PDA

View Full Version : Asheron's Call 2 beta available on Computer Games Magazine

monkeydust
08-28-02, 07:53 PM
EB now has the October issue of Computer Games Magazine which comes with a CD with the Asheron's Call 2 beta on it (along with a username and password). So, if anybody is into that sort of thing, pick it up and I'll see you in game. This game with the high res texture pack is enough to bring any high-end system to its knees (lots of pretty pixel shaders). I'm getting patched up right now (25% done) and will be in soon. There still might be some sort of NDA thingy so I might not be able to post my impressions on here yet.

nin_fragile14
08-28-02, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by monkeydust
EB now has the October issue of Computer Games Magazine which comes with a CD with the Asheron's Call 2 beta on it (along with a username and password). So, if anybody is into that sort of thing, pick it up and I'll see you in game. This game with the high res texture pack is enough to bring any high-end system to its knees (lots of pretty pixel shaders). I'm getting patched up right now (25% done) and will be in soon. There still might be some sort of NDA thingy so I might not be able to post my impressions on here yet.

:eek:

Going to definitely, definitely pick that up tomorrow. Awesome.

Ramshambo2001
08-28-02, 09:26 PM
Just went down to EB as soon as i saw this thread. And all i saw was BLACK HAWK DOWN.......... BLACK HAWK DOWN!!!!! Well just going to have to wait a couple more days to get my hands on it. :(

monkeydust
08-28-02, 09:29 PM
Most EB's have it already. It's the October issue, can't miss it (Asheron's Call 2 stuff all over it).

I've been playing for the last hour or so. Taking me a while to get used to it. Sure looks nice. :)

nin_fragile14
08-28-02, 09:41 PM
My friend checked EB tonight, (edit, noticed he just posted about it) and the only had September issue. Maybe it'll be in tomorrow?

monkeydust
08-28-02, 10:06 PM
The AC2 beta forums are now open so that everybody has access to them - http://groups.msn.com/asheronscall2betacommunity/

Most people said that the Computer Games Magazine October issue started showing up on Tuesday (picked mine up on Wednesday). It seems like the majority of the people that went to pick one up was able to (though some said they didn't have it in yet).

monkeydust
09-05-02, 03:22 PM
You guys in it yet? Best MMORPG ever! :)

Message me in game when you get in!

monkeydust in red and green worlds.

EDIT: Oh, here's me too! - http://home.indy.rr.com/monkeydust/images/cap0.jpg

Ramshambo2001
09-06-02, 04:20 PM
runs at like 4 fps. Too choppy and laggy for me. Never got the magazine just used my fileplanet subscribtion, Playing earth and beyond now.

monkeydust
09-06-02, 05:12 PM
4fps? I'm getting about 20fps at 1280x960 with everything as high as possible with AA.

PCarr78
09-06-02, 09:03 PM
Ack!

but your system is fast!

What do you get without AA?

monkeydust
09-07-02, 09:26 AM
I get about 24fps at 1280x960 w/o AA. Today I've settled on using 1152x768 w/Quincunx AA where I am getting 22-25fps.

Ramshambo2001
09-07-02, 12:33 PM
I have a 933 p3 384 mb pc133 and radeon 8500, not fairing to well with all the models and big areas. i do well in the caves though, but in the end i think i will just wait till it comes out to play it some more, hopefully by then i will be running it on a brand new clawhammer :)

monkeydust
09-07-02, 01:56 PM
The thing that I like most about it is the devs said that they coded the engine for tomorrow's systems. That means that it will bring most of today's machines to a craw if you turn all the eye candy up and run it in high rez.

The game reminds me alot of Morrowind in terms of graphics. The environments are quite similar but the character models look better in AC2 than Morrowind.

PCarr78
09-07-02, 10:01 PM
Better wait for hammer/nv30 then

My trusty p3700 and GF2 won't cut it.

:(

marqmajere
09-11-02, 02:14 PM
I've been playing this for a while. Kinda annoying that there arent' any vendors, but it's only a beta so not a big deal. A couple of areas are coded kinda funny, but a reboot of AC2 seems to fix it. I'm also getting around 40 fps @ 1024 X 768 with the eye candy on. Great game. Liked it better than Earth and Beyond.

Marqus

nin_fragile14
09-12-02, 06:42 PM
It seems pretty fun so far. What I don't like or get though:

Frill looks bad and chugs the system. I just turn it off.

It runs pretty nice... it was unplayable on my Geforce, and the Radeon helps quite a bit.

One complaint about performance--it stutters. A lot. When loading areas, it pauses and then loads and then loads some more. They really need to load in an entire zone so it's not so choppy at times.

What's the deal with the blacksmith area? People are crowded around it and I don't know what to do. (It is obviously very important considering there are no merchants and you must make your own weapons )

monkeydust
09-13-02, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by nin_fragile14
What's the deal with the blacksmith area? People are crowded around it and I don't know what to do. (It is obviously very important considering there are no merchants and you must make your own weapons )
When you are within range of a blacksmith workshop, it gives you a bonus to succeed when you are crafting weapons or amour.