PDA

View Full Version : new cpu, mobo and mem... advice plz

snowmanwithahat
12-03-08, 08:41 PM
so as the topic says... i'm going to be looking at a new cpu mobo and memory it seems..... it seems that my opteron has finally bit the dust.... althogh im' not too sure why... I really hope it's not the 260 i just bought because it went dead right after i installed it....

anyway... If i were to be looking at a new system, what would you all suggest?

I'm currently debating quad vs dual cores setups....

I'm also clueless as to a motherboard although DFI LanParty X38-T2R looks to be good

memory... 4gb something or other, still not sure yet either... any advice?

thanks

snowmanwithahat
12-04-08, 04:37 PM
I haven't really considered the i7's since this is very much an unplanned upgrade. I am more or less looking to replace my current AMD stuff because it appears to be dead.... and make a small upgrade while doing it. I'd much prefer to just not spend the money... but it happens

It looks like the most recent ones that I've looked at that seem decent are the Q6600... and the E8400. Although, i have to say that right now i'm significantly leaning towards the quad-core right now.

There is always the option of repair my AMD system with a new motherboard.... uck, I think it's time to get out of the AMD and DDR days....

bob saget
12-04-08, 06:31 PM
i would recommend to go for Q6600. It should last for a long time, and they are not expensive now.

snowmanwithahat
12-06-08, 07:39 PM
any suggestions on a motherboard for the Q6600? I've heard that X38 boards don't overclock wiht the quadcores for some reason... I'm not sure what i should be looking at but currently its DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2RB that i'm looking at.

Blacklash
12-06-08, 08:47 PM
You may want to have a look at some of the DFI P45 boards and see if anything strikes your fancy features vs price-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=dfi+p45&x=0&y=0

One of the highest rated P45 mobos out is the Asus P5Q Deluxe-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131297

snowmanwithahat
12-06-08, 09:40 PM
After looking... It looks like I'll be looking towards the Q6600, I am looking to push it to 3.6ghz, a 50% overclock.... that'd be a FSB of 400mhz. Basically I'm just looking for a motherboard that'd fulfill those needs, stay cool and quiet (passive cooling is nice since i'll be using a Zalman 7700 - CU to cool it. and only single GPU capabilities are needed.... possibly another slot for Physx... but I don't think i'll ever go for an SLI setup for the cost.

Will the X38 DFI board be able to accomplish that? I'm not particularly fond of spending more than $150, and can i realistically expect that out of a Q6600? It's been a very very long time since I've looked at reviews of intel boards and processors... From what i'm seeing on these forums thogh most people are obtaining that 3.6ghz without too much difficulty.

Thanks for the help.

john19055
12-10-08, 11:33 AM
If you are ever did want to run SLI in the future then the Evga NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI for $169 that has two PCIe 16x slots is not a bad deal .You can get 2 x 2gigs of OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB PC2 8500 for $70($40 after $30 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233023

This would be a big increase in speed with a GTX 260 or run two in SLI or newegg has a BFG GTX 280OCE for $349 ($314 with $35 rebate)Plus it comes with a free game FarCry2,3DMark Advantage and a Flash lite.

snowmanwithahat
12-11-08, 09:48 AM
thanks for the advice john, I had this amd board with SLi capabilities, and never used them.... I ended up buying a Gigabyte P45 board instead about 3 days ago... it should be getting in friday so i'll let you all know how it goes.

It does have 2 pci-e slots, but not sli capabilites, which is fine with me, on only a 22" at 1680x1050 sli isn't really needed, and It gives me the convenient option of using an older and MUCH cheaper card than another 260 for a physx card, I plan on buying my friend's 8600 GT (he just got a 260 too) for about $20 and using that as a dedicated physx card. Thanks for the advice though, the 750i does look like a decent chipset, but I think i'm ready to go back to intel again... the NF4 (while i know it's not relaly comparable) was good.... but it had huge downfalls and I'm ready to go back to intel, I loved the 875P that I had back in the day on my Abit IC7-MAX3.... this is also my first non-Abit board too so i'm excited to try it. (not true actually... my first board was a DOA gigabyte, lol wish me better luck)

john19055
12-13-08, 09:00 AM
That Gigabyte 45 is a dam good board ,you should be happy with it.

snowmanwithahat
12-16-08, 02:22 PM
So.... I have run into quite the problem

it seems that when using memory that isn't approved on the Gigabyte website, you may run into the issue where you can't run it in dual channel with the best stability.

I have the OCZ - Gold series (2x2gb) and it doesn't seem to be on the approved vendor list with this specific 2gb module. I have occasional hard-locks when in windows, whether it's just booting, playing games... it ranges from a multitude of temperature and memory loads, but appears to be random.... So far it seems that running 1 stick of memory (2gb total) works fine... I'm going to try 4gb total in one bank, people are reporting that this is working fine for them on other sites.

So if anyone else is looking... be warned. I would give it a 3/5 based on this problem alone... then again if your memory doesn't give you these problems with the chipset, it's an amazing board and definetly a 5/5.... but i can't say i approve of having to run single channel memory just for stability since the whole dual channel concept was introduced more than 5 or 6 years ago.