PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Expects Improved Physics Effects to Dramatically Popularize Video Games on PC.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MaxFX
11-20-08, 07:40 AM
Very intresting read about where Pc Gaming is heading and this is exactly the injection pc gaming needs.

The possibilities are endless, very impressive and we have just seen Mirrors edge and that's just the begining, Pc Power its so sweet :D

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20081028234106_Nvidia_Expects_Improved_Physics_Eff ects_to_Dramatically_Popularize_Video_Games_on_PC. html

EciDemon
11-20-08, 07:54 AM
There's much more potential now that physx is part of the gpu and everyone with an 8xxx series card or better can use it, that's way better install base compared to the ageia cards before.

but piracy is still rampaging and it wont go away any time soon so I can't imagine pc games selling much better due to added physx support.

Pc has always had the edge with better performance and all what that brings to games.

The best way to sell more games is to create good games and not alienate customers with too restrictive drm protections me thinks.

saturnotaku
11-20-08, 07:54 AM
Not really. It's only going to exacerbate the problems PC gaming already has, which the article already covers.

One of the reasons for that are high system hardware requirements. Not a lot of gamers can acquire trophy PCs with $499 graphics cards and $400 microprocessors in order to get maximum from video games.

To make the matters worse, even highest-end graphics cards usually cannot provide enough performance in many high-profile PC titles. For example, Crysis cannot be considered as an easy game for a graphics adapter a year after release. With more physics effects that should be accelerated by graphics processing units implemented, PC video games will become even more demanding and will require not one, but two GPUs per system. Since mainstream gamers nowadays are unwilling to buy graphics cards that are more expensive than $199 - $299, it is hard to believe that they will invest twice as much just to get additional physics effects. It is even harder to believe that the market of PC gamers will expand by two times with the help of improved physics effects quality since casual PC gamers will definitely not acquire ultra-expensive graphics sub-systems to experience advanced physics.

grey_1
11-20-08, 08:02 AM
I like the physics, but I want gameplay. Devs cranking out games like Dead Space and The Witcher for pc are what I see dramatically popularizing the platform.

Physics could be used for some great puzzles and combat, but it's more likely to be hugely expensive tech demos we'll see, rather than great gameplay.

just mho.

nekrosoft13
11-20-08, 08:07 AM
problem with physics is that is still on tiny scale. some games might have physics here or there. if they want physics to be important it needs to be mimic real life.

how come in some games one wall will break after a rocket blast, but next wall won't. they really need to do so physics effects everything.

nekrosoft13
11-20-08, 08:10 AM
For example, Crysis cannot be considered as an easy game for a graphics adapter a year after release.

problem with Crysis, were gamers not really the game, everyone demanded that they could play the game on highest settings right after release.

there is a reason why PC games have options, set them to what your PC can handle.

Crytek said from the start that Crysis was created from the start with idea that game will get better with each generation of cards, where gamers will set their settings higher.

FastRedPonyCar
11-20-08, 08:34 AM
problem with Crysis, were gamers not really the game, everyone demanded that they could play the game on highest settings right after release.

there is a reason why PC games have options, set them to what your PC can handle.

Crytek said from the start that Crysis was created from the start with idea that game will get better with each generation of cards, where gamers will set their settings higher.

They also said it would be dramatically faster on quad core CPU's and that they had "advanced shaders" for next year's technology :rolleyes:

MaxFX
11-20-08, 08:56 AM
There's much more potential now that physx is part of the gpu and everyone with an 8xxx series card or better can use it, that's way better install base compared to the ageia cards before.

but piracy is still rampaging and it wont go away any time soon so I can't imagine pc games selling much better due to added physx support.

Pc has always had the edge with better performance and all what that brings to games.

The best way to sell more games is to create good games and not alienate customers with too restrictive drm protections me thinks.

Yeah now theres hardware out there like over 100 Milion and growing by the day, like they said nVidia had sold over 100 MILIONS on the 8xxx series cards and thats much much more then even say PS3 and Xbox 360 together so surely the devs will jump all over it.

When there is so much hardware out there and it's so easy for the devs to implement as the consoles can have it to and nVidia is great for helping out the devs I cant see it fail. heh every games have the TWIMP you all know!

Im glad that I dident bought an ATI 4xxx card, all the time I have waiting for some games with PhysX support and now a flood is on the way. so sign me up a GTX 290 is coming my way and the 8800GT 512MB will do good for som PhysX loving :D

LordJuanlo
11-20-08, 09:21 AM
PhysX really needed a push, and that's a wonderful way to start. I hope more games will follow the trend, that could make ATI implement PhysX in their drivers, since nVidia allows that.

fizzelopeguss
11-20-08, 10:25 AM
Need more quality gamer machines being sold for a decent price, it's easier than ever to get into computer gaming these days. Nvidia, intel and AMD need to fund their own killer apps though.

Didn't intel buy project offset a while back, and nvidia seem to be making a decent push with physics.

What happened to those crysis gaming pc's as well that EA were making.

MaxFX
11-20-08, 11:11 AM
Yepp Intel bought them up and will use the game to showcase their Larabee cpu.
If nVidia wanted surely they could put out some pc exclusive games, that would be nice
but they dont need that as they sell so extemely much gfx cards annyway ;)

RejZoR
11-20-08, 04:44 PM
Bunch of tech demos forcebly stuck into <INSERT_RANDOM_GAME> doesn't revolutionize anything. Half-Life 2 revolutionized physics without bunch of useless overused effects.
When will stupid devs get it that physics don't mean just fancy cloth tearing and freakin water sprinkling. Sure it's nice when you see it twice but then it just gets old.
Ragdolls were a lot more interesting as enemies may fall around in difefrent ways actually make killing enemies more interesting. And physics actually afecting gameplay also fall intot hat category (again HL2 *cough*cough*).
So stop doing these useless exclusive features and make something worth calling "physics revolution"... Hell you can hardly take anything of these as physics evolution...

m3dude
11-21-08, 05:53 AM
physx is just nvidia marketing. and lol @ nvidia thinking flags waving in the wind or extra particle effects for explosions is going to sell 2 million more copies of a video game. why are "smart" people sooooo dumb?

LovingSticky
11-21-08, 06:11 AM
Despite having 30" LCD, GTX 280 (700MHz core), 8GB of RAM, and fast RAID-5 array in my computer, I hardly ever use it for games (have 80 of them purchased though).

Since I got Xbox 360 and 46" FullHD TV I play on console 99% of time (I use PC only for games like The Witcher and Spore, which are not published on Xbox). It is simply much more comfortable, games never crash, Live multiplayer is great, and I am always getting acceptable performance, without need for tweaks, settings changing and such. With Xbox I can use my Onkyo receiver and Acoustic Energy Aelite 1/3/center speakers to output quality sound, not primitive Logitech 5.1 THX setup my PC connects to.

PhysX support will change nothing.

It will add another complexity, which keeps people from PC gaming.

When Fallout 3 was out, I had to think like 1 second, before choosing Xbox version over PC one (despite Xbox game being 30% more expensive).

PhysX will not change PC gaming. It will make it even more segmented.

adamove
11-21-08, 07:39 AM
Than you are simply stupid consol retard, put a dvd click play adn have fun for a hour and go go sleep, Fallout looks better on PC

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 07:48 AM
Despite having 30" LCD, GTX 280 (700MHz core), 8GB of RAM, and fast RAID-5 array in my computer, I hardly ever use it for games (have 80 of them purchased though).

Since I got Xbox 360 and 46" FullHD TV I play on console 99% of time (I use PC only for games like The Witcher and Spore, which are not published on Xbox). It is simply much more comfortable, games never crash, Live multiplayer is great, and I am always getting acceptable performance, without need for tweaks, settings changing and such. With Xbox I can use my Onkyo receiver and Acoustic Energy Aelite 1/3/center speakers to output quality sound, not primitive Logitech 5.1 THX setup my PC connects to.

PhysX support will change nothing.

It will add another complexity, which keeps people from PC gaming.

When Fallout 3 was out, I had to think like 1 second, before choosing Xbox version over PC one (despite Xbox game being 30% more expensive).

PhysX will not change PC gaming. It will make it even more segmented.

everything you listed can be done on PC, with better results,

LovingSticky
11-21-08, 08:35 AM
everything you listed can be done on PC, with better results,

Yes, it can. But most people (myself including) do not have complete HT setup with great speakers and dedicated receiver around their PC, neither FullHD TV connected. They have this in living room.

I work 10+ hours daily on my PC, and I do not want to sit on chair (however comfortable it is) when playing, I want to relax on a couch, with Xbox wireless controller in my hands, having friends around, playing local multiplayer, listening to great sound on great speakers.

That is fun and relaxation :-)

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 08:51 AM
I work 10+ hours daily on my PC, and I do not want to sit on chair (however comfortable it is) when playing, I want to relax on a couch, with Xbox wireless controller in my hands, having friends around, playing local multiplayer, listening to great sound on great speakers.

That is fun and relaxation :-)

again, can be done on PC, just move it ;)

Trying to shoot with gamepad is not fun, its frustrating.

LovingSticky
11-21-08, 09:06 AM

I agree. But I am no FPS fan, I hate playing CoD2/4 or similar games. And shooting in Fallout 3 can be easily done with Xbox controller.

NaitoSan
11-21-08, 09:12 AM
again, can be done on PC, just move ;)

Sorry to know you suck with gamepad in FPS.

Seriously, are you that thick? You're not getting it. People, like LovingSticky prefers different things. He has already explained the reason, but you keep saying PC is better, PC is better, and PC is better. Jesus, lay off with that PC elitist attitude.

There's nothing wrong to have the best of both worlds.

Bman212121
11-21-08, 09:18 AM

Seriously, are you that thick? You're not getting it. People, like LovingSticky prefers different things. He has already explained the reason, but you keep saying PC is better, PC is better, and PC is better. Jesus, lay off with that PC elitist attitude.

:wtf:

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 09:25 AM

:headexplode:

1) Was talking with LovingSticky
2) From his replies, I’m quite certain he took no offense to it, because none was meant
3) Are you his personal protector?
4) Only said it once here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1851900#post1851900)
5) Btw, i don't "suck" with gamepad, I’m better with K&M. are you going to prove to us that gamepad is more accurate now?
6) This is what forums are for, for constructive calm discussions.

J-Mag
11-21-08, 11:54 AM
again, can be done on PC, just move it ;)

Agreed, people who use the home theater argument for their reasoning behind the use of a console are a few chads short of an election. Ever since I bought an HDTV, my primary PC migrated to the living room...

In regards to PhysX, the only way it will spur more demand is if we see game play implementations of things like wall breaching, multi-story structure collapses, etc... It would also be interesting to see an expansion on the welding /grav gun idea, where you could build defenses or traps out of materials in the environment.

LordJuanlo
11-21-08, 11:59 AM
Ever since I bought an HDTV, my primary PC migrated to the living room...

Mine too, and I coulnd't be happier since I did it.

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 12:26 PM
I have a 40feet cable running from PC to HDTV.

GTX280 output 1 = Monitor
GTX280 output 2 = HDTV

switch between them when necessary.