PDA

View Full Version : Mafia impressions?

cricket
08-28-02, 06:26 PM
has anyone got their hands on "MAFIA" (fpshooter)....it was released today. if anyone gets it tell us if it is worth it and how good/bad it is....i am interested in maybe getting it my self but i want some feedback on it first.

nin_fragile14
08-28-02, 07:16 PM
I'm thinking about getting it too, but don't want to spend the 40 dollars without knowing about it. I wish more developers would just release a damn demo.

volt
08-28-02, 07:50 PM
Well, there is plenty of action in that game I can tell you that. Graphics? I will say better than GTA3 (especially on the characters). Character faces are sooooooooo detailed, I was really stunned. Much better than in SOF2. Car details are awsome, so is the driving. Each car handles differently. Controls are "ok". I think GTA3's are much better suited. What else ? ask if you want :)

nin_fragile14
08-28-02, 09:43 PM
How is the performance? I just get a feeling that game will run terribly.

volt
08-28-02, 09:47 PM
Max details, 1280x1024 and 2x AA about 30 FPS

volt
08-28-02, 10:27 PM
Here are some screenshots (they are big, so wait till it loads)

http://rootforce.phpwebhosting.com/mafia/

CyberDude
08-30-02, 01:28 PM
Ya, i've been playing this game for a while now about half way through single player, but game performance is pretty crappy, anyone know of any tweaks that will make this game run better?

nin_fragile14
08-31-02, 09:39 AM
I got it yesterday, and haven't played too much yet, but it seems pretty fun. The performance is not very good though; I play at 1024x768 with all the details up, and get anywhere from 17-35 fps when I play. Not good for a 2.3 ghz. Perhaps it's my old video card...

CyberDude
08-31-02, 02:56 PM
Fragile, I get the same type of performance, even with my video card, seems the engine itself wasnt optimized very well. But I find it runs a bit better with Vsync on, im trying out different settings at the moment, so I will have to see.

nin_fragile14
09-01-02, 12:26 AM
Yeah, even resolution doesn't make a difference, which is disheartening; that usually means it's CPU limited, and that doesn't make sense on a 2.3 ghz. I wonder if a new video card would even help that much, especially considering you said performance wasn't much better on your 4400.

nin_fragile14
09-02-02, 02:07 AM
I played a lot more of it today, and I must say, this is, in my mind, game of the year. The story line is interesting and very well done, which is something I haven't seen in years. It's very mature and well acted. The missions are fresh, not GTA 3 rip offs, and everything moves along at a great pace. This game rocks.

Typedef Enum
09-03-02, 01:50 AM
non_fragile...

I must ask the question...The image that you use...who is that chick? She looks familiar, but I cannot put a finger on it...? :)

Kruno
09-03-02, 05:33 AM
Yeh! She is too sexy for my shoes. ;) :P

Is it in 1 of those drama movies?

CyberDude
09-03-02, 03:49 PM
Yes, very good game, I beat it yesterday and enjoyed all of it, good story line and good ending, worth playing all the way through :)

nin_fragile14
09-03-02, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Typedef Enum
non_fragile...

I must ask the question...The image that you use...who is that chick? She looks familiar, but I cannot put a finger on it...? :)

It's Jennifer Connelly, who has been in A Beautiful Mind, Requiem for a dream, and dark city. I saw the full picture of it on a magazine at Barnes and noble, then went and found it online, because she looks so damn good in it.

Matthyahuw
09-09-02, 07:09 PM
DAMN this is a good game!
My only issue with the gameplay so far is that racetrack level...didn't enjoy that much...but the storyline is top notch, performance could be a bit better, loads too much, boggin the system down a lot...

The Baron
09-09-02, 09:03 PM
Random OT post..... Requiem for a Dream is THE most disturbing movie EVER.

FastM
09-11-02, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
Random OT post..... Requiem for a Dream is THE most disturbing movie EVER.

Yes it was actually... But she is a good actor to watch. Or just to look at period :p

t6_shadow
09-18-02, 12:37 AM
"I got it yesterday, and haven't played too much yet, but it seems pretty fun. The performance is not very good though; I play at 1024x768 with all the details up, and get anywhere from 17-35 fps when I play. Not good for a 2.3 ghz. Perhaps it's my old video card..."

I am sick and tired of this **** too. Can't anyone make a game that runs decently anymore? Fragile in your sig it says radeon 9700 pro which is the fastest vid card on the market right. Plus a 2 ghz + processor? WTF? Um and someone else with a gf4? Wtf? That game should EXTREMELY fast with those systems. 35 fps is not fast. It should run at about 60 minimum. God learn to program an engine.

fishlung
09-18-02, 02:17 AM
I had a crush on her, when I was a kid, after seeing Labyrinth. She's just as much a beauty in Pollock (excellent film) as she was in The Rocketeer. She doesn't even really look 32, if you ask me. Fine wine, I tell ya.

Huh? Oh, and Mafia is a pretty cool game. :)

cricket
09-27-02, 10:10 PM
i got mafia today(9-27-02) basically i was tired of waiting for other games to be released (like ut2003 & nolf2) so i bought it, and have been intensly into since installing it. it takes a little while to get use to this type of gameplay but it is a well done game. my advice.."if you havent bought it, go to the nearest store and grab it" ......" it rocks! http://mafia.godgames.com/main.html