PDA

View Full Version : Mafia II Using The Illusion Engine

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
12-07-08, 09:39 AM
Mafia II, developed by the original creators Illusion Softworks, features a deep mobster-driven narrative packed with both behind-the-wheel and on-foot action. The Illusion engine was specifically written for Mafia II, and successor to IS' LS3D engine which was used in the original game. According to the few details out there the new engine will rival CryEngine 2 (Crysis Warhead) and support only DirectX 10.
http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=58081
Blasphemy!! no engine rivals CE2!!
and i call BS on the "DX10 only" since Mafia II is coming to the X360.

evox
12-07-08, 09:51 AM
Well, FC2 was also on X360 but had DirectX10 support. :)

Eliminator
12-07-08, 09:59 AM
Well, FC2 was also on X360 but had DirectX10 support. :)
but it says supports only DX10... also i doubt it will rival cryengine 2

sMull
12-07-08, 10:48 AM
Good to hear, the LS3D engine was superb, Mafia and Hidden & Dangerous looked amazing, large maps, indoor/outdoor seamless areas, vehciles, ragdolls etc.

ATOJAR
12-07-08, 11:20 AM
Man i cant wait for this game ... the first mafia is still one of my all time favorite games.

MaxFX
12-07-08, 11:29 AM
Finally some news about the game, have waited like forever and if this is true then great couldent be any happier :D

BioHazZarD
12-07-08, 11:47 AM
Wow rival the cryengine, i see it first to believe.

|MaguS|
12-07-08, 11:59 AM
Well considering the quality of the screenshots we have already seen I'm calling bs on rivaling cryengine 2.

NarcissistZero
12-07-08, 12:02 PM
Well considering the quality of the screenshots we have already seen I'm calling bs on rivaling cryengine 2.

The previous screens looked pretty amazing to me.

DX10 required sounds fishy though... even by holiday '09 most people are not going to have Vista.

MaxFX
12-07-08, 12:15 PM
Yepp I think that DX10 only is BS, some have read between the lines again I guess.

As its a multi game then it would be very strange if it not will support DX9, heck we have not any Pc exlusive game that is DX10 only i belive!

Toss3
12-07-08, 12:39 PM

We also need to remember that these are two different types of games - I mean mafia II has a lot of stuff going on and the world is probably going to be much much larger so the artists have less time and less resources to work with than what the developers had with crysis.

It's like comparing a character-model from a fighting game with one from an fps game. It just isn't fair.

I really doubt that it's going to rival cryengine 2 though. :)

bob saget
12-07-08, 02:23 PM
*hums main mafia theme*.......

nekrosoft13
12-07-08, 02:25 PM

DX10 required sounds fishy though... even by holiday '09 most people are not going to have Vista.

by that time most people will have vista or win7

NarcissistZero
12-07-08, 02:34 PM
by that time most people will have vista or win7

You think so? I thought many were still refusing to go to Vista... maybe I missed the point where everyone collectively realized Vista is a good OS.

And I don't think Windows 7 is coming out anywhere near that soon... at least I hope it isn't.

jolle
12-07-08, 02:46 PM
Might be Vista exclusive, but hardly DX10 only.
And if it is, it prolly isnt warranted.

On the flip side, maybe it will perform accordingly and use DX10 to a higher extent that any games have to this point.
there is no excuse to not go over the drawcalls and whatnot if you´re not going to keep the DX9 support anyway.

Noriega
12-07-08, 04:34 PM
So there is still hope that PC version will look better than console one?

sMull
12-07-08, 04:37 PM
Depends if they pull a Rockstar on it.

MaxFX
12-07-08, 05:56 PM
Depends if they pull a Rockstar on it.

Haha so true but then again ppl will bia.atch and cry like little babies all over.
Im definetly a Pc Gamer but it's sad to see how many pc gamers act these days, like real a.holes never satisfied whatever the devs do, all it is nag nag nag.

But heres hoping they really push the game and then better run for cover as the a.holes comes running in drows, fufrgkhgkd devs cant program I can do it aaaall better, or else the game looks like s.hite and then they gonna kill the devs for that. one word IDIOTS (nana2)

Lith1um
12-07-08, 06:30 PM
I just hope it allows AA, GTA4 seems like it's poking my eyes out sometimes.

Medion
12-07-08, 07:20 PM
http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=58081
Blasphemy!! no engine rivals CE2!!
and i call BS on the "DX10 only" since Mafia II is coming to the X360.

All it takes to be DX10 exclusive is for it to require the use of 1 feature that DX9 simply cannot run. Since the 360 is capable of some DX10 capabilities, as well as some features that go beyond DX10, it's possible that the 360 can pull off the effects needed to run this game*.

*at lower settings, lower resolution, and lower/no AA/AF. Just adding this in so the PC fanboys don't commit suicide.

You think so? I thought many were still refusing to go to Vista... maybe I missed the point where everyone collectively realized Vista is a good OS.

And I don't think Windows 7 is coming out anywhere near that soon... at least I hope it isn't.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114186

Not a huge sampling, but it shows that the gamer crowd that typically goes for higher end hardware has adopted Vista at a startling rate.

sl0ppy_sec0nds
12-07-08, 08:35 PM
All it takes to be DX10 exclusive is for it to require the use of 1 feature that DX9 simply cannot run. Since the 360 is capable of some DX10 capabilities, as well as some features that go beyond DX10, it's possible that the 360 can pull off the effects needed to run this game*.

The 360 has no other DX10 capabilities besides stream-out. It has some features that aren't in DX10, but that doesn't mean they are more efficient than the capabilities that are available for DX10.

SH64
12-07-08, 09:45 PM
The 360 has no other DX10 capabilities besides stream-out. It has some features that aren't in DX10, but that doesn't mean they are more efficient than the capabilities that are available for DX10.
Yeah i always thought the X360 GPU capabilities are in the range of "DX9.0+" , not DX10.

Wolken007
12-07-08, 09:57 PM

Windows 7 will be out by then. Beta 1 comes out in January 09, followed by a single RC. Paul over at Winsupersite is speculating that it could be RTM by April 09. Who knows how much truth their is behind his speculation, but it should certainly be final by Holiday 2009.

SH64
12-09-08, 03:25 PM
Yep as i expected :
Over the weekend we revealed details on The Illusion engine, claiming that Mafia II would only support DX10/Vista, which turned out to be incorrect. 2k Czech confirmed the game will be compatible with WinXP/DirectX 9.0c.

http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=58124

MaxFX
12-09-08, 04:42 PM
Yep as i expected :

http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=58124

Yepp as expected then :)

DX11 seems to be everything DX10 was supposed to be and so much more and thats what im exited about but thats another story :D

Glad to here that it will have DX10 support tho, better fx is to be expected can one hope!