PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 FTW!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

mailman2
11-24-08, 12:02 PM
Are you a Dev? Devs don't 'acquire' things through torrent sites.

I never said I got it through torrents. But why do you guys keep pushing the piracy thing? I just said I got it from a friend. How do you know he's not a dev? ;) Besides I don't and haven't said anything about where to get it from or where I got it from. I've just been discussing that it's faster. All this "piracy" talk is you guys doing it.

In conclusion - Windows 7 is much faster than Vista. I am very happy with where it's going.

...and that was the point of the thread. Close it if you want, thats all I was trying to let people here know about it. I'm done. :afro:

Now... if anyone is really interested in benchmarks I'm installing a few games that I have on my Vista HD and will post a few numbers later. I'm not spending hours benching but I will show a few comparisons.

six_storm
11-24-08, 12:13 PM
I really hope MS has learned from their mistakes and fix the problems in Vista. I want a faster OS, one that doesn't weigh your rig down even when you have an awesome rig. If Windows 7 can be released with the Vista problems fixed, I'll be sold and will upgrade on the spot. Optimize the code MS!!! That's all I ask.

spokenfor
11-24-08, 12:50 PM
I want a faster OS, one that doesn't weigh your rig down even when you have an awesome rig.

Q6600 here at 3.4ghz along with 4gbs of ram and Vista 64sp1. I dont know where your coming from but my Vista rig is very snappy.

spokenfor
11-24-08, 12:52 PM
Now... if anyone is really interested in benchmarks I'm installing a few games that I have on my Vista HD and will post a few numbers later. I'm not spending hours benching but I will show a few comparisons.

Im not so sure about this, I see your despise for Vista is pretty apparent so I will just wait for official bench marks to show up as yours may be doctored for all we know.

mailman2
11-24-08, 12:56 PM
Both systems using 180.48 drivers. The Vista HD is WD640 AAKS, the Windows 7 is a slower 320GB Seagate. Vista is beta SP2!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Left 4 Dead

However since the game is capped 60 FPS so the avg is the same. Gameplay feels alot different however...

Vista SP2 -
2008-11-24 12:28:57 - left4dead
Frames: 5040 - Time: 84062ms - Avg: 59.955 - Min: 59 - Max: 61

Windows 7 -
2008-11-24 12:24:03 - left4dead
Frames: 5117 - Time: 85345ms - Avg: 59.956 - Min: 59 - Max: 61

Winner: Windows 7 by a mile. There is a bad Mouse lag in Vista, non-existant in Windows 7 makes 7 feel much faster and smoother.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Far Cry 2 1.01
DX10, 1680x1050, 2xAA, Very High (global)

Vista SP2 -
Avg 64.20
Max 84.92
Min 53.40

Windows 7
Avg 67.89
Max 91.00
Min 55.80

Winner: Again, Windows 7 - it just feels smoother. Framerates show it's slightly faster in Windows 7. All hardware is the same but the HD is much faster than Vista is on.

Crysis Warhead

Vista SP2 - having issues, won't run currently.

Windows 7 -

DX9
min 17
avg 28
max 34

DX10
min 18
avg 28
max 33

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebooting to test boot up times and shutdown... BRB

Vista SP2 -
Startup from beep to working curser 36 seconds
Shutdown 24 seconds

Windows 7 -
Startup from beep to working curser 36 seconds
Shutdown 24 seconds

Looks like SP2 already has the same optimizations that Windows 7 does for shutdown and start up proceedures.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all I'd say the mouse lag in Vista is really the main factor. So far what I've felt and measured put Vista closer to Windows 7 than I thought. The mouse lag is a huge issue though cause I went right from L4D in W7 to Vista and it felt like it was about 1/2 as fast. I never really recognized this input lag with Vista till I could really feel it now. Windows 7 still feels alot snappier surfing and on the desktop, memory usage is about 600 MB idle while Vista SP2 is about 900MB. Pre SP1 is about 1.2GB. Windows 7 is looking good, I resolved the COD WAW issue with updated sound drivers. I have no issue to report at this time.

six_storm
11-24-08, 03:45 PM
Mailman - I don't see much difference in frame rates there . . . typo?

mailman2
11-24-08, 05:45 PM

no, read about the mouse lag though. Significant amount of it in Vista. I havent benched every game I've tried, just the easy ones with bench utilities built in. Left 4 Dead has a FPS cap but its alot smoother in Windows 7. So really FC2 was the only one and they are both DX10 and there was only a slight measureable amount of difference.

There are still big differences with amount of system resources and ram being used between the 2 OSes. Also, keep in mind I have the latest SP2 beta installed in Vista - so my benchmarks and a SP1 or pre-SP1 OS would prolly be slower.

I still vouche for Windows 7, its still faster all around and feels alot faster in games. COD WAW is faster but using a Fraps bench isnt really 100% accurate way to provide benchmarks. Also, keep in mind the drive I have Vista on is nearly twice as fast...

crainger
11-24-08, 09:08 PM

Plz pay attention seven_storm.

I'm curious to try this 7. Has a 64bit beta been released? Are we even allowed to discuss this? I did spot a 32bit beta, but I haven't grabbed it yet.

six_storm
11-24-08, 09:56 PM
Plz pay attention seven_storm.

I'm curious to try this 7. Has a 64bit beta been released? Are we even allowed to discuss this? I did spot a 32bit beta, but I haven't grabbed it yet.

I tried installing it on my junk 120GB hard drive and it would not setup a "setup partition". :( Oh well, I still have Windows 7 in a VM. I'll try to use it a little tonight. I would really like a solid x86 and x64 Beta with a key, maybe I can get one in a few months.

mailman2
11-24-08, 11:11 PM
I tried installing it on my junk 120GB hard drive and it would not setup a "setup partition". :( Oh well, I still have Windows 7 in a VM. I'll try to use it a little tonight. I would really like a solid x86 and x64 Beta with a key, maybe I can get one in a few months.

Well this is beta with new builds coming all the time, but not being leaked. Don't expect a "solid one with key" for awhile. I've heard a public beta is scheduled sometime in January.

Shamrock
11-25-08, 12:00 AM
Well this is beta with new builds coming all the time, but not being leaked. Don't expect a "solid one with key" for awhile. I've heard a public beta is scheduled sometime in January.

Mid-December

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1582

spokenfor
11-25-08, 12:37 AM
no, read about the mouse lag though. Significant amount of it in Vista.

Then there must seriously be something messed up with your Vista Install because I dont get this mouse lag you speak of in any of my games under Vitsta 64.

K007
11-25-08, 03:13 AM
there is mouse lag in vista O.o?!

AngelGraves13
11-25-08, 05:37 AM
Then there must seriously be something messed up with your Vista Install because I dont get this mouse lag you speak of in any of my games under Vitsta 64.

Maybe his monitor has input lag?

crainger
11-25-08, 05:47 AM
Could be poor hand eye coordination too. That's always abummmmmmmmmmer

Oppps sorrry,.

mailman2
11-25-08, 08:21 AM
Im just saying in Left 4 Dead there is a strange mouse lag that I didnt even realize was there until I rebooted into Windows 7 to benchmark it. Its not all games, but it's definitely in Left 4 Dead in Vista. There is nothing wrong with my system. My 22" LCD has 2ms response time. LoL you guys kill me. "OMG THERE IS NO MOUSE LAG IN VISTA, NOT MY PRECIOUS VISTA!!! AHHHH, I KILL!!! I KILLL!!!!"

Trust me in Left 4 Dead when you play side by side with Windows 7 there is.

After playing ALOT of COD WAW last night. It too is alot smoother in Windows 7. I was online for about an hour and a half, then single player for awhile too. Also, Tomb Raider Underworld ran wonderfuly in Windows 7 as well. So far the only issue I've had was the default sound driver Windows 7 installed which wouldn't let me start WAW, once I updated to the latest Vista driver for that device it's been smooth sailing... almost too smooth. I'm thinking of wiping the Vista install on my WD640 AAKS and installing Windows 7 there :)

spokenfor
11-25-08, 10:18 AM
"OMG THERE IS NO MOUSE LAG IN VISTA, NOT MY PRECIOUS VISTA!!! AHHHH, I KILL!!! I KILLL!!!!"

Before I joined here I was a long time lurker and dude you sound an aweful lot like this other character named conrojoe who was banned awhile back.

spokenfor
11-25-08, 10:20 AM
Also, Tomb Raider Underworld ran wonderfuly in Windows 7

Guess what? It runs wonderfuly for me too under Vista 64 as does all of my games without this mysterious mouse lag either.

einstein_314
11-25-08, 10:44 AM
I can't say I've ever noticed any "mouse lag" in vista. At least not compared to XP. Maybe XP also has input lag. Or maybe mailman is a quack. :D

six_storm
11-25-08, 11:22 AM
I've never dealt with mouse lag . . .

Tr1cK
11-25-08, 11:25 AM
I've never dealt with mouse lag . . .

Lucky, I've been waiting two weeks for my mouse to move across the screen.

Wolfhound
11-25-08, 11:25 AM
No mouse lag here

nekrosoft13
11-25-08, 11:49 AM
Or maybe mailman is a quack. :D

we got a winner

mailman2
11-25-08, 01:30 PM
You know what? Im done. You're a bunch of idiotic children. You want to know how Windows 7 is go get your own copy. All I've tried to do is give you an idea of how Windows 7 is shaping up, but you guys are so busy defending your stupidselves its more important to try and cut someone elses opinion down when it's not the same as yours. When you all grow up and have jobs and wives and kids the world is going to be a difficult place for you to handle. Thats not my problem I have better things to do than tell Windows 7 bedtime stories to a group of children.. you should be ashamed of yourselves :thumbdwn:

mailman2
11-25-08, 01:38 PM
Before I joined here I was a long time lurker and dude you sound an aweful lot like this other character named conrojoe who was banned awhile back.

*Reported* ConroeJoe AGAIN this time as Spokenfor. Bye.

looks like he's already been banned