PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Interview on Games for Windows LIVE, Digital Distribution, Future Plans

evox
11-20-08, 06:46 PM
Good (funny) read, because the guy is BSing quite a bit.

"As Microsoft, we're glad you're playing a PC game on Windows," said Games for Windows general manager Chris Early in an interview at Gamasutra's offices.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21124

NarcissistZero
11-20-08, 08:50 PM
They want you to own a gaming PC and a 360, not realizing how completely redundant that is.

evox
11-20-08, 09:10 PM
They want you to own a gaming PC and a 360, not realizing how completely redundant that is.
I would gladly but a 360, but I avoid it because of RRoD.

delas52
11-20-08, 11:19 PM

that was fixed quite some time ago

ViN86
11-20-08, 11:29 PM

some games are good for 360 (exclusives) others are good for PC (everything else). lol

six_storm
11-20-08, 11:46 PM
Owning a PC and a console isn't all that great any more now that most exclusives aren't really exclusive any more. That's the main reason I sold my 360 - no more good exclusives.

evox
11-21-08, 12:55 AM
that was fixed quite some time ago
Perhaps in the magical fairy world? :p

Nah, seriously, I'd hate if my machine died and I wanted to play something. Not to mention X360/PS3 titles cost usually twice as much as PCs.

People say PCs are expensive but a decent $800-1000 investment lasts a good 2-3 years. If you regularly buy console games, you'll end up paying more-or-less anyway.

I wish Microsoft would drop their double standards and just support one platform. I don't have any problems with Microsoft supporting Xbox360, just don't meddle with any PC developers like Valve or such. Microsoft is trying to hit two birds with one stone and it just isn't happening, especially since one bird is much smarter. :D

NaitoSan
11-21-08, 03:43 AM
I like owning a PC and consoles. I like having more choices to pick whatever suits me better and comfortably. Buying games for consoles' not bad if you wait a bit and find good deals on games. I got Resistance 2: CE, LittleBigPlanet and Motorstorm Pacific Rift for $40 all together (I have a friend at Sony) and around $40 each for Dead Space (PS3) and Mirror's Edge (360) brand new from eBay. That's even cheaper than most new PC games! If you know someone or can find good deals... then it's great. I haven't upgraded my computer and it's been almost 2 years (I think). Maybe someday I'm not up to spend money on upgrading. Most consoles last over 5 years or more (depends how well it's doing) and far cheaper. It shouldn't cost you more if you're being smart on how you buy. Now that's being a smart bird. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love PC games but consoles' a good thing too.

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 06:28 AM
People say PCs are expensive but a decent $800-1000 investment lasts a good 2-3 years. If you regularly buy console games, you'll end up paying more-or-less anyway.

plus considering the ammount you save on games, and don't have to pay for LIVE in the end you either save money or comes out about equal.

LovingSticky
11-21-08, 06:40 AM

I do not think it occurs anymore. My one year old Elite is cold when playing even most demanding games. Wasn't heat primary reason for RRoDs?

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 07:09 AM
heat and poor design were the cause, but if you look at xbox only forums. 360 still fail just at lower %.

saturnotaku
11-21-08, 07:54 AM
plus considering the ammount you save on games, and don't have to pay for LIVE in the end you either save money or comes out about equal.

Only if you absolutely have to have a game on release day. If you can wait a week or two, used copies of recent console releases start to show up at Gamestop--I've seen Resistance 2 and Fallout 3 already. With ongoing coupons from Cellfire.com and my Edge card, I can snag those games for less than $40.

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 08:02 AM
you can grab used PC games(except Steam titles) from places like ebay for cheaper then that.

Plus gogamer often has crazy sales for new games.

delas52
11-21-08, 08:27 AM
Perhaps in the magical fairy world? :p

Nah, seriously, I'd hate if my machine died and I wanted to play something. Not to mention X360/PS3 titles cost usually twice as much as PCs.

I wish Microsoft would drop their double standards and just support one platform. I don't have any problems with Microsoft supporting Xbox360, just don't meddle with any PC developers like Valve or such. Microsoft is trying to hit two birds with one stone and it just isn't happening, especially since one bird is much smarter. :D

i agree 100% (i wish I had enough self control to not upgrade as much as i do though)

NaitoSan
11-21-08, 08:53 AM
you can grab used PC games(except Steam titles) from places like ebay for cheaper then that.

Plus gogamer often has crazy sales for new games.
Not if they have DRM or so. ;)

GoGamer is awesome but not all games are part of crazy sale.

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 09:01 AM
Not if they have DRM or so. ;)

still can be done, only one that really prevents it would be steam only games.