View Full Version : Rockstar Talks GTA IV Technical Problems

Pages : [1] 2

BioHazZarD
12-06-08, 06:04 AM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/936/936304p1.html

TheANIMAL
12-06-08, 06:12 AM
Damage control, nicely done PR.

By the sounds of it the most complex lighting and shadow systems are tied directly into the resolution, hense the resolution restriction on lower end machines.

nutcrackr
12-06-08, 06:13 AM
hey guys lets set up an interview to address all the problems with the PC version and then claim there are NONE!

NarcissistZero
12-06-08, 09:54 AM
hey guys lets set up an interview to address all the problems with the PC version and then claim there are NONE!

I don't think they claimed there are none, they simply said they are exaggerated on the forums, which... honestly, isn't that obvious?

They're working on a patch, which should be good news for those with problems. Nvidia release special GTA4 drivers, which is nice. They make it clear that the game, even on medium, is pushing a lot more stuff than the 360 version, which ran on three processor cores.

I'm sure those dedicated to being angry will just get more angry, but I thought it was a good interview.

Phyxion
12-06-08, 12:25 PM
I don't think they claimed there are none, they simply said they are exaggerated on the forums, which... honestly, isn't that obvious?

They're working on a patch, which should be good news for those with problems. Nvidia release special GTA4 drivers, which is nice. They make it clear that the game, even on medium, is pushing a lot more stuff than the 360 version, which ran on three processor cores.

I'm sure those dedicated to being angry will just get more angry, but I thought it was a good interview.
Maybe because they are? Honoustly, it's not that bad. In fact I haven't encountered a single bug at all?

mailman2
12-06-08, 12:59 PM
I dont have any problems. Once you realize you cannot max all the settings and sliders you find the happy medium and just enjoy the game. Unfortunately all the Crysis fans haver destroyed any joy folks get from games now.

Abraxus#
12-06-08, 01:01 PM
I don't think performance is that big of a deal, the excessive DRM and graphics option limitations are the issue.

They mention that the limitations are in there to 'protect us from ourselves'. Wow, thanks for that Rockstar, because i'm not capable of establishing that it's crashing because the settings are too high.

Obviously they don't mention the DRM. Probably because a sane person couldn't make any kind of positive statement about it.

nekrosoft13
12-06-08, 02:20 PM
i mostly agree with the interview, bring it to "fans" to make disaster of almost nothing.

Koko56
12-06-08, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=mailman2;1865726]I dont have any problems. Once you realize you cannot max all the settings and sliders you find the happy medium and just enjoy the game. Unfortunately all the Crysis fans haver destroyed any joy folks get from games now.[/QUOTE
Huh? What do you mean?

Needing to max everything before becoming satisfied? Well, that might not be that new...

Mike89
12-08-08, 08:39 PM
I've been playing this game for 3 days now and I can say I don't remember playing any game that was this unstable. And this is from someone who has a system with many games that hardly has any stability issues at all. Most of the times I play it, the session ends in a crash of some kind resulting in having to reboot. Most of the time I can tell before hand when the crash is coming. The game will start freezing for seconds with music still playing and then resuming. Then the textures will start messing up with triangles all over the place. Then comes the crash. I know this is a complex game but it is full of bugs. I don't think Windows Live and Social Club (both of which are totally worthless to me and I'm not happy at all being forced to install them and go through all the crap at each game start up) are helping matters any either. Whoever thought up this Windows Live crap needs to be shot in the ass.

I'm going to finish this game (the main quests anyway) and as it stands right now, I doubt I'll ever play it again (unless something fixes this game big time). I'm not particularly fond of putting my system through all these crashes to play a game. I'm so turned off by Windows Live that it's really going to deter me from getting another game that uses it like this game does. Fallout 3 uses it too but it's much less intrusive than this one. I just don't know what Rockstar was thinking coming up with this implementation.

JasonPC
12-08-08, 09:41 PM
That is pretty bizarre. Have you tried reinstalling video drivers?

Mike89
12-08-08, 09:46 PM
After reading the posts I have about stability issues with this game, it seems more paar for the course than bizarre. I've used both the 180.48 and 180.84 drivers. Seems the problems I've had were happening when into the game for a couple of hours (and no, I don't have heating issues, cpu cool, gpu cool and never even kicked up the fan speeds), especially when replaying missions that were failed. Maybe a memory leak of some kind.

JasonPC
12-08-08, 10:08 PM
Well it's bizarre meaning that graphical glitches like that sound to be more on par for ATI cards or geforce 7s (without driver update)

Mike89
12-08-08, 10:39 PM
Dunno, can't call it. All I know is my computer does not like this game. Just came out of a game (45 minutes or so, no crash this time) and my gpu temps were like 60c (280 fan stayed at stock low speed) and cpu was 85f. Course I'm in an office I built in my garage and it's cold as hell in here, heh heh. Temps are not my problem. Right now at idle, my gpu temp is 36c. Running an 'open' computer on a HSPC Top Deck Station. All my computer parts are hanging in the wind!

hirantha
12-08-08, 11:48 PM
its not only you Mike. i have the same issue. you can play for like 45 min straight without any problem but as the game tries to load maps then the lag start happening eventually that lag gets huge and the game crashes. then the only solution to that crash is a restart. what a bugger, hope they come up with a patch soon.

NarcissistZero
12-09-08, 04:42 AM
You guys' problem sounds like what R* said would happen if you push beyond their memory restriction... did you do that?

LordJuanlo
12-10-08, 12:38 PM
The only problem I have with GTA IV is that I can't enter the game. I get a crash to desktop just after the first Rockstar copyright screen. I have entered the game 3 or 4 times after trying, rebooting, entering rockstar social club, launching from steam, outside steam... it just looks random.

At the bugfixes list of the upcoming patch Rockstar say that this problem affects some german users and it's fixed in the patch, well my version is Spanish and suffers from the same issue, I hope to get the patch soon. However I have played a bit when I have managed to enter and the game has been rock solid.

BioHazZarD
12-10-08, 12:40 PM
I hate this windows live gaming and rockstar social club crap.. seriously i regret i bought this pos :thumbdwn:

breathemetal
12-10-08, 12:47 PM
I hate this windows live gaming and rockstar social club crap.. seriously i regret i bought this pos :thumbdwn:

the game is a great game. those are just minor setbacks. dont let those 2 things ruin the game for you.

nekrosoft13
12-10-08, 01:23 PM

and seriously how does that affect the gameplay, look at my sig i can't stand xbox live on PC, but this is really not a reason to put down a game.

nekrosoft13
12-10-08, 01:24 PM
The only problem I have with GTA IV is that I can't enter the game. I get a crash to desktop just after the first Rockstar copyright screen. I have entered the game 3 or 4 times after trying, rebooting, entering rockstar social club, launching from steam, outside steam... it just looks random.

At the bugfixes list of the upcoming patch Rockstar say that this problem affects some german users and it's fixed in the patch, well my version is Spanish and suffers from the same issue, I hope to get the patch soon. However I have played a bit when I have managed to enter and the game has been rock solid.

list of fixes? where?

LordJuanlo
12-10-08, 02:55 PM
Here (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43419/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-PC-Patch-Update)

We are working on making a patch available in the next few days. Since Grand Theft Auto IV is a Games For Windows – Live game the patch must be certified by Microsoft before release. The patch is already at Microsoft and we expect a speedy approval.

The patch contains a variety of fixes including:

A fix to the crash after legal screen that some German customers were reporting.
Numerous improvements to the video editor: Smarter naming of videos, improved rendering quality, better FX during replays
Fix to bowling while using certain sensitive mice
Fix for ATI 1900 shadows
Overall savings to memory
Graphic improvements to particle systems and mirrors
Multiplayer character settings are preserved
Support for DirectInput controllers. Note: The current hack way of supporting these controllers may not work with the improved functionality. So we recommend you remove the hack before upgrading to the patch.

Issues with power management software have also been fixed (slow speed, double speed issues). Even after the patch comes out setting power management software to maximum performance is recommended. We’ve seen cases where power management software does not detect the game is running and puts the CPU in green mode.

NarcissistZero
12-10-08, 03:02 PM
GFW-Live never really bothered me until now... certifying a patch for PC is freakin' ridiculous.

hirantha
12-10-08, 11:19 PM
My memory limit is about 614 and I use 694 I think...play for hours at a time with no breaks and not a single crash except for the first time I ran the game(Social Club crash).

My friend using a crack with the same settings has had a few sporadic crashes running a 99% identical machine but he has XP, I have Vista32.

You crashers: are you using a crack by chance?

who is this loser? talking about cracks here... we are all legit here, get lost.

Bearclaw
12-10-08, 11:27 PM
My memory limit is about 614 and I use 694 I think...play for hours at a time with no breaks and not a single crash except for the first time I ran the game(Social Club crash).

My friend using a crack with the same settings has had a few sporadic crashes running a 99% identical machine but he has XP, I have Vista32.

You crashers: are you using a crack by chance?

GTFO, stalker.