PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo 5 at (3840 x 2160) 4 times the resolution of Full HD

Pages : [1] 2

AirRaid
11-19-08, 06:03 PM
Gran Turismo in 4 times the resolution of Full HD

Polyphony Digital also presented two technological trials for the next generation at this event. Both of the presentations, were founded on the philosophy of “achieving the highest possible quality” held over the years by Gran Turismo.

One of these, was a time trial competition using Sony’s newest digital cinema projector, the “SRX-S110”. Gran Turismo 5 prologue is already in Full HD resolution at 1920 x 1080 pixels, providing the highest resolution possible in today’s TV content. However in this time trial, the Full HD image was increased to twice the resolution both vertically and horizontally (4x the surface area), enabling game play at an ultra high resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. This was performed by connecting and synchronizing four Playstation 3’s outputting a quarter of the image each at 1920x1080 pixels, but you must remember this demands an extremely high quality image from the source that can withstand the ultra high resolution. It can be said that this demonstration was only made possible, because the source image was Gran Turismo.

What supported this time trial on the display side, was the newest digital cinema projector from Sony, the SRX-110. This “4K”SXRD”(*1) projector is the next generation in projector technology, enabling a resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels, equivalent to the high resolution image of 35mm film. The high 4000:1 device contrast ratio and a response time of 5 milliseconds, also adds to the level of breathtaking image expression introduced here.

The crowd was simply amazed by the clarity of the image displayed on the massive 220 inch screen, and the players who participated in the time trial expressed their excitement of how perfectly in focus the screen is even close up, and at the quality of Gran Turismo.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2r4tow4.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/winh9y.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2dgmhk4.jpg

http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/sp/d2788.html

To clarify, there were two demos.

One was GT5 at 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) and the other demo was GT5 at 240fps.

Dreamingawake
11-19-08, 06:54 PM
FRICKEN SWEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :captnkill:

MowTin
11-19-08, 07:11 PM
This was performed by connecting and synchronizing four Playstation 3ís outputting a quarter of the image each at 1920x1080 pixels

PS3's in SLI? How is this possible?

wwec
11-19-08, 07:54 PM
Eh. How'd they arrive at 240fps?

Each quarter coming into the projector stays at 60fps, merged or not.

Severian126
11-19-08, 08:03 PM
Jeez, when the hell are they ever going to release this?

Marvel_us
11-19-08, 08:28 PM
Eh. How'd they arrive at 240fps?

Each quarter coming into the projector stays at 60fps, merged or not.

The 240fps comes from 4 PS3's rendering at 1080p. The other demo was only 60fps at 3840 x 2160.

Lyme
11-19-08, 09:02 PM
Jeeze, already talk about the PS4 and the PS3 has only been out for two years. The PS3 still has eight more years of life in it.

Imbroglio
11-19-08, 09:53 PM
Jeeze, already talk about the PS4 and the PS3 has only been out for two years. The PS3 still has eight more years of life in it.

:wtf: you seem to have the first mention of the PS4 in this thread

Lyme
11-19-08, 11:43 PM

Sorry, I forgot that this Polyphony Digital also presented two technological trials for the next generation at this event. refers to cheetos.

crainger
11-20-08, 04:15 AM
::rofl:

If I had room I'd sig that.

fizzelopeguss
11-20-08, 11:27 AM
I'd buy a second PS3 to play killzone 2 at 1080p.

And multiplatform games at 720 ho ho ho. ;)

|MaguS|
11-20-08, 11:36 AM
Man, if sony made that an option to SLi PS3s and actually provide a substantial benefit, that would be awsome.

Lyme
11-21-08, 02:26 PM
Rendering in 240fps is pretty useless, except to say that you can. The human eye really cannot detect frame rates that high. However, it would be really cool if they split the rendering in half, and polarized it using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_D_Cinema

I've seen a movie done with it in the theater, and unlike the old red-blue crap the depth perception was very realistic. (Journey to the center of the earth in theater [not on dvd] uses this)

FastRedPonyCar
11-24-08, 10:10 AM
How about they finish the stinking game and THEN play around with technology!

v3rninater
11-25-08, 11:23 PM
240fps....
You can see the shocking difference of this high frame rate Gran Turismo immediately when you see the screen. It is as though you are following a real world event happening right in front of your face with your own eyes. Any and all flickering in the movement of the vehicle, in the smoke from the tires, etc. are completely gone, and you are almost tricked into believing you are watching something in real life.

BOOOYAH Bill Gates you frickin liar you....60fps is all anyone needs...OH YEA just like that 640k of memory anyone would ever need...EVVER....HMMMM SURRREE!!!

I hate people who lie and try to control instead of taking the limits off!! It's night and day difference between playing Counter Strike: Source at 60hz vs 120hz!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and Hz = Fps btw, you're not seeing typozzzz!!! (<---- lol woops!)

ViN86
11-25-08, 11:29 PM
240fps....

BOOOYAH Bill Gates you frickin liar you....60fps is all anyone needs...OH YEA just like that 640k of memory anyone would ever need...EVVER....HMMMM SURRREE!!!

I hate people who lie and try to control instead of taking the limits off!! It's night and day difference between playing Counter Strike: Source at 60hz vs 120hz!!!!!!!!

your comparing memory restrictions to a physiological limitation.

wow... :retard:

Dreamingawake
11-25-08, 11:52 PM
oh ffs.. sure the 'eyes' aren't capable of picking up more than a certain # of fps

but our perception has only a minimal amount to do with our eyes.

it will matter in the future, -more than 60fps... oh yes, it will.

Lyme
11-26-08, 02:59 AM
Interesting comment, lets decompose it.

There are 1000milliseconds in a second.
FPS stands for frames per second.
The SRX-110 has a response time of 5ms.
Response time is the measure of the fastest a device can transition between states.
1000/5=200.
The article states the tech demo was running at 240fps.
The highest fps the SRX-110 can display is 200fps.

Off the bat, we know that while the non-visible rendering was internally rendered at 240fps, the audience was only being shown 200fps.

As for the question of what the highest frame rate the eye can detect, the answer is: it depends on many things. This article explains many of them http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm There is a tight relationship between what is being shown, how bright it is, how far away it is, the amount of movement, colour, etc, which changes the answer. The Eye can detect changes in light intensity (shades of grey) much more quickly than changes in colour (rods vs cones). The further something is away, also enables the medium to use a slower fps to give the same effect as something close and fast. In addition as you go to a larger screen, keeping the same distance, you can lower the fps simply because it takes longer for the mind to absorb bigger things.

Bill Gates never said "60fps is all anyone needs", but he is a hell of a lot more successful than v3rninater.

Viral
11-26-08, 07:19 AM
It would be nicer if they just finished the damn game.

Though, if you could actually SLI PS3's for benefits in all games it would be awesome. Higher res not so much seeing 1080p is all TV's can do.

FastRedPonyCar
11-26-08, 10:53 AM
240fps....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/forums/2qd3lv6.jpg

XDanger
11-26-08, 11:22 AM
So the PS4 will be 4 PS3's stuck together, Makes sense.

ralinn
11-27-08, 02:47 PM
It would be nicer if they just finished the damn game.

Though, if you could actually SLI PS3's for benefits in all games it would be awesome. Higher res not so much seeing 1080p is all TV's can do.

Good games take tiiiiiiime. It's not an EA title. ;D

XDanger
11-27-08, 03:28 PM
Will there still be no car damage in GT5? Thats the worst thing about GT games.

jlippo
11-28-08, 03:19 AM
Will there still be no car damage in GT5? Thats the worst thing about GT games.
They have promised a car damage, atleast for racing cars.
I just hope that there will be a proper simulation for it as well, graphics are really a secondary thing.

v3rninater
12-02-08, 12:07 AM
your comparing memory restrictions to a physiological limitation.

wow... :retard:

Dude, I'm comparing Bill Gates's limitations, geez I thought this was a computer/tech forum. Do people pay attention in friggin school or what!?

I'll explain because apparently people don't pay attention, if you recall back in the oooold school days in DOS computing. Bill said that 640k memory was all anyone would ever need. That's what, a LIMITATION, good now you're learning.

In windows XP, there was a cap on the gaming when it came out, Bill gates and/or the windows team were saying 60hz was all anyone would ever need in gaming. That's what, another LIMITATION.

What my point was and still is, is that, anytime you limit people to something, especially something that doesn't make sense. Then you won't succeed, just as this article is proving the OP posted.

240fps seemed like real life to people, now that seems like an improvement over 60hz or 60fps. So I'm just saying it's stupid that Bill and the windows team seemed to try to limit computers/technology. That's not a cool trend to me, I can't say for you all but at least for me it is.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW!?!?:headexplode: