PDA

View Full Version : My Gigaworks broke... what now?

Jon
12-02-08, 03:06 PM
So I was playing Far Cry 2 most of the weekend. When all of a sudden my computer just turns off. Never happened before. It restarts quite happily. But no sound...

So I check my gigaworks 750... the control pod lights are off. The power light on the back of the subwoofer is off... Tried a different kettle cable. Still the light won't come on. So it looks like my speakers are dead.

So now I'm worried... did my speakers blow and cause my PC to turn off... or did summat happen in my PC causing my speakers to blow? They are pretty old speakers. But I'm worried about getting a new set in case they break too.

Anyone got any suggestions of how I can bring them back to life?

If not, what do you guys recommend I get to replace them? I'm either looking for 5.1 or 7.1 speakers... or maybe even give gaming headphones a try.

Q
12-02-08, 03:32 PM
Awwwww, I'm sorry to hear that! I love my 750s!

I would take the sub to another room and plug it in with a separate cable just to be sure you don't have any power issues in the immediate vicinity. I doubt the PC caused them to blow, unless you had a very large surge (which would have fried much more than speakers) and it got transferred through the sound card through the wires to the sub. Unlikely though...

Make sure to check the fuse on the sub!

I've heard that these sets just tend to mysteriously go bad over time with no rhyme or reason. I've had mine since 2003 with only a few minor problems.

CaptNKILL
12-02-08, 03:42 PM
Yeah, check the fuse on your sub\amp.

You probably got a power surge. I don't think its possible for a computer to damage a set of speakers. Maybe if you stick 2 wires into an electric outlet and touch them to the sound card it might travel through the wires and cook something, but you obviously didn't do that. :lol:

Jon
12-03-08, 02:01 PM
I've tried another power cable and a different plug socket in a different room. Rushed to the electrical store after work and picked up 2 new fuses. Tried both of them (think thats called denial)... but still no power light on the back of the sub. :(

Q
12-03-08, 03:04 PM
I've tried another power cable and a different plug socket in a different room. Rushed to the electrical store after work and picked up 2 new fuses. Tried both of them (think thats called denial)... but still no power light on the back of the sub. :(

:(

(salute)

Good luck on your new speaker search. Please let me know what you find and if they compare at all with the good ole 750s. I doubt you'll find a sub (in a PC speaker set) that could ever annoy your neighbors like that one.

crainger
12-03-08, 04:01 PM
Logitech 5500Zs!

They are cheap and good for PC!

Console too. I have my 5500Zs on my 360 and PS3. 680Zs are on my PC.

Madpistol
12-03-08, 05:25 PM
I concur on the Logitech speakers. I have a Z2300 2.1 system on my desktop. Love the sound it produces, and durable to boot (going on 4 years now). I also bought a set of 2.1 Z4 speakers for my fiance, and while they don't sound as rich, they're also extremely durable

+1 for Logitech speakers. :D

Feyy
12-03-08, 06:02 PM
Ive got the T6200 5.1's from Creative.

Great stuff :D

crainger
12-03-08, 06:08 PM
Also headphones! Sennheiser FTW! Open design stops sweaty ears. Closed means strong bass and quiet nights.

Q
12-03-08, 07:27 PM
Also headphones! Sennheiser FTW! Open design stops sweaty ears. Closed means strong bass and quiet nights.

I have the HD 570's. They're very nice.

crainger
12-03-08, 07:29 PM
I have an entry level set. 212s or 215s something like that. Great set for games, lots of low end bass. Almost rumble on my ears like my old force feedback headphones.

Technoholic
12-03-08, 08:47 PM
Logitech FTW.

I want Z5500. I have Z5300e and Z2300. They rock. :D

mullet
12-03-08, 11:39 PM
Z5500's = no brainer.

Jon
12-04-08, 03:50 AM
The 5500's look good. But won't be able to afford them until after xmas. I can't survive that long without gaming though. In the meantime I'm looking at:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-001-RA&groupid=702&catid=1058&subcat=692&name=Razer Barracuda HP-1 5.1 Surround Sound Headset

Or

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-003-PT&groupid=702&catid=1058&subcat=692&name=Plantronics GameCom 777 USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headset

Hmmmm, both get really good reviews... the 777 says it requires a usb sound card!? Or does it just mean a normal usb port?

The razer says it has 4 speakers in each side for positional sound... not sure if the other headset has that.

Which one should I go for?

EciDemon
12-04-08, 06:58 AM
I'd go with something cheap. No sense in spending too much on a temporary solution.
If they are connected to usb then the headphones are it's own soundcard with some amplification, it dont sound too good if you connect a pair of headphones directly to a soundcard with no amplifier in between.

When I buy new headphones I usually look at stuff aimed for home entertainment systems or go look in music stores where you buy musical instruments. There you can usually try out all the different brands and models and experience the stuff before you buy

Jon
12-05-08, 04:52 AM
Managed to get the Plantronics GameCom 777 headphones for half price... they should arrive today! I'll try and keep an open mind although I am really missing my speakers.

I've seen a few comments about the 5500's blowing the fuse a lot. It has me a little concerned. For a bit extra I could get the wireless gigaworks 550's:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-086-CL

EciDemon
12-05-08, 06:59 AM
Meh, wireless ... I vote 5500's too

hirantha
12-05-08, 09:46 AM
there is nothing Z680 500Watts of power :)

crainger
12-05-08, 03:09 PM
Managed to get the Plantronics GameCom 777 headphones for half price... they should arrive today! I'll try and keep an open mind although I am really missing my speakers.

I've seen a few comments about the 5500's blowing the fuse a lot. It has me a little concerned. For a bit extra I could get the wireless gigaworks 550's:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-086-CL

Yeah. They even come with a replacement, but it is an easy fix.

Bman212121
12-05-08, 04:23 PM
I honestly haven't heard of people blowing fuses on the Z-5500. Both mine and my friends sets are a few years old and neither of use have blown a fuse yet.

crainger
12-05-08, 10:47 PM
Haven't blowen one on mine either. Nor my 680s. I only ever put mine of standby though. Rarely to I cut power altogether.