PDA

View Full Version : Eidos trying to censor bad Tomb Raider Underworld reviews

Pages : [1] 2

LordJuanlo
11-21-08, 10:31 AM
It's happening again, after trying the demo it didn't impress me, it has some control and camera problems that can get really annoying. It looks like some sites believe Tomb Raider Underworld is a good, but not great, game, and Eidos doesn't want that it will stop people from buying the game (too late for me, I got it anyway from Steam). Link from Voodoo Extreme (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43125/Eidos-Attempting-To-Suppress-Bad-Tomb-Raider-Underworld-Reviews). Another link (http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/11/21/uk-tomb-raider-underworld-reviews-under-810-silenced-until-monday/).

“That’s right. We’re trying to manage the review scores at the request of Eidos.”

When asked why, the spokesperson said: “Just that we’re trying to get the Metacritic rating to be high, and the brand manager in the US that’s handling all of Tomb Raider has asked that we just manage the scores before the game is out, really, just to ensure that we don’t put people off buying the game, basically.”

British site Eurogamer has already gone live with a 7/10 score, an act the rep said had caused “problems”.

Really lame move from Eidos

Dreamingawake
11-21-08, 10:34 AM
lol it doesn't matter if they censor reviews or not the game speaks for itself..

it's obvious it has problems. but personally i don't care, it's just a tomb raider game
nothing special.

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 10:34 AM
I liked the demo overall, but you are right about the camera and controls in certain areas. Those should have been fixed before release. Even in demo there are few locations that you have to jump to, but camera won't move that far, so basically you are jumping blind.

Q
11-21-08, 10:36 AM
I believe companies have the right to censor reviews in certain situations. One such situation is when you send a reviewer a game early. I think that it wouldn't be outrageous to put a condition on it saying "if the review is bad, wait to release it until the game is actually out". Once its out, its fair game! But if the company is doing you a favor, you should honor a request like that, IMO.

tornadog
11-21-08, 11:10 AM
I am still waiting for Eidos to send me a review copy. I explained to them that I would score it nothing less than 9 and it might even win the game of the year award, when I put the poll up at the end of the year.

PS: Other choices in the GOTY category are

Are you smarter than a fifth grader
Sniper Art of Victory
Ford Racing Offroad
Prison Tycoon 4

LurkerLito
11-21-08, 11:15 AM
I believe companies have the right to censor reviews in certain situations. One such situation is when you send a reviewer a game early. I think that it wouldn't be outrageous to put a condition on it saying "if the review is bad, wait to release it until the game is actually out". Once its out, its fair game! But if the company is doing you a favor, you should honor a request like that, IMO.

I disagree a company should NEVER be able to censor a review. If the company sent a reviewer a game early, then they should either A) say you can't put out a review before the release or B) automatically give the reviewer they sent the game early too permission. Under no circumstances should a game publisher ever have the right to say if you posted a higher than X/10 rating you can post an early review. They should ONLY be able to say you can or cannot post an early review or the review is worthless.

It's crap like this that basically makes all review sites nearly worthless. They all throw their credibility away because they bend over and take it up the *** to try and get early reviews.

hirantha
11-21-08, 11:19 AM
The game looks too childish anyway.. I would rather go play Donkey Kong.

Q
11-21-08, 11:27 AM
I disagree a company should NEVER be able to censor a review. If the company sent a reviewer a game early, then they should either A) say you can't put out a review before the release or B) automatically give the reviewer they sent the game early too permission. Under no circumstances should a game publisher ever have the right to say if you posted a higher than X/10 rating you can post an early review. They should ONLY be able to say you can or cannot post an early review or the review is worthless.

It's crap like this that basically makes all review sites nearly worthless. They all throw their credibility away because they bend over and take it up the *** to try and get early reviews.

I see where you are coming from. Publishers having sway over reviewers can lead to bias and has done so in the past.

I'm just saying that the publisher has more rights when give out early copies with certain conditions attached. It's just like an NDA, IMO. The publisher is doing the reviewers a favor by giving them an early copy. I don't think its too much to ask for them to delay negative reviews for the release date.

If a reviewer just wants to be the "FIRST" to review a game and puts up a positive review to get it out early, who is the villain? The company doing the reviewer a favor, or the lying reviewer who will say anything to be the first?

I'm not saying that the company is always just doing this because they such good people, but the reviewer is just as much to blame when the conditions are reasonable IMO. I know if I worked on a game for two years and sent someone an early copy for review, I would feel slighted by the reviewer for "sabotaging" my hard work.

Mike89
11-21-08, 11:28 AM
The game play itself didn't bother me as I liked both Legend and Anniversary that played pretty much the same. A third person shooter that has the kinds of moves that the Tombraider series has is going to have some camera issues from time to time as any third person shooter does. No big deal to me as the Tombraider series (from Legend up) has been really enjoyable for me to play. My main criticism of this particular game is the rendering of Lara herself, not the gameplay/storyline/graphics/sound, etc. They didn't just change her this time, they created a different person. Same basic outfits and voice is all they kept. They should have called this one, "Tombraider's Next Door Neighbor" cause it's not Lara.

I'm still getting this game but my main hope is that user outfits start pouring in like they did for Legend and Anniversary. With the Anniversary outfits, some of them had the Legend face. I hope that happens with this one. If I can have my Legend Lara face back for Underworld, I'll be happy as a clam.

LordJuanlo
11-21-08, 11:36 AM
A third person shooter that has the kinds of moves that the Tombraider series has is going to have some camera issues from time to time as any third person shooter does

Camera worked much better in Legend and Anniversary

Mike89
11-21-08, 12:32 PM
Camera worked much better in Legend and Anniversary

I think this is just a difference of opinion. I played the demo a few times, and I've played Legend and Anniversary more time than I can count and I didn't see any one was worse than the other. They all have camera movement issues of one kind or the other. As I said, any third person shooter I've ever played has had them. I don't think there is really any way to get around it when the character is always visible. I'd still much rather play Tomb Raider, Bloodrayne 2, etc as a third person shooter than first person shooter.

Lfctony
11-21-08, 12:46 PM
Played it a bit, didn't like it that much. I found that I got stuck too many times for my liking. After trying a specific part 3-4 gaming sessions, I finally gave up on it... :(

XDanger
11-21-08, 03:12 PM
I liked it.

FearMeAll
11-21-08, 03:33 PM
really liked the demo..guess I'm easy to please. I've been liking a lot of games lately that get 7's.

CaptNKILL
11-21-08, 04:21 PM
I thought it was a decent demo, though I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since Tomb Raider 2. I got through maybe 2 1/2 levels of that and gave up. :p

This seems much better than the clunky old games that made me want to stomp on kittens out of frustration. :p

six_storm
11-21-08, 04:47 PM
Tomb Raider 1 was fun, but the rest never really got my attention.

nutcrackr
11-21-08, 05:19 PM
doesn't surprise me coming from the kane and lynch team, really sad.

jolle
11-21-08, 05:58 PM
If a reviewer just wants to be the "FIRST" to review a game and puts up a positive review to get it out early, who is the villain? The company doing the reviewer a favor, or the lying reviewer who will say anything to be the first?
That would put reviewers (or acctually, THEIR publishers) in the situation where they can choose to be the FIRST with a dishonest inflated review score, or stay honest and wait with their low score review until after publish?
If the reviewer does a bad review, the owner of the website or magazine will be more interested in publishing a early review then what the score is, and WILL push for a "fixed" score so they CAN publish early.

I understand how damaging it can be for a publisher to have a bad review out before release.
But DONT send out early review copies if you dont have enough faith in your product.
They arent babies that have to be pampered, its a business and they have to act accordingly.
But demanding a "get out of jail for free" card, just cause your game isnt that good, isnt a good way to go IMO.

This is about being able to sell sub par games on good hype, and guaranteing themselves good hype.
Its understandable, the costs in making a game are huge.
But it isnīt in anyone else interest but the publishers, with the consumer on the short end.

K007
11-21-08, 07:35 PM
the game blows...they probably shouldn't have released a demo...like fc2 did -.-

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 08:58 PM
like fc2 did -.-

haha, they caught me on that one

NarcissistZero
11-21-08, 11:13 PM
really liked the demo..guess I'm easy to please. I've been liking a lot of games lately that get 7's.

Same here... I like a lot of "7" games more than "9" games (like LittleBigPlanet).

NarcissistZero
11-21-08, 11:16 PM
doesn't surprise me coming from the kane and lynch team, really sad.

It's not the Kane & Lynch team... that was IO Interactive. Tomb Raider is done by Crystal Dynamics ever since Legend.

nutcrackr
11-21-08, 11:34 PM
I was referring to Eidos, which is the publisher for both.

NarcissistZero
11-22-08, 12:27 AM
I was referring to Eidos, which is the publisher for both.

Ah, you were refering to the review tactics... I thought you were refering to the score, as in it being dissapointing. Nevermind.

jeffmd
11-24-08, 12:21 AM
I decided to boot up the full version. I was never really a tomb raider player but this one looked to be cutting edge enough for me, it was the first lara croft model that actually looked good imo (Although a few more polys couldn't have hurt. There arn't exactly many other characters on the screen most of the time). I was dissapointed, disspite laras impressive number of smooth animations now ALMOST rivaling that of Shadow of the collosus, Moving about the world and solving puzzles were all fairly linier and for the most part I was stuck in a place until I found the magic ledge or wall to climb or jump from.