PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors Edge (PC) PhysX video preview

ATOJAR
11-19-08, 12:18 PM
Download a screenplay movie of Mirrors Edge (PC| as released by NVIDAI to demonstrate PhysX

The video weighs in 78MB but it's definitely worth viewing, the physics effects are stunning.

NVIDIA also send out a press release today to announce that Mirror's Edge supports PhysX:
"Faith's world in Mirror's Edge is visceral, immediate, and very dangerous; it is imperative that the gameplay reflect this level of urgency," said Owen O'Brien, Senior Producer at DICE. "NVIDIA PhysX technology affords us the ability to bring a totally new level of immersion to the game, and by doing so, gamers can truly become part of the world."

With the NVIDIA PhysX physics engine, the world of Mirror's Edge comes to life with real affects of wind, weapons impact, and in-game movements. Every-day objects within the game become part of the overall experience. Cloth, flags, and banners can now impact weapons and players; ground fog interacts with the player's footsteps; explosions fill the air with smoke and debris; and weapon impacts are enhanced with interactive particles.

On the PC, PhysX technology harnesses the power of CUDA(TM), NVIDIA's general-purpose, parallel-computing architecture, to handle 10-20 times more visual complexity than what's possible without a GeForce(R) CUDA-enabled GPU. And unlike competitors' solutions, which do not offer hardware-scaling capabilities, only PhysX technology leverages the best of both CPU and GPU architectures to deliver the ultimate, immersive, user experience. With over 100 million CUDA-compatible GeForce 8 Series and higher GPUs shipped to date, PhysX technology has the largest installed base of general-purpose, parallel-computing processors to run on.

"If you love intense combat scenes, fast-paced chases, and sky-high adventures then Mirror's Edge is the game for you," said Ujesh Desai, vice president of GeForce desktop business at NVIDIA. "Gamers will appreciate the greater freedom of movement, including sliding under barriers, tumbling, wall-running, and shimmying across ledges -- all within an environment that is dynamic and immersive, delivered in part by our PhysX technology."

Click Me. (http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2123&file=4&evp=61b47f98de384e3d2b34b0207934f958)

NarcissistZero
11-19-08, 01:31 PM
WOW... having played the console game, I assure you that is a MASSIVELY cool improvement, and along with the AA the game desperately needs, makes this a MUST repurchase.

I do wonder how much of that I will see however, lacking a Physx card.

jAkUp
11-19-08, 01:38 PM
And everyone said the PhysX effects would suck... :D They are awesome.

Another link:
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15918

|MaguS|
11-19-08, 01:49 PM
Looks nice but I don't see anything that they couldn't have added to the console versions since both consoles support physx...

Nitz Walsh
11-19-08, 02:26 PM
WOW... having played the console game, I assure you that is a MASSIVELY cool improvement, and along with the AA the game desperately needs, makes this a MUST repurchase.

I do wonder how much of that I will see however, lacking a Physx card.
Do you have a Geforce 8X00 or 9X00 series card? Yes? Then you have a Physx card. Physx can be accelerated by your GPU, this was announced months ago and the drivers already support it.

Nitz Walsh
11-19-08, 02:28 PM
Looks nice but I don't see anything that they couldn't have added to the console versions since both consoles support physx...
Of course, it's a software/hardware solution. The reason they likely couldn't have been added is perhaps due to time pressures, but also because the extra processing power required just wasn't there.

You'll need a high-end GPU to run in high res with physx hardware acceleration enabled most likely or even better, an SLI config with one card devoted to physx. The power of modern PC GPU's absolutely dwarfs what's in the 360 and PS3.

NaitoSan
11-19-08, 02:30 PM
Holy crap, they really add new stuff for PC. I've been playing Mirror's Edge on 360... man I'm loving it so much. I'll buy it on PC just for this. :)

|MaguS|
11-19-08, 02:43 PM
Of course, it's a software/hardware solution. The reason they likely couldn't have been added is perhaps due to time pressures, but also because the extra processing power required just wasn't there.

You'll need a high-end GPU to run in high res with physx hardware acceleration enabled most likely or even better, an SLI config with one card devoted to physx. The power of modern PC GPU's absolutely dwarfs what's in the 360 and PS3.

Yes but considering that the console versions are running lower resolution settings they should be able to add more effects. heck a single SPU of the CELL would be enough to calculate alot of the physics work. I dout DICE used every SPU...

NarcissistZero
11-19-08, 04:09 PM
Do you have a Geforce 8X00 or 9X00 series card? Yes? Then you have a Physx card. Physx can be accelerated by your GPU, this was announced months ago and the drivers already support it.

Oh cool, thanks. I've been ignoring PC news for a while. I have an 8800GT and am upgrading soon as well, so it sounds like I'm good to go.

LurkerLito
11-19-08, 04:32 PM
That is a nice step up from the PS3 demo I played. I definitely will consider buying the PC version but it's up to EA if I buy it or not. If they still don't have a deactivate method in place I will pass on this one also.

|MaguS|
11-19-08, 04:39 PM
I wonder if my 8800M GTS will use Physx, Nvidia pretty much gimps their laptop GPUs.

wrathofgod
11-19-08, 06:03 PM
Whoa! Definitely on the 'must buy' list!

Very nice.

fizzelopeguss
11-19-08, 06:48 PM
Yes but considering that the console versions are running lower resolution settings they should be able to add more effects. heck a single SPU of the CELL would be enough to calculate alot of the physics work. I dout DICE used every SPU...

The difference is that Nvidia is active in sending it's engineers out and pays developers as an incentive to do something like this, Sony on the other hand just sits in the corner stinking of sh*t wondering why the ***** it's market share has evaporated.

CaptNKILL
11-19-08, 06:53 PM
Wow those effects are pretty awesome. This is what physx should be used for... assuming this doesn't make the game run like ass...

MaxFX
11-19-08, 06:56 PM
Totaly wonderfull and BTW, Bionic Commando should have PhysX support to.
Thats makes 2 games and it's a start at least so heres hoping for a wave of PhysX powered games :)

DeusGear
11-19-08, 09:28 PM
Crap looks like I'll have to buy the physx pci card.

crainger
11-19-08, 11:49 PM
Crap looks like I'll have to buy the physx pci card.

raffle. Nvidia FTW? :;):

LordJuanlo
11-20-08, 03:53 AM
Awesome video, I tried the 360 demo and this blows it away. At last a good use of Physx on a PC game

CaptNKILL
11-20-08, 04:07 AM
Are they planning to release a PC demo for this any time soon?

crainger
11-20-08, 04:11 AM
No. Too many people would pirate it. ::rolleyes::

CaptNKILL
11-20-08, 04:14 AM
No. Too many people would pirate it. ::rolleyes::

Hwaa?

XDanger
11-20-08, 03:36 PM
Looks awesome
tvhw_v3q4L8

the water is like that sequence in The Matrix with the water :)