PDA

View Full Version : So what did you gain by jumping to Intel's Core i7

Digital_Trans
12-07-08, 12:10 AM
So what did you really have to gain by jumping to Intel's Core i7?

Muppet
12-07-08, 03:05 AM
For a start an easy 4.0Ghz +. On my QX9650 I had to use around 1.5 volts for 4.0. I didn't like putting that much voltage through it for 24/7 use.

But these new chips fly.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/CraigCooper/Untitled123.jpg

Digital_Trans
12-07-08, 03:25 AM
Nice, so the overclockers have something to gain other then average end-users whom won't put short give a rats ass or even know anything about v-core of multiplies in the system bios. But yes, that is impressive! I'm still happy with my Quad core and don't see any remote reason to go for an Intel Core i7 at this time. Maybe in a year or so when their already stock clocked at 5.2GHz or something crazy like that. I'm already using a fast setup none the less with my Intel QX9770 and Tri-SLI. I never researched DDR3 memory for the X58 based motherboards. Is it also DDR3-SDRAM? or something newer and better??? I've been seeing Tri-Memory kits talked about on this forum and was wanting to know what's to give?

Muppet
12-07-08, 03:31 AM
Very nice Muppet!

Can't say much about overlocking yet, still waiting on the TRUE Copper...

But X58 alone is worth the upgrade! SLI on a super stable platform is to :drooling: for!

I can't wait to see how you get on with the 965.

Once the bios matures a bit on these boards, higher clocks should be even more obtainable.

Nice, so the overclockers have something to gain other then average end-users whom won't put short give a rats ass or even know anything about v-core of multiplies in the system bios. But yes, that is impressive! I'm still happy with my Quad core and don't see any remote reason to go for an Intel Core i7 at this time. Maybe in a year or so when their already stock clocked at 5.2GHz or something crazy like that. I'm already using a fast setup none the less with my Intel QX9770 and Tri-SLI. I never researched DDR3 memory for the X58 based motherboards. Is it also DDR3-SDRAM? or something newer and better???

That is still a very impressive rig you have there. I can certainly understand you not needing or wanting to upgrade at this time.

Tri-Channel DDR3 is 3 sticks of Ram the same as Dual-Channel is 2 sticks. It's still the same DDR3 though.

Muppet
12-07-08, 03:51 AM
Well I'm not going to push it ;) 4GHz is my goal.
How are your temps at 4.2GHz and what cooling solution do you use?

4Ghz will be so easy for you it's not funny. You shouldn't need much more than 1.3- 1.36 volts on a 965.

My cooling is the Thermalright True Black 120. It's summer here around 30 degree Celcius and my idle temps for 4.0 are 39 to 44 in all 4 cores. That dropes to mid thirties when it cools off a little.

Temps don't go over 72 when running Prime95 small FFT's so i'm more than happy with that.

Muppet
12-07-08, 04:02 AM
Wow that's impressive! Man, the stock cooler sucks so bad, I have higher idle temps at 3.2GHz right now :p And the higher RPM setting sounds like rocket...

Well, if it's so easy to get 4GHz, I might try to get some more out of it. But I have to see how it goes. Thanks for the info. Waiting is now even harder ;)

Yeah, never really liked the look of the stock heatsink. I never even mounted it when I got this setup. Just went straight to the True120.

Honestly you won't believe how easy it is to obtain 4Ghz on one of these chips, let a lone a 965. You will be a very happy camper. :D

I can't wait to see the look on your face when you pick up the Copper 120. It will be priceless.

Muppet
12-07-08, 04:12 AM
Yeah and full of fear of breaking the socket aera :p

Should be fine as long as you don't swing your case around :)

mullet
12-07-08, 08:02 AM
Muppet, kickass dude, 4.2 wow.

Xion X2
12-07-08, 09:49 AM
Shouldn't be that surprising, really. My chip will do almost 4.0.

fasedww
12-07-08, 10:04 AM
Well I'm not going to push it ;) 4GHz is my goal.
How are your temps at 4.2GHz and what cooling solution do you use?

me too i got the new thermalright extreme 1366 heatsink and a 2000 rpm thermalright fan that pushes 83cfm, 4ghz should fly. Sure hope I can get it like 1.3, 1.36 volts though. :)

Muppet
12-08-08, 12:07 AM
Muppet, kickass dude, 4.2 wow.

Thanks man. :) These chips are something special when it comes to overclocks. Especially with very little voltage.