AM
Rumor has it that you can hook up both the component and HDMI cables at the same time, and use the optical out on the component with the video through the hdmi.

Rumor is wrong, at least on my Elite. I have the component adapter plugged in and use optical but with that adapter plugged in it covers up most of the HDMI port beneath it. That's why they sell that seperate adapter that plugs into the port above the HDMI but is smaller so you can use optical and HDMI. Pretty crappy Microsoft didn't make the original component adapter small like that in the first place.

EciDemon
11-18-08, 07:48 AM
Rumor is wrong, at least on my Elite. I have the component adapter plugged in and use optical but with that adapter plugged in it covers up most of the HDMI port beneath it. That's why they sell that seperate adapter that plugs into the port above the HDMI but is smaller so you can use optical and HDMI. Pretty crappy Microsoft didn't make the original component adapter small like that in the first place.

Why they did not include an optical out on the console it self is beyond me >_> . This way they can sell you more of there expensive cables :D

betterdan
11-18-08, 11:03 AM
Well they did it because now they can sell you an adapter you have to buy just so you can use HDMI and optical out. even though the HDMI port is there and the optical out is there when the component adapter is plugged in. ARRGGG

My Onkyo receiver has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. I ran out of HDMI inputs on my tv so I need a switcher and can possibly use the receiver if it can do the audio and also output 1080P from it for my 360.
Anyways I found out my receiver can decode 5.1DD from HDMI but now in it's manual it says 1080P bandwidth but 1080i output WTF? I'm just gonna have to hook it up to my Onkyo receiver and see if the audio and video works or what doesn't.

S.I.N
11-18-08, 12:31 PM
Yay, I signed up so I got in when I turned on my system. And what I say stands. I don't like it. Its so damn stuffy with layers of ambiguity.

**** you for gaying up my XBox MS. This crap belongs on a Nintendo console in a Zelda game. You cant even make a male avatar without it looking feminine.:thumbdwn:
http://avatar.xboxlive.com/avatar/CODWW/avatar-body.png
Does he look happy?