PDA

View Full Version : Creative Labs needs to burn in Hell!

Elvin Presler
11-26-08, 02:10 PM
I stopped using Creative's ridiculously over-priced garbage years ago, the first time their bloatware drivers added a "Try AOL Free!!!11" shortcut to my desktop and registry, not to mention the horrible quality, game crashing, hissing, muffled quality of their hardware/drivers.

My alternative was to use superior sound cards for about 1/4 the price with C-Media chips instead, like the X-Mystique 7.1 Gold (http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-mystique.php) or X-Meridian (http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian.php). These sound cards used Sensaura for their 3d effects rather than the garbage that is EAX.

So a few years ago, in true monopolist fashion, Creative Labs bought Sensaura (http://techreport.com/discussions.x/5955) , like they did A3D a few years before that. The part that truly shows what scum they are is what happens now. Not only did they destroy Sensaura, but...

This is what you find on C-Media's driver sight now:

"Due to the expiration of Sensaura license, the driver download site will be temporarily suspended. We will reopen the download site when the new driver is available." (read "never, except for our next chip")

Not only did they nuke Sensaura for the future, but they are reaching into the past to force removal of their very existence and go retro active and in effect, take away all sound cards that ever used it. Fortunately I have backups of the drivers, but pretend for a second I didn't. That I just bought this sound card.

In short, I could not post in nasty enough words the contempt and utter loathing I have for Creative Labs. What a truly scum sucking, bottom feeding, low down, dirty @#$%ing piece of &%#$ company they are!

CaptNKILL
11-26-08, 02:16 PM
It sucks, but the sound card business has to be pretty tough since no one buys sound cards anymore.

Elvin Presler
11-26-08, 02:19 PM
They don't?

crainger
11-26-08, 02:21 PM
No. You are the only one. You're really weird.

nekrosoft13
11-26-08, 02:27 PM
HAHA, he is upset about something that happened in 2003. c-media drivers are pathetic, took me over a year to release somewhat stable vista driver.

CaptNKILL
11-26-08, 02:30 PM
They don't?

Not really.

Go to newegg and try to find the sound card section. Its buried in the huge category list and isn't in any of the normal menus under computer hardware.

I think I bought my X-Fi 3 years ago and I haven't really considered putting a sound card into any build I've planned out since then, for gaming or for general use.

Integrated sound is pretty solid these days so only people with very specific needs have any reason to spend $100-$200 on a sound card.

I like my X-Fi and I'll be using it until it dies or integrated sound actually surpasses it in features, but if I were to give someone the specs of a system to build for gaming or general use I see no reason to include a sound card unless they want to hook it up to a sound system and need digital encoding support or they specifically play a lot of older games and want hardware sound in Vista with ALchemy.

Elvin Presler
11-26-08, 02:48 PM
Integrated sound is pretty solid these days so only people with very specific needs have any reason to spend $100-$200 on a sound card.

You have me curious now...I think I will remove my sound card and try the onboard sound just to see how it is. I think I've had onboard sound on almost every motherboard I've owned and NEVER actually used it.

As for the $100-$200, that is exactly why I don't use Creative Labs crap. For $15-$50 you can get a better sound card with a C-media chip.

2003 is when they bought Sensaura, now is when it is having an effect. A retroactive effect.

I have never had any trouble with C-Media drivers. They're usually about 2 megabytes instead of 40-80 or some crap, and are simple and effective. Never had any game that stutters, hisses, cuts off sound, crashes, etc. because of them like nearly every game did with Creative cards/drivers. Plus I get Dolby Digital encoding on the fly. I think there's been like 2 games, ever, that used EAX that I could not use, but they sounded just fine without it...if not better. I've never had to turn the hardware acceleration slider down to prevent problems with my C-Media chips like I had to do with almost every game with a Creative Labs card (which of course disables every feature you bought the POS card for in the first place).

Medion
11-26-08, 03:07 PM
I think I bought my X-Fi 3 years ago and I haven't really considered putting a sound card into any build I've planned out since then, for gaming or for general use.

I removed my X-Fi and started using my Realtek ALC 885. For my needs, it's better. There are no issues with it, sound quality is good enough, and since reformatting without installing Creative's drivers, my PC hasn't crashed once. That was 6 months ago :)

but if I were to give someone the specs of a system to build for gaming or general use I see no reason to include a sound card unless they want to hook it up to a sound system and need digital encoding support or they specifically play a lot of older games and want hardware sound in Vista with ALchemy.

Realtek now has a utility similar to Alchemy. It's called 3D SoundBack, and works with all Realtek HD Audio codecs (not AC97). It's in beta, but it's very polished for a beta.

Mr Bigman
11-26-08, 03:07 PM
Yea Creative isn't nothin they once were back in the days before the live series.

I use Creative cuz i know who they are but i have one of the Xonar cards from ASUS that uses PCU-ex and works alot better than the Xfi but i have the bay for Xfi and thats why i haven't upgraded that system yet with newer soundcards.

CaptNKILL
11-26-08, 03:18 PM
As for the $100-$200, that is exactly why I don't use Creative Labs crap. For $15-$50 you can get a better sound card with a C-media chip.

I have never had any trouble with C-Media drivers. They're usually about 2 megabytes instead of 40-80 or some crap, and are simple and effective. Never had any game that stutters, hisses, cuts off sound, crashes, etc. because of them like nearly every game did with Creative cards/drivers. Plus I get Dolby Digital encoding on the fly. I think there's been like 2 games, ever, that used EAX that I could not use, but they sounded just fine without it...if not better.

No sound card under $90 is really worth buying over onboard sound these days. Its been like that for at least 2 years.

What was the last creative card that you used?

CaptNKILL
11-26-08, 03:23 PM
Realtek now has a utility similar to Alchemy. It's called 3D SoundBack, and works with all Realtek HD Audio codecs (not AC97). It's in beta, but it's very polished for a beta.

Then there is even less reason to buy a soundcard now. :p

Do realtek drivers support OpenAL yet?

nekrosoft13
11-26-08, 03:29 PM
i agree with Capt, any sound card under 90-100 is useless compared to onboard, especially if that card comes from c-media.

why do you think auzentech released x-fi prelude? because their c-media cards didn't sell for crap, and because of huge ammount of complains about drivers, and c-media lack of help.

auzentech probably will avoid c-media in future, they next card will be x-fi based again.

CaptNKILL
11-26-08, 03:39 PM
i agree with Capt, any sound card under 90-100 is useless compared to onboard, especially if that card comes from c-media.

why do you think auzentech released x-fi prelude? because their c-media cards didn't sell for crap, and because of huge ammount of complains about drivers, and c-media lack of help.

auzentech probably will avoid c-media in future, they next card will be x-fi based again.

Yep. If I were to buy any sound card in the near future it'd be the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude because you get all the (small) benefits of having an X-Fi card and the best encoding capabilities out there.

Since it costs $175 though I don't see myself buying one any time soon. :p

Although, with a standard X-Fi card and a good CPU you can probably get by with the software encoding from the drivers without any performance loss for around $100.

bob saget
11-26-08, 03:43 PM
my external one is fine....had to dl the vista driver from their site....

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/sc/30580579-2-440-overview-1.gif

nekrosoft13
11-26-08, 05:49 PM
Yep. If I were to buy any sound card in the near future it'd be the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude because you get all the (small) benefits of having an X-Fi card and the best encoding capabilities out there.

Although, with a standard X-Fi card and a good CPU you can probably get by with the software encoding from the drivers without any performance loss for around $100.

i like their new card ;)

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_hometheater_hd.php

einstein_314
11-26-08, 06:46 PM
i like their new card ;)

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_hometheater_hd.php
Wow! That thing looks sweet! I wants one for my HTPC!!!

Elvin Presler
11-26-08, 08:08 PM
...why do you think auzentech released x-fi prelude? because their c-media cards didn't sell for crap, and because of huge ammount of complains about drivers, and c-media lack of help.

Because Creative Labs bought Sensaura, then sent their bully...er...lawyers out after anyone trying to support their Sensaura based products and basically ruined their entire previous line of cards unless they want to create their own new 3d audio tech that is somehow compatible with them from scratch? What Creative has done is in effect put everyone other than them out of business without actually buying them out. C-Media will now have to go into production on a whole new line of chips. It would be like if I bought all the oil in the world then refused to sell it to anyone. I didn't do anything to Ford or GM Motors, but they are now out of business or working real hard on a new line of engines...and everyone who owns a car is just screwed.

You're right about Newegg not even having sound cards where you can find them any more. That is interesting. Last time I looked they still had their own section.

Anyway, I did test out my onboard audio today. Realtek HD type, and yeah, I saw that 3D SoundBack stuff, but haven't had need to try it yet. Anyway, the onboard was...not half bad. I'd sure use it before I bought anything from Creative or from anyone having anything to do with Creative, like Auzentech's X-Fi crap.

The last Creative card I used myself was a Sound Blaster Live. Supposedly the best sound card ever back then. It was absolute junk. Every one of them I ever saw. I replaced it with a $14.99 C-Media 8338 or whatever it was back then and it blew the SBLive away. I've had many dealings with Audigys of all flavors too, all junk.

CaptNKILL
11-26-08, 08:59 PM
I guess I've always been in the minority with my sound card experiences.

I never had any real big problems with Creative cards other than having difficulties finding drivers for one of the Live Value OEM cards but those things are nearly 10 years old now.

In the three years I've had my X-Fi Xtrememusic I've hardly had any problems. There were some issues when Vista was first released but its nothing like the problem that Auzentech had with their drivers... they didn't even HAVE a driver for the X-Plosion until 6 months after Vista was officially released and had been available for over a year.

I never used an Audigy so I can't commend on those but the X-Fi has been a very solid card for me, as were the Live cards, especially considering that they were still commonly used almost 10 years after they were first released.

EciDemon
11-27-08, 03:10 AM
For me the sound card is almost as important as the gfx card.

Up until the X-Fi I never had any problems with my previous creative cards (sb16, sb32, live, audigy2) The "crackle and pop" issue on the x-fi haunted me for a while with the old rig but went away.
You buy a x-fi or similar for the extra features. This is what makes creative sound cards unique I think as they offer good sound for games but also lots of power for music production.
Sure there are better sound cards for music production but then you don't get the gaming part.

I spend just as much time producing music as I game on my rig so I'm quite happy with my card.

wysiwyg
11-27-08, 07:30 AM
i love my extreme gamer x-fi, i havent tried my asus motherboards onboard sound but i found the card superior to the nforce

$n][pErMan
11-27-08, 01:13 PM
I am still kicking on my X-Fi Fatal1ty... great card IMO. I am using drivers from like a year ago... but I have no issues with them so I am not even going to experiment with new sound drivers. I don't get any popping. Works great on both my 5.1 and headphones :) On my new rig I will probably just take this card with me :)

crainger
11-27-08, 02:43 PM

it's cheaper to buy an older X-Fi and use the new drivers to get encoding. No reason to get a Prelude, especially as Creative is faster with updated drivers.

CaptNKILL
11-27-08, 03:12 PM
Is there any performance difference though? I thought the Prelude did "hardware" encoding where the X-Fi does "software" and can be laggy or create more CPU load.

$n][pErMan
11-27-08, 03:40 PM
Is there any performance difference though? I thought the Prelude did "hardware" encoding where the X-Fi does "software" and can be laggy or create more CPU load.
I dont think CPU load for most gamers is really an issue these days with the CPU's that are out :p

crainger
11-27-08, 06:01 PM

Nope. X-Fi and Prelude both use the same method via software like all DLL cards. Only difference is Prelude can do DTS Connect.

I've found no performance difference I can see. Then again i have quad core with plenty to spare. The sound is better though as I'm bypassing the DACs on the X-Fi Xtrememusic which aren't that great. Least not compared to the High end X-Fi and Prelude. Surround is also more definite and separate which was great in games like Fallout 3 which doesn't have the best surround to begin with. It only costs 4 bucks to upgrade. Better than a Prelude if you already have a X-Fi.