PDA

View Full Version : Finally MS comes good

tornadog
12-05-08, 08:48 AM
I had an RROD again week of thanksgiving. I wasnt mightily pissed as I was going away on vacation. So I print the label and mail it out on 24th Nov. They receive it the 25th. On 27th I get a mail saying its been repaired and shipped back. On Dec 2nd its at my doorstep, turnaround time of 1 week. Heres where it gets better. I had sent in one that had the original 1.0 motherboard and Hitachi drive. I got a replacement system that has the zephyr board with hdmi and the new Liteon drive. I have to say this is the most silent I have ever seen my 360 to be. Even when I turn it on, theres no jet rotors starting. I hope this is my last 360!!!

Medion
12-05-08, 10:31 AM
If you got a Zephyr board, you're not out of the woods yet. I would have hoped for at least an Opus.

-Xenon (90nm CPU, 90nm GPU, no HDMI)
-Zephyr (90nm CPU, 90nm GPU, + HDMI, improved cooling)
-Falcon (65nm CPU, *90nm GPU, + HDMI)
-Opus (65nm CPU, 90nm GPU, no HDMI) - only used as a refurb unit for Xenon, never was sold at retail
-Jasper (65nm CPU, 65nm GPU, + HDMI, +256MB internal flash)

*There's some debate on whether Falcon/Opus still had the 90nm GPU, or if it was shrunk to 80nm.

Here's the easiest way to tell which version console you have. All you have to do is look at the female end power connector, located on the back of your console :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/faranheit/Xbox360_Model_Guide.jpg

S.I.N
12-05-08, 11:21 AM
My nephew just got his 5th one back today. It was made in July and looks new but no HDMI nor does it have a updated plug. The least they could have done is give him one of the latest revisions of the hardware being that this is his 5th RROD system.:thumbdwn:

S.I.N
12-05-08, 02:28 PM
How about that. We finally got around to hooking up his system after waiting four weeks for it to return and its dead. This will be the SIXTH one. Unbelievable.:thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Medion
12-05-08, 02:30 PM
How about that. We finally got around to hooking up his system after waiting four weeks for it to return and its dead. This will be the SIXTH one. Unbelievable.:thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Go to Walmart, buy a new console, put the old one in the box, return it. It's one of the few places that doesn't check serial numbers. Now, use your head. If you have a core/arcade unit (white system, no chrome), don't buy a 60GB Pro or an Elite.

When you do this, Walmart returns it for reclamation, causing MS to take the financial hit. It costs MS more this way than it does to constantly return shoddy refurbs to people like you. It was this retail swapping trick that caused Sony to rush and fix the launch PS1 issues so quickly. They were losing millions from that fiasco.

NaitoSan
12-05-08, 02:37 PM
My Elite is Zephyr. It's still doing great but, once Jasper start pour in, I might trade mine in for one. But really, should I? I think I have like one year left on product replacement at BestBuy.

I'll probably wait until it's close to expiration, that way Jasper should be everywhere. Just like I did with Pro for Elite. So nice that I actually got money back from getting Elite after price cut. :D

Medion
12-05-08, 02:45 PM
My Elite is Zephyr. It's still doing great but, once Jasper start pour in, I might trade mine in for one. But really, should I? I think I have like one year left on product replacement at BestBuy.

I'll probably wait until it's close to expiration, that way Jasper should be everywhere. Just like I did with Pro for Elite. So nice that I actually got money back from getting Elite after price cut. :D

Most of the RROD issues were with Xenon. Zephyr and especially Falcon are reliable enough that these issues have been greatly reduced. However, there's just been so many returns and re-returns for those launch Xenon systems that the entire product line has a bad reputation.

Right now, the Arcade Jaspers are available in many stores, but I've yet to see a confirmed Jasper sighting of a Pro or an Elite. A quick check of local stores shows a buttload of Pro stock with September 2008 mfg dates. That means we could be a mere month away from Pro systems sporting the Jasper chipset, if this current inventory sells out.

As for the Elite, they're in stock in most places, and the mfg dates range from May-July 2008 in this area. We could be a good 6 months away from spotting Jasper elites consistently. If you get "stuck" with a Falcon, you should be alright.

betterdan
12-05-08, 02:50 PM
Where did you get that picture from Medion? Actually my 360 Elite has a 175w power supply and a manufacture date of 2/25/2008 making it a Falcon but the power connector looks similar to the first zephyr example.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/betterdan/IMG_0708.jpg

Medion
12-05-08, 03:32 PM
Dan, is that the connector on the power supply, or did you rip that from the console? The markings in the picture are what the console's end looks like, not the power supply itself. Look at the back of your 360.

betterdan
12-05-08, 03:33 PM
oops, yea the console itself looks like the second pic which would be the Falcon. :o

The pic I took was of the cable end that plugs into the console.

NaitoSan
12-05-08, 03:39 PM
Dan, what's your XBLA gamertag? Don't think I find yours anywhere...

Medion
12-05-08, 03:40 PM
Your plug is like that to prevent it from being plugged into a Zephyr/Xenon model, as it would not power it. All of the plugs are forward compatible (you can use the 203W psu from the Xenon on the Jasper), but they are not backwards compatible (the 150w psu from Jasper won't work on a Xenon). Smart thinking on the part of MS.

betterdan
12-05-08, 03:42 PM
Lt Farty Pants

:o

tornadog
12-05-08, 03:59 PM
I am sure mine's is a zephyr as there is a notch in the middle of the plug on the console side.

NaitoSan
12-05-08, 04:12 PM
Lt Farty Pants

Nice gamertag name. lol I just requested to add you on my friendlist. :D

betterdan
12-05-08, 04:14 PM
Just accepted. :)
I like being able to access your account from the computer when you're not on Live.

crainger
12-05-08, 04:39 PM
Lt Farty Pants

What?! That's hilarious. Ima add it just so people can see 'Lt Farty Pant is online'

Erda
12-06-08, 11:20 PM
Just sent my Falcon to Microsoft for repair. Can't believe I had to. My Xbox 360 was working perfectly, but just this week I received the dreaded E 74 error message.

It's painful that my copy of Prince of Persia will collect dust while I have to wait. :(

LycosV
12-07-08, 02:04 AM
Go to Walmart, buy a new console, put the old one in the box, return it. It's one of the few places that doesn't check serial numbers. Now, use your head. If you have a core/arcade unit (white system, no chrome), don't buy a 60GB Pro or an Elite.

When you do this, Walmart returns it for reclamation, causing MS to take the financial hit. It costs MS more this way than it does to constantly return shoddy refurbs to people like you. It was this retail swapping trick that caused Sony to rush and fix the launch PS1 issues so quickly. They were losing millions from that fiasco.

Just for the record it's not a "trick", it's fraud, and it's against the law.

S.I.N.: I can't imagine that they'd send the console back without at least testing it. Have you checked the four digit error code when it red rings? Maybe your power brick is bad or something else.

S.I.N
12-07-08, 01:59 PM
Just for the record it's not a "trick", it's fraud, and it's against the law.

S.I.N.: I can't imagine that they'd send the console back without at least testing it. Have you checked the four digit error code when it red rings? Maybe your power brick is bad or something else.

Turns out its a general hardware failure which which we really cant diagnose ourselves. I actually think it might be the power brick as the console they sent us is from July which means its most likely using the new 150watt PSU but the one we have for the 360 we sent in is rated at 175watt and a replacement was not sent so we cannot test this. Oh well.

nekrosoft13
12-07-08, 02:19 PM

nice reliable hardware