PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 FTW!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

mailman2
11-21-08, 01:30 PM
A buddy of mine 'lent' me his copy of Windows 7 build 6801 x86. So I installed it on my other HD just to check it out. Let me tell you this is what Vista should've been. Its smoking fast, like XP. Games runs butter smooth, much better than my Vista x64 installation.

I've had no issues even enabled the new interface. I cant wait till they put out an official RC of this, from this build I'm really excited over this new OS. Even if you hated Vista you will love Windows 7 - it has more of an XP feel to it, stuff just pops up really fast. I just hope they dont clutter it up with all the crap Vista has with a default installation.

Idle on a clean boot ram usage is about 650-700MB. Vista pre SP1 was about 1.2GB, SP1 about 1GB and SP2 beta is around 900MB. This OS uses alot less system resources and you can actually feel it.

Tr1cK
11-21-08, 01:40 PM
Since disabling Aero, my Vista has been just right. No driver crashes and much snappier.

mailman2
11-21-08, 04:19 PM
Since disabling Aero, my Vista has been just right. No driver crashes and much snappier.

Oh I've had Aero disabled for awhile too. Stock Windows 7 (no services disabled yet) still smokes Vista with Superfetch, indexing and aero disabled!

DRen72
11-21-08, 04:34 PM
Ok, so what about device drivers?
For example, have you installed sound card drivers, video drivers, etc?

Redeemed
11-21-08, 04:41 PM
Ok, so what about device drivers?
For example, have you installed sound card drivers, video drivers, etc?

From my understanding, Windows 7 is based off of Vista's kernel. So if a driver works under Vista, there's no reason for it not to work under Windows 7.

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 04:43 PM
like Redeemed said, windows 7 is based off vista SP2 kernel. so same drivers.

K007
11-21-08, 06:25 PM
compared 32bit to 64bit tho...

as for me..i think vista sp1 is great.

six_storm
11-21-08, 07:13 PM
If Windows 7 is Vista with XP speeds, then count me in. I'll try and grab a x64 copy from work when a beta or RC is released. ;)

hemmy
11-21-08, 08:24 PM
I use 6801 on my Laptop as main OS, all drivers installed

Even with Aero enabled, with the new W7 visual scheme, it is faster than vista.

But I have never had an issue with Vista on my desktop, many things in it feel more responsive than in XP IMO

mailman2
11-21-08, 09:13 PM
Vista drivers for GTX 260 and my sound card was installed from Windows update. So far very very very happy. XP speeds with Vista security and look. I'm extremely impressed for far.

six_storm
11-21-08, 09:22 PM
I'm a little surprised to hear such good reports on Windows 7 so far. But then again, there are a lot of Windows humpers around here. :D I am curious about giving it a shot, maybe in a VM or something.

mailman2
11-21-08, 09:30 PM
I'm a little surprised to hear such good reports on Windows 7 so far. But then again, there are a lot of Windows humpers around here. :D I am curious about giving it a shot, maybe in a VM or something.

When you think about it, Windows 7 is nothing more than Vista without the mistakes of Vista. Microsoft has had time to listen to feedback and strip out unwanted items and fix alot of what was bad or broken with Vista.

Its not new from the ground up or anything.

Medion
11-21-08, 09:59 PM
Oh I've had Aero disabled for awhile too. Stock Windows 7 (no services disabled yet) still smokes Vista with Superfetch, indexing and aero disabled!

Turn superfetch on. After a few weeks, the speed gains outweigh the breaking in period.

six_storm
11-21-08, 10:00 PM
When you think about it, Windows 7 is nothing more than Vista without the mistakes of Vista. Microsoft has had time to listen to feedback and strip out unwanted items and fix alot of what was bad or broken with Vista.

Its not new from the ground up or anything.

And this is a good thing. Vista hasn't been my favorite OS simply because of slowness and a few bugs/incompatibility, but MS has worked everything but the slowness out. This is what throws me to Linux, the snapiness and fast boot times. If Windows 7 can get to Linux speeds, then I just may be a happy Windows user for the first time in years. ;)

nekrosoft13
11-21-08, 10:05 PM
But I have never had an issue with Vista on my desktop, many things in it feel more responsive than in XP IMO

bingo, vista uses more memory, but is more responsive. plus takes test of time better.

xp after few months to a year gets slower and slower, basically requiring reinstall. I haven't experienced that in vista yet

mailman2
11-21-08, 11:21 PM
And this is a good thing. Vista hasn't been my favorite OS simply because of slowness and a few bugs/incompatibility, but MS has worked everything but the slowness out. This is what throws me to Linux, the snapiness and fast boot times. If Windows 7 can get to Linux speeds, then I just may be a happy Windows user for the first time in years. ;)

You sound like me. I've been just sticking with Vista and bearing with it. Installed the SP2 beta and it's better. Until I loaded Windows 7 today though, I realize it's still really night and day. I played a few games and they run so much smoother. Same with just being on the desktop. Memory utilization is just much lower and you can definitely feel it. Boot up and shut down times are alot better too. IE8 feels sluggish, but thats what Chrome is for ;)

crainger
11-22-08, 12:20 AM
Chrome ::wonder::

They are taking a step in the right direction having email apps as a separate download. Not only can we choose our own from the get go. You don't have a redundant program that cannot be uninstalled when they replace it like Windows Mail -> Windows Live Mail.

mailman2
11-22-08, 12:36 AM
Here is a desktop shot. 625MB lol I love Windows 7!

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7870/capture1122200813300ampd8.th.jpg (http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capture1122200813300ampd8.jpg)http://img122.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

Bah, first problem. COD WAW doesn't run under Windows 7. Crysis Warhead and Left 4 Dead run great!

crainger
11-22-08, 01:28 AM
Better than under Vista?

Shamrock
11-22-08, 01:33 AM
Dialup sucks!! If it weren't for that, I'd sign up for Win7 beta program, ARGH!

K007
11-22-08, 01:40 AM
I liked the little notch thing they did with vista's start button, but they seem to have taken that away completely in w7.

SLippe
11-22-08, 02:43 AM
I have it on my other HDD, but I never really even use it. I like it, but everything I do is on XP. I wish I had the x64 version though. I do like, but then again, I liked Vista x64, too.

walterman
11-22-08, 10:08 AM
Personally, i plan to skip Vista & move directly to Windows 7. I have high hopes on it. I prefer the traditional file caching scheme rather than program prefetch.

mailman2
11-22-08, 10:24 AM
I liked the little notch thing they did with vista's start button, but they seem to have taken that away completely in w7.

I ran the blue badge patch to open up the unlocked stuff, but the pinned icons bothered me. So what you are talking about might still be there, I didnt care for all of it.

mailman2
11-22-08, 10:33 AM
Better than under Vista?

Crysis Warhead was playable (and more importantly smooth) at 1680x1050 2xAA, Gamer, DX10. Its not in Vista.

Left 4 Dead - much less tearing and just felt alot smoother. I havent tested FPS but it's the difference I feel between playing a game in Vista and XP. Vista just feels choppier and slower to me. Windows 7 was butter smooth and FPS felt faster.

COD WAW just goes to a black screen - still working on that. I see everyone else running Windows 7 having the same issue so it looks like a game issue.