PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Newell Hates DRM

evox
12-02-08, 09:32 PM
Surprised no one posted this yet. :p

As far as DRM goes, most DRM strategies are just dumb. The goal should be to create greater value for customers through service value (make it easy for me to play my games whenever and wherever I want to), not by decreasing the value of a product (maybe I'll be able to play my game and maybe I won't).

We really really discourage other developers and publishes from using the broken DRM offerings, and in general there is a groundswell to abandon those approaches.

Werd.

http://ih8evilstuff.livejournal.com/16992.html

saturnotaku
12-02-08, 09:34 PM
Who cares what that fat SOB has to say?

Oh wait, he's saying good things about PC gaming. Best. Developer. Evar. :retard:

Medion
12-02-08, 09:37 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't he one of the guys behind Steam? If so, then this quote kind of irks me:

The goal should be to create greater value for customers through service value (make it easy for me to play my games whenever and wherever I want to)

As a service member who deployed to Iraq once for 12 months, and is going back in April for another 15 months (27 months in a 4 year span), Steam pisses me off. You simply cannot play your games out there. I was better served with retail copies with no-cd cracks.

evox
12-02-08, 09:56 PM
Who cares what that fat SOB has to say?

Its funny because he makes more money in a month than you do in a year? He also runs a multi-million dollar business. But I guess his body weight takes precendent over his accomplishments in life?

Oh wait, he's saying good things about PC gaming. Best. Developer. Evar. :retard:
lol, hopefully you were referencing yourself with the retard smiley.

Ninja Prime
12-02-08, 10:20 PM
Its funny because he makes more money in a month than you do in a year? He also runs a multi-million dollar business. But I guess his body weight takes precendent over his accomplishments in life?

lol, hopefully you were referencing yourself with the retard smiley.

Whoosh! Buy a sarcasm detector.

ahheadlock
12-02-08, 10:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't he one of the guys behind Steam? If so, then this quote kind of irks me:

As a service member who deployed to Iraq once for 12 months, and is going back in April for another 15 months (27 months in a 4 year span), Steam pisses me off. You simply cannot play your games out there. I was better served with retail copies with no-cd cracks.

you can back up the game data from the steam directory though, copy it into the new one on the other PC. I think you still need to be on the net to 'activate' the game, but it wont suck all the data back down.

malachi1313
12-02-08, 10:36 PM
That's what i like best about steam. As long as it is installed on a different partition than your os your good to go. You don't even have to put a key in or nothin. Your main partition can get borked and all you have to do is re-install and run it and everything is peachy.

Crow_Nest
12-02-08, 11:03 PM
I agree with gabe on this. DRM only discourages PC gaming since the console versions have no DRM. And that makes PC gamers more willing to pirate the games. If DRM really becomes a standard practice from now on i think i'd deliberately pirate every single DRM game just to spite them.

|MaguS|
12-02-08, 11:07 PM
Way to take what he said out of context evox. He doesn't ever state he hates DRM, he dislikes how many companies implement it. Steam itself is a form of DRM... You can't share any of your games with a friend unless valve allows you to...

crainger
12-02-08, 11:11 PM
That's what i like best about steam. As long as it is installed on a different partition than your os your good to go. You don't even have to put a key in or nothin. Your main partition can get borked and all you have to do is re-install and run it and everything is peachy.

LOL

I've been making backups like a chump! All I gots to do is put it on my spare drive. ::o:

Lfctony
12-02-08, 11:20 PM
Well, other than Steam requiring an internet connection all the time, it doesn't impose any other limitations on the user, like 5 installs and blah blah. You know before hand that a connection is required, but other than that, you can install/uninstall as many times you want. Which makes it much better than Securom activation... That requires an internet connection as well but do it say 5 times and you're screwed. No thanks... I'll have my game cracks now please...

Medion
12-03-08, 12:18 AM
you can back up the game data from the steam directory though, copy it into the new one on the other PC. I think you still need to be on the net to 'activate' the game, but it wont suck all the data back down.

Unless they've removed the requirement for a constant internet connection, I'm still screwed. In Iraq and Afghanistan, personal internet connections are hard to come by.

CaptNKILL
12-03-08, 12:24 AM
Unless they've removed the requirement for a constant internet connection, I'm still screwed. In Iraq and Afghanistan, personal internet connections are hard to come by.

As long as the games are single player and you've bought and downloaded them already it should work.

Back in the spring when I moved I played HL2 Episode 2 with no problems at all and I didn't have internet for about a month.

You can pretty much do this with as many computers as you want so if you have a laptop in Iraq with you and a gaming system at home you can install steam on both, keep all of your games on both and play the games on either system as long as you aren't playing on both at the same time (though I've seen that work I'm sure its against the rules).

jAkUp
12-03-08, 01:16 AM
I just recently started using Steam often because of Left 4 Dead, and I have to say, it is really awesome, I wish that it would become a standard because it is so easy to sync up with your friends and such, and also has so many other great features.

hemmy
12-03-08, 01:35 AM
I like steam now as well, but I used to be an adamant Steam-hater (It truly used to be horrible)

Mainly because Valve bought Counter Strike, messed it up, then put it on this "steam" thing that didn't work half the time

But I have come around

bacon12
12-03-08, 08:49 AM
I love steam, and use to to launch all my games now, but there is one thing I wish they would change. You can't sell your copy ever. There are many titles I own there that I wish I could get 5 or 10 bucks for so I don't feel like I was completely ripped off.

I will continue to use it daily, but unless I am lazy or can't get a retail copy I will not buy anymore games from them. The fact that L4D was cheaper than a steam preorder at CC also pissed me off.

nekrosoft13
12-03-08, 09:00 AM
I wish they would add better support for non-steam games. you can add shotcuts to steam my game list.

but i would like for those games to be threated in similar fashion to steam games.

1) show developer, publisher
2) when you play non-steam game, to show the actual title, not just say non-steam game
3) detect patches

xfire can do those things, why can't steam

|MaguS|
12-03-08, 09:00 AM
I try to buy all my games through steam now, I won't even bother with Direct2Drive if steam has the game... even if its more expensive on steam. I just love how easy it is to manage your games.

Valve should work with publishers to allow importing of older titles into steam so if you have the disc you can get it download through steam in some form of trade in program. You mail them the disc with a small service fee and they give you a code to download the same game within steam.

six_storm
12-03-08, 09:13 AM
I luvz me some Steam.

LurkerLito
12-03-08, 10:27 AM
I agree unless there is some reason a game would be better without steam I always prefer the steam version usually. For me the only reason to not buy on steam is if it's on GoG.com, it's significantly cheaper to buy the retail version, or because region restrictions make your copy censored (like The Witcher).

Medion
12-03-08, 10:44 AM
Valve should work with publishers to allow importing of older titles into steam so if you have the disc you can get it download through steam in some form of trade in program. You mail them the disc with a small service fee and they give you a code to download the same game within steam.

I've often wondered if they'd do this too.

I try to buy all my games through steam now, I won't even bother with Direct2Drive if steam has the game... even if its more expensive on steam. I just love how easy it is to manage your games.

I looked and saw that they had the Witcher for $39.99 on Steam. I went and got the enhanced box, with all the goodies, for $30. I'm not paying more for a game on Steam, when it has a CE version in stores that costs less. For example:

If Madden were $59.99 retail, $79.99 CE, I'd pay $59.99 for the Steam version at most. No way in hell am I paying $89.99 for it on Steam.

|MaguS|
12-03-08, 10:52 AM
If Madden were $59.99 retail, $79.99 CE, I'd pay $59.99 for the Steam version at most. No way in hell am I paying $89.99 for it on Steam.

Well no way I would spend that much on a game... well except for Chrono Trigger 2, System Shock 3 or Final Fantasy 6-2. :p

Medion
12-03-08, 10:56 AM
Well no way I would spend that much on a game... well except for Chrono Trigger 2, System Shock 3 or Final Fantasy 6-2. :p

My point wasn't how much I'd spend, but the fact that I'm not paying more for a digital copy than I would for a retail CE copy :)

|MaguS|
12-03-08, 11:01 AM
My point wasn't how much I'd spend, but the fact that I'm not paying more for a digital copy than I would for a retail CE copy :)

I usually don't care about CE stuff. It a waste of space... That's why I love Steam, I can get the same exact game without the need to worry about physical stuff.