PDA

View Full Version : New Killzone 2 Gameplay HD - O M F G!!

Pages : [1] 2

PeterJensen
12-04-08, 05:50 AM
What a ****ing masterpiece!!!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43373.html

From IGN:

On top of this, Arjan pointed out, lighting and motion blur effects within the game are performed as a full screen pass to blend all of these effects together. Arjan stressed that the game's engine was so detailed that, "each pixel has velocity. It's not just a special effect, but this is used for particles, it's used for explosions, and it's used for motion blurring for character movement, which adds an extra sense of depth."

There's much more to the Killzone 2 engine than deferred rendering and screen passes; in fact, Arjan mentioned that every composite that is rendered within the game is placed solely upon the SPUs to lock in the framerate at a solid 30 FPS. During small battles, one or two SPUs will pick up a majority of the action, but during heavy firefights with large explosions and numerous characters onscreen, all six SPUs will pick up the load and balance everything accurately. Surprisingly, even within the heaviest firefight onscreen, Arjan pointed out that the largest load on each one of the SPUs didn't exceed 60%, which ensured that the framerate remained consistent throughout the game. On top of this, Arjan pointed out everything from light bloom and internal lens reflection effects to true geometric particles that fly from walls and collide with the ground realistically based on the direction of an explosion.

What's more, each light that's shown in a level, whether it's the individual lights on an ISA outfit or from the Helghast goggles, are true lights that will illuminate their environment. This means that as the Helghast move, for example, their glowing faces will actually cast beams of light that will fall on the walls and other objects around them. On one map, he indicated more than 200 individual light sources that behaved as true lights along with the other finer details, rendering and screen passes from before. Arjan also pointed out that "every single polygon within the game as a texture id, so when it's shot in the game, it responds accurately to the particular bullet." That includes ray tracing of every bullet hole, but it also includes loads of detail that might be easily missed by players as they run and gun their way through these battles like dynamically burning cloth, swelling and flowing water, and dust and smoke particles.

PeterJensen
12-04-08, 05:54 AM
In some ways they have better gfx then the target CGI from 2007 :)

Toss3
12-04-08, 06:06 AM
I think I just came in my pants a little.. :) That looks absolutely stunning! Too bad they don't have better hardware to work on as some of the textures look pretty awful, but the weather effects and color palette suits the game perfectly!

Game of the year anyone?

S.I.N
12-04-08, 11:59 AM
To be honest all the videos released so far makes it hard to gauge the graphics quality but after hearing preview after preview praise it I'm confident it will look amazing. Cant wait.

HiCZoK4
12-04-08, 02:09 PM
I dont like to advantage ps3 graphics but in this case(and few others) it looks incredible !
I am curious would that be able to be done on 360 or pc

|MaguS|
12-04-08, 09:05 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43388.html

Awesome technical interview!

Snake101st
12-04-08, 09:18 PM
I dont like to advantage ps3 graphics but in this case(and few others) it looks incredible !
I am curious would that be able to be done on 360 or pc

Yes. And better. No one takes the time to actually grasp good pcs' power anymore, though.

saturnotaku
12-04-08, 09:21 PM
Oh joy. Another gray-ish-brown first-person shooter set in a post-apocalyptic universe featuring a marine/space marine who can regenerate his health. Wonder how many sewer levels there will be.

saturnotaku
12-04-08, 09:22 PM
Yes. And better. No one takes the time to actually grasp good pcs' power anymore, though.

Because they're businesspeople who know that it's financial suicide to do so.

Buenamos
12-04-08, 09:30 PM
Wow, this game has really been polished since the last time I've seen it. In the past I was saw the footage and thought it was a bit meh......but now it looks absolutely incredible! Can't wait to play it when it comes out!

|MaguS|
12-04-08, 10:16 PM
Oh joy. Another gray-ish-brown first-person shooter set in a post-apocalyptic universe featuring a marine/space marine who can regenerate his health. Wonder how many sewer levels there will be.

They have only shown a single level... They stated many times that the entire game wont look dark and greyish brown. I expect some jungles, now their wont be any rainbows like you want but it wont be so the same throughout the game.

MowTin
12-04-08, 10:41 PM
The lighting and models look awesome but the levels seem confined. From the looks of it, it totally blows away anything on the 360.

I've learned no to get to excited about trailers. You get your panties all wet only to read reviews complain about AI and bugs.

SH64
12-04-08, 10:44 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43388.html

Awesome technical interview!
Interesting info thanks for the link!
it looks good for a console FPS but generally i dont see something that sets it apart from other recent FPS games on consoles.

Marvel_us
12-05-08, 12:27 AM
Game is definitely looking good. Hopefully it still comes out in Feb. Would make a great bday gift to myself!

firehawk
12-05-08, 08:43 AM
something about the game doesnt interest me at all...

it looks nice and all that, but the art and style used looks REALLY bad to me

like a crappy concept for a sat morning cartoon or something...just generic looking
you can have all the technical hoo ha you want, but if its boring design its worthless

MaxFX
12-05-08, 08:57 AM
Killzone 2 only using 60% of SPU's overall power

http://www.psu.com/Killzone-2-only-using-60--of-SPUs-overall-power-News--a0005629-p0.php

Now were talking and of course this couldent been done on a 360, nowhere close I think and as we seen this is just the begining. PS3 really starts to show how supreme it is :D

saturnotaku
12-05-08, 11:18 AM
The Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/news.html?sid=6201940&tag=topslot;title;1) preview has me even less enthused as it goes into more detail about the gameplay.

Knot3D
12-05-08, 11:25 AM
The Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/news.html?sid=6201940&tag=topslot;title;1) preview has me even less enthused as it goes into more detail about the gameplay.

This the part you dislike ? Gamespot :"Starting you off like this seems like Killzone 2's way of saying that running and gunning won't cut it; you're going to learn to be patient and deliberate with your targets, and you're going to learn right away."

SurfMonkey
12-05-08, 12:03 PM
The only people who won't like this game are 360 owners and people who think Wii sports is a replacement for real fresh air...

This game is awesome down to a technological level that could be the tops of this generation. And no the 360 (without catching fire) couldn't do it, maybe two linked together could just about support the physics (and it has nothing to do with GPU power). The average top end PC would walk it though fair play, if you hit the metal and had a quad core.

Think of an effect that can be rendered by this gen of chippery and KZ2 does it. Fact. No other game does. Fact. There is no comparison. Fact. It looks better than the CGI trailer. Fact.

Then again it may just end up be a mediocre game like halo 3 or gow 2, it's shiny so it must be better. Hopefully they will include some gameplay in there!

m3dude
12-05-08, 03:07 PM
no it isnt even close to the cgi trailer. fact. the cgi trailer uses more polys in one characters head then an entire frame of the realtime rendering. fact. the ps3 coldnt even render 1 of the characters from the cgi preview at 30 fps. fact.

NaitoSan
12-05-08, 03:49 PM
I love 360 and PS3 equally, (and PC too). And man, KZ2 looks amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on it. It'll probably one of GOTY in 2009.

saturnotaku
12-05-08, 05:20 PM
This the part you dislike ? Gamespot :"Starting you off like this seems like Killzone 2's way of saying that running and gunning won't cut it; you're going to learn to be patient and deliberate with your targets, and you're going to learn right away."

That's a start. Let me run through them:

To do this, you'll need to become good friends with the game's cover system. It's a sticky cover mechanic where you pull L2 to snap right onto nearby walls or low barriers.

A mandatory cover system for a first-person game? Strike one.

Killzone switches things up in the next chapter, Visari Square, by pitting you against a seemingly endless flood of Helghast in a series of prolonged standoffs.

Strike two.

Of course, you do have teammates alongside to lend you a helping hand at nearly every point in the game. It can be anywhere between one and several dozen at once, but the ebb and flow of battle is something you determine on your own since you're generally taking the lead and letting the others follow you. You won't need to worry about any sort of squad commands, but a bit of teamwork is required when a buddy goes down.

Combine that with this:

ev isn't the most vocal guy in the world, but you'll hear plenty of quips from teammates like jokester Dante Garza and the perpetually vulgar Rico Velasquez. Most of the story unfolds in the heat of battle via dialogue delivered from these squadmates,

And you have strike three.

S.I.N
12-05-08, 05:42 PM
Why are you trying so hard not to like this game which is not even out yet?:o

NaitoSan
12-05-08, 06:15 PM
Game is definitely looking good. Hopefully it still comes out in Feb. Would make a great bday gift to myself!
Guess we both have birthday in same month. :D

SurfMonkey
12-05-08, 06:46 PM
no it isnt even close to the cgi trailer. fact. the cgi trailer uses more polys in one characters head then an entire frame of the realtime rendering. fact. the ps3 coldnt even render 1 of the characters from the cgi preview at 30 fps. fact.

Sadly it seems my ps3 can render Facts with capitals which in itself should tell you something. But to humour you, I never compared poly count - that would be suicide - but comparative rendering quality. On par ... hmm Yeah! Doh.

And sadly the 360... Why am I wasting time....