PDA

View Full Version : Two cloned Monitors with different resolutions without panning ?

x-plode
05-26-03, 10:08 AM
Hi group!

I have a Nvidia Quadro4 900 XGL-card (Driver Version: Detonator 43.51) and want to connect it with 2 Monitors.
The first one should have a resolution of 1280*1024 and the second one 1024*768.

I have enabled the clone-feature of the driver and have set the resolution of the second monitor to 1024*768.

But the so called panning on the second monitor is a little bit impractical.
Instead for me it would be more useful to disable this panning and to see the whole screen at once on both monitors without any scrolling.
(But I don't mean the "Deactivate Auto-Pan"-feature).

Does anyone have experience concerning this? Or is this in principle not possible?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

cu,
x-plode

omv
05-26-03, 06:56 PM
Well, if you don't want panning, how are you going to see all the pixels? The only way would be some sort of scaling, and in this case it would be downscaling, which would probably give unreadable results on the second monitor.

Why not just set the primary monitor to be 1024x768? At least that way you have a 1-1 mapping between the monitors... If your primary monitor is a flatpannel, you'll have some upscaling going on, so it won't be as sharp...

Is this for some sort of presentation-setup? Seems odd that you'd want to drive both monitors with the same image, rather than doing a span or other bigger desktop extension. Then you can easily set up different resolutions...

x-plode
05-26-03, 07:18 PM
Thanks for your answer, omv.

The only way would be some sort of scaling, and in this case it would be downscaling, which would probably give unreadable results on the second monitor.

Yes, probably a kind of scaling - I thought in this direction.
But you could also be right that the result would be bad.

Why not just set the primary monitor to be 1024x768? At least that way you have a 1-1 mapping between the monitors...
Is this for some sort of presentation-setup?

Yes, indeed, it is. And the second "monitor" is just a beamer, that works best with 1024 (crappy old thing ;-)
And the first device is a TFT working best at 1280 (another reason: the CAD-application is not manageable below this resolution).

cu,
x-plode

omv
05-26-03, 07:50 PM
Hmmm - yeah, so you really do want a downscaling. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a way to do that without extra hw. I took a quick peak through the nview options, and didn't see anything promising.

I think you have to either turn on panniing, or leave it at a fixed position and only show a subset of the main display.

Another longshot - if you can find a 'zoom' application that supports zoom-out, maybe you could run in multiple-monitor mode and drop the zoom window on the second display? I don't think the zoom built into nview supports this, but haven't tried it myself.

omv
05-28-03, 09:42 PM
You're refering to Dualview (under the Desktop Utilities tab). You end up geting the classic multimonitor setup since windows thinks you now have 2 video cards.

Unfortunately, I think x-plode really wants a clone-view mode with downsampling.