PDA

View Full Version : EGM Ceasing Publication Soon?

evox
11-20-08, 07:36 PM
Buried in the story about PC Magazine is this snippet, which doesn't feature any direct quotes from Young: "Mr. Young said the company was considering taking its other print magazine, the video-game publication Electronic Gaming Monthly, into an online-only format, but would not make a decision before the end of the year."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/business/media/20mag.html?_r=1

NarcissistZero
11-20-08, 09:44 PM
All magazines are doomed, really...

nekrosoft13
11-20-08, 10:02 PM
especially gaming and eletronics magazines. all news hit the web first.

Kaguya
11-20-08, 10:39 PM
I don't mind having something to read in the can, but even that can be satiated with my EeePC 701 now, so I guess that's it for print.

Severian126
11-21-08, 12:35 PM
I used to read EGM a lot back in.....95 or something. I don't read gamer magazines anymore, besides PC Gamer. And even then, all their new issues contain pretty old news. But I do like some of the personalities there, so I listen to the podcast a lot, and I've been a subscriber to that magazine for years, even though lately I just use it as reading material in the john.

S.I.N
11-21-08, 02:16 PM
I've been reading EGM a long time now and still subscribe but everything in it seems like yesterday news. They really should have reinvented it. Reviews and previews 2 months later cant cut it. Blame the internet I guess.

hirantha
11-21-08, 02:21 PM
yep.. i think this is it!!.. i'm not gonna renew my subscription to PCGAMER, Maximum PC and CPU.. bye bye print.

NarcissistZero
11-21-08, 11:00 PM
I've been reading EGM a long time now and still subscribe but everything in it seems like yesterday news. They really should have reinvented it. Reviews and previews 2 months later cant cut it. Blame the internet I guess.

Funny thing is they think previews sell magazines... for me, a preview in a magazine is useless, I can just read it online. Exclusive content, like PC Gamer's editorials and columns, can keep a magazine readable.

Q
01-06-09, 09:42 PM
EGM used to be so awesome when I was growing up. It looks like the news in near official now....

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/208505/egm-closes-1up-sold-in-ziff-davis-shakeup/

|MaguS|
01-06-09, 09:51 PM
I still get EGM, Whats going to happen to my subscription?

NarcissistZero
01-06-09, 09:53 PM
I always saw EGM, and now 1UP, as the MTV of videogames... which has both good and bad meanings.

I read it a lot when I was into the SNES during my early teens, so this is somewhat sad. That said, I never read it now, so I won't be missing much.

I wish Edge was sold here. That and PC Gamer are the only mags left with any merit, in my opinion.

jcrox
01-06-09, 10:51 PM
All magazines are doomed, really...

Yeah, it's cheaper to use the net and you can reach more people easily

Bokishi
01-06-09, 11:08 PM
Damn that's an end of an era

crainger
01-07-09, 12:22 AM
::(:

MowTin
01-07-09, 01:20 AM
I used to rely on their reviews when buying games. I love their 4 separate reviews and scores. It made sense. Not everyone agrees about the same game. More sites/mags should do it that way.

http://castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/Features/magscans/EGM26p22_Sept91%20-%20Cv2BR_Review.jpg

Goodbye EGM :(

S.I.N
01-07-09, 01:32 AM
Cant believe EGM is now gone. Back in the day these things use to get passed around the lunch room like a cheap hooker. I think I still actually remember the first issue I read, it was and issue that had Steet Fighter II in it. It was like seeing a naked woman for the first time. Arcade games were huge back then.(lee)

S.I.N
01-07-09, 01:36 AM
1UP is also gone. I will so miss 1UP Yours podcasts every friday. Holy ****, this kind of hurts now.:(

evox
01-07-09, 02:15 AM
I wonder how much they were sold for? I can't imagine UGO having tons of money, but then again, they have like four dozen different commercial websites....

NaitoSan
01-07-09, 04:26 AM
Dammit, I still read EGM every once a while. Of course it's not the same with oldies like Sushi-X, infamous Sheng Long April Fool's joke for Street Fighter II, etc. I used to get all excited looking at screens of latest arcades especially Mortal Kombat II, or a perfect arcade ports of Street Fighter II Turbo, etc. Those 16 bit war between Genesis and Super Nintendo. I still have old EGM issues in my closet, I'm not going to get rid of them. Sometimes I read them, to bring back some old memories. :)

RIP EGM :(

nutcrackr
01-07-09, 09:16 AM
interwebs are the futures!

nemecb
01-07-09, 11:35 AM
1UP is also gone. I will so miss 1UP Yours podcasts every friday. Holy ****, this kind of hurts now.:(
Wow, WTF? Technically 1Up is still there, but they got rid of basically everyone, so it's pretty clearly not going to be around much longer.

That sucks. I listened to almost all of the 1Up podcasts.:(

nemecb
01-07-09, 12:13 PM
Jeff Green's take on the situation (http://jeff-greenspeak.blogspot.com/)

But since he's obviously hamstrung by having to put a happy face on this bloodbath, I'll just say what would have been nice to read, instead: "Our website is decimated. Our new owners failed to recognize the talent we had, which comes as no surprise since their own website values lowest-common-denominator pandering over quality content. We will do our best to do what we can, despite the fact that they gutted us. This ****ing sucks."

I guess this is the silver lining to him leaving 1Up a while back, since now he's pretty much free to call it like he sees it.

S.I.N
01-07-09, 01:12 PM
Jeff Green's take on the situation (http://jeff-greenspeak.blogspot.com/)

I guess this is the silver lining to him leaving 1Up a while back, since now he's pretty much free to call it like he sees it.

Good stuff from Jeff. I cant believe they would buy such a community oriented site and get rid of such key players like Shane. And that to me is why there is no more 1UP. Its as if they only bought the name. Such idiots. 1UP made such strides with there videos and podcasts and to just basically drop it like nothing.

Anyway Giantbomb will fill my podcast void. Heard them with the 1Up crew last week and they paired very well and was really funny.

Absolution
01-07-09, 10:11 PM
This honestly doesn't surprise me, as a long term subscriber, I've seen their content level go further and further down. Also, the amount of advertisements per magazine go up at the same time.

It has about 5 pages of interesting content. . . if that.

NaitoSan
01-07-09, 10:18 PM
I still have some of thickest issues of EGM... man that was good times. So much stuff to read about and keeps me entertained until next issue. Last few years, it has gotten thinner and I could finish it in one day to few hours and not bother to look back. :( That's the main reason I stopped subscribing.