PDA

View Full Version : Is the Q6600 still the best quad in its price range?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

XDanger
12-07-08, 10:38 AM
Or is there something else now?

Eliminator
12-07-08, 10:42 AM
the core i7 920 would be a better deal if youre willing to get a new mobo + ddr3 ram.... else the p5b deluxe does a fine job with the Q6600... im running mine at 3.6ghz 24/7

XDanger
12-07-08, 11:11 AM
My e6400 does me fine BUT if GTAIV likes quads then there'll be more like it in the next year, Otherwise I wouldnt bother.

I wont be getting a new mobo till about 2010 or when I break what I have.

i7/DDR3 will be sensible then.

Eliminator
12-07-08, 11:59 AM
then go for a q6600.... i recently upgraded from a e6400 @ 3.4 in august and it was definitely worth it... i paid around $200 after taxes for the new cpu and another $45 for the ocz vendetta 2 cooler.... great cooler but terrible clamping mechanism... took hours to install... just be sure to use the 1236 bios if you upgrade to a q6600... or 1237 beta bios (not sure where you can find it) if you buy a Q9xxx since apparently theres some memory bug with yorkdales on 1236

$n][pErMan
12-07-08, 12:03 PM
the core i7 920 would be a better deal if youre willing to get a new mobo + ddr3 ram.... else the p5b deluxe does a fine job with the Q6600... im running mine at 3.6ghz 24/7
Ya... this is by far the best motherboard I have ever bought! :D All this fancy stuff coming out and I STILL don't feel the need that I must upgrade :) If I really had to I could probably get a new video card and still run on this thing for at least another 6 months ~ a year.

Eliminator
12-08-08, 05:09 PM
[pErMan;1866593']Ya... this is by far the best motherboard I have ever bought! :D All this fancy stuff coming out and I STILL don't feel the need that I must upgrade :) If I really had to I could probably get a new video card and still run on this thing for at least another 6 months ~ a year.
yea definitely the best board ive ever owned... had some bugs at first but i managed to fix them all... i went from a 8800GTX to a GTX280 and the p5b deluxe works just fine with it :cool:... if the rumour is true about the 1.5gb GTX260 then that could be just the card for you

nekrosoft13
12-08-08, 05:43 PM
q6600 is excellent cpu, G0 overclocks great

john19055
12-10-08, 10:07 AM
The Q6600 is the best Quad out there for the price at $189 ,if you are not looking to upgrade everthing.Yes the i7 would be good but you have to buy a high dollar motherboard plus new memory if you only have DDR2.Nearly all of them will over clock to 3.2gigs and a lot will do 3.6gigs or more on water.Plus you can get a BFG GTX 280 OCE for $349.99 and $314.99 with a rebate and it comes with a free game of FarCry2 , 3DMark Advantage Advance edtion and a key chaing super bright flash lite,or a Sapphire 4850x2 for $374 and $354 with $20 rebate.

rage10
12-10-08, 08:22 PM
I'm at 3.5 ghz. I can loginn to windows at 3.6 but games crash within 5 seconds once I start playing and it randomly restarts after 20 - 25 minuites

$n][pErMan
12-10-08, 09:39 PM
yea definitely the best board ive ever owned... had some bugs at first but i managed to fix them all... i went from a 8800GTX to a GTX280 and the p5b deluxe works just fine with it :cool:... if the rumour is true about the 1.5gb GTX260 then that could be just the card for you
Yea... I am waiting too see what happens! :D I love this board too because it supports all the 45nm quads in the Core 2 line with a BIOS update! I might actually keep this board around for quite a bit more time! With RAM so cheap too I might get 2 4gb sticks a new 45nm quad and a 1.5GB GTX260 is everything pans out! That would be an awesome upgrade for the price... and would probably perform close to or even the same as an i7 build if OC'ed :) *Assuming a single GPU solution*

nrdstrm
12-11-08, 03:37 AM
P5B Deluxe Question for you guys. Out of no where, when I start up now I'm getting "CPU not recognized" or something to that effect. It still lets me boot, but I have to press F1 instead of it just cruising into Windows. I havn't updated the bios in a while, so do you think a bios update would fix it? (Note, this is an early engineering sample E6600, don't know if that would make a difference or not).

On the upgrade front, I was going to build a Core I7 system after Christmas, but then EVGA decided I shouldn't have my job anymore (layoff). So now I'm at a lower paying job, thus no big upgrades. I will probably get a Q6600 or similar. Then a new video card when the new architecture comes out (if ever)...

nekrosoft13
12-11-08, 06:24 AM
have you updated bios? maybe your current bios doesn't support Q6600 officially.

Tr1cK
12-11-08, 06:43 AM
My board limits my FSB to 420 and doesn't have enough voltage to push mine any further than 3.36ghz stable. It also gets pretty darn hot and would prob need watercooling.

XDanger
12-11-08, 05:33 PM
[pErMan;1871423']With RAM so cheap too I might get 4 2gb sticksfixe

are 2gb sticks more trouble on a p5b? I'm getting serious dejavoo from this question...:headexplode:

8gb pc6400 is Seriusly cheap now, I want more OCZ
Will putting in 2x1gb + 2x2gb give me hassles?

$n][pErMan
12-11-08, 06:46 PM
fixe

are 2gb sticks more trouble on a p5b? I'm getting serious dejavoo from this question...:headexplode:

I currently have all 4 slots filled with 1GB sticks... no real issues here. I think some will claim though it makes OC'ing harder with 4 slots filled instead of 2 because it puts more stress on the NB. Perhaps thats why I can't seem to OC past 3.2Ghz no matter where I add voltage. But my system is still screaming for me ATM so I am not complaining! To bad this mobo does not support 4GB sticks.... just noticed that it does not... lol. Have not needed to look at the spec for the chipset in some time :)

P5B Deluxe Question for you guys. Out of no where, when I start up now I'm getting "CPU not recognized" or something to that effect. It still lets me boot, but I have to press F1 instead of it just cruising into Windows. I havn't updated the bios in a while, so do you think a bios update would fix it? (Note, this is an early engineering sample E6600, don't know if that would make a difference or not).

On the upgrade front, I was going to build a Core I7 system after Christmas, but then EVGA decided I shouldn't have my job anymore (layoff). So now I'm at a lower paying job, thus no big upgrades. I will probably get a Q6600 or similar. Then a new video card when the new architecture comes out (if ever)...
Did the battery that holds your BIOS configuration info die? :p Not sure thats the error you would get as on other mobo's I would always have a full BIOS reset take place. But it can't hurt to check if nothing had changed in your system.

Eliminator
12-11-08, 08:11 PM
thats rather strange... first i would try resetting the bios to default.... then if that fails try the latest bios... i believe all bioses for the board support the E6600... a good bios i used to have is 0804 for my E6400

[pErMan;1871423']Yea... I am waiting too see what happens! :D I love this board too because it supports all the 45nm quads in the Core 2 line with a BIOS update! I might actually keep this board around for quite a bit more time! With RAM so cheap too I might get 2 4gb sticks a new 45nm quad and a 1.5GB GTX260 is everything pans out! That would be an awesome upgrade for the price... and would probably perform close to or even the same as an i7 build if OC'ed :) *Assuming a single GPU solution*
you should check to make sure if 4gb sticks are supported by the board and which ones are compatible... but yea 8gb ram + 45nm quad + 1.5gb gtx260 would be pretty sweet... im not sure the 45nm quads are worth the extra money though.... you would probably want a Q9550 or so but that costs twice as much as a q6600 and also you.... anything lower than a q9550 might have too low of a multiplier and youll have to make sure your board does at least 450-500fsb if you want a good overclock.... q6600 has a 9x multi... im running at 400x9 right now

I'm at 3.5 ghz. I can loginn to windows at 3.6 but games crash within 5 seconds once I start playing and it randomly restarts after 20 - 25 minuites
try giving it some more juice... is it a G0?... even if its a G0 the VID varies and the average is around 1.27... you can check yours in coretemp... mine is a 1.3125V which is the 2nd worst so it needs 1.5V to keep it stable at 3.6ghz... my friend has a 1.325V G0 which is the worst and hes struggling to run at 3.2ghz on water

fixe

wont dual channel get screwd up then and only work for 4 out of 6gb?.... also i would avoid ocz... although many have had good experiences recently.... that wasnt the case 1-2 years ago.... recently my friend gave me 4x1GB ocz platinum PC8000 (1000mhz) 5-5-5-15 sticks.... they wouldnt work properly with his DFI mobo on any settings... i managed to get them to work on my p5b at 800mhz and timings set to SPD (5-4-4-10) and i think 2.3V... lower than 2.3V or more than 800mhz and the system is unstable... not using timings on SPD will result in my pc not being able to boot

[pErMan;1872423']I currently have all 4 slots filled with 1GB sticks... no real issues here. I think some will claim though it makes OC'ing harder with 4 slots filled instead of 2 because it puts more stress on the NB. Perhaps thats why I can;t seem to OC past 3.2Ghz no matter where I add voltage. But my system is still screaming for me ATM so I am not complaining!

Oh ya... BTW.... 2x4GB ... :p http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220356
i havent noticed any difference going from 2 sticks to 4... im using the ocz ram i mentioned before and increasing cpu voltage did not help me get more stable... clearly the ram sucks but it works fine at 800 and considering its a freebie im actually quite happy with it

$n][pErMan
12-11-08, 08:20 PM
thats rather strange... first i would try resetting the bios to default.... then if that fails try the latest bios... i believe all bioses for the board support the E6600... a good bios i used to have is 0804 for my E6400

you should check to make sure if 4gb sticks are supported by the board and which ones are compatible... but yea 8gb ram + 45nm quad + 1.5gb gtx260 would be pretty sweet... im not sure the 45nm quads are worth the extra money though.... you would probably want a Q9550 or so but that costs twice as much as a q6600 and also you.... anything lower than a q9550 might have too low of a multiplier and youll have to make sure your board does at least 450-500fsb if you want a good overclock.... q6600 has a 9x multi... im running at 400x9 right now

try giving it some more juice... is it a G0?... even if its a G0 the VID varies and the average is around 1.27... you can check yours in coretemp... mine is a 1.3125V which is the 2nd worst so it needs 1.5V to keep it stable at 3.6ghz... my friend has a 1.325V G0 which is the worst and hes struggling to run at 3.2ghz on water

wont dual channel get screwd up then and only work for 4 out of 6gb?.... also i would avoid ocz... although many have had good experiences recently.... that wasnt the case 1-2 years ago.... recently my friend gave me 4x1GB ocz platinum PC8000 (1000mhz) 5-5-5-15 sticks.... they wouldnt work properly with his DFI mobo on any settings... i managed to get them to work on my p5b at 800mhz and timings set to SPD (5-4-4-10) and i think 2.3V... lower than 2.3V or more than 800mhz and the system is unstable... not using timings on SPD will result in my pc not being able to boot

i havent noticed any difference going from 2 sticks to 4... im using the ocz ram i mentioned before and increasing cpu voltage did not help me get more stable... clearly the ram sucks but it works fine at 800 and considering its a freebie im actually quite happy with it
Ya... I just made a correction to my other post... 4GB sticks are NOT supported :( Still... I can hit 8GB with 4 x 2GB so with prices so low I might just go for it :) To be honest after reading your post I wonder if I have a ton of untapped power in my Q6600 and just need better ram to OC more. My VID on my G0 Q6600 is 1.2500V :D I am only running it at 3.15Ghz (1.315V in BIOS to account for Vdroop). You got me thinking about what might be my limitation and I can;t help but think that perhaps my ram is holding me back. Although... it is running well below spec. I have it at a 1:1 ratio with my FSB so I have tighter timings and I have always had slightly better results with 1:1 ratios. Hmmmm.... wonder what I need to do to get more speed out of the CPU if my VID is so low. I rememebr trying awhile back to go past 3.2Ghz but no matter where I added voltage I had issues :(

Eliminator
12-11-08, 08:38 PM
[pErMan;1872518']Ya... I just made a correction to my other post... 4GB sticks are NOT supported :( Still... I can hit 8GB with 4 x 2GB so with prices so low I might just go for it :) To be honest after reading your post I wonder if I have a ton of untapped power in my Q6600 and just need better ram to OC more. My VID on my G0 Q6600 is 1.2500V :D I am only running it at 3.15Ghz (1.315V in BIOS to account for Vdroop). You got me thinking about what might be my limitation and I can;t help but think that perhaps my ram is holding me back. Although... it is running well below spec. I have it at a 1:1 ratio with my FSB so I have tighter timings and I have always had slightly better results with 1:1 ratios. Hmmmm.... wonder what I need to do to get more speed out of the CPU if my VID is so low. I rememebr trying awhile back to go past 3.2Ghz but no matter where I added voltage I had issues :(
yea ram at 1:1 is the way to go in terms of stability... how much voltage are you giving it... what kind of cooling do you have?.... also theres a FSB hole between 350-400 where any value wont work... im actually running at 401 to avoid that hole... also theres a pcie x1 bug that occurs at such high fsb... you can fix it by setting pci rate at 110mhz... keeping those in mind try some more voltage... watch the temps... i would avoid anything over 70*C... mine gets to around 71-72*C after 1 hour of prime... im using a ocz vendetta 2 cooler

XDanger
12-12-08, 04:13 PM
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1354891
8gb doesnt look good for OCing the CPU with a p5b :(

What can I expect with a q6600 (with my stuff) when I can oc my e6400 to 3.7 and its limit is when the cpu gets too damn hot, No fault of the p5B or my 800mhz ram?

Will I need higher rated ram because of the higher multiplier of the Q6600?

What fsb would I need to get a decent OC from a q6600 with x8, Same as e6400?

2.4(Q66) / 9 x8=2.13(E64)
Same then?

$n][pErMan
12-12-08, 05:17 PM
yea ram at 1:1 is the way to go in terms of stability... how much voltage are you giving it... what kind of cooling do you have?.... also theres a FSB hole between 350-400 where any value wont work... im actually running at 401 to avoid that hole... also theres a pcie x1 bug that occurs at such high fsb... you can fix it by setting pci rate at 110mhz... keeping those in mind try some more voltage... watch the temps... i would avoid anything over 70*C... mine gets to around 71-72*C after 1 hour of prime... im using a ocz vendetta 2 cooler
I might give it another go..... I have the current settings posted in the picture below. Any advice on what I should change them too? My CPU cooler is listed in my sig... its pretty nice. I never get above 50C under full 4 core load and it idles at about 29C this time of the year. Note I have my memory running at the 667 zone to get the 1:1 ratio. Also, my CPU voltage is set now at 1.315 Vcore (this is a slightly older picture).

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=34410&d=1229123763

XDanger
12-12-08, 06:10 PM
I know you're not asking me but...
AUTO?

What kind of memory needs 2.15 @690mhz ,That would be 1.8 if anything no?
ok,I see it's tight so maybe , I'd loosen it up for the purpose of raising the fsb for now, Unless theres something I missed .
Set it to 5.5.5.12 untill youve clocked the cpu up

"my CPU voltage is set now at 3.15 Vcore" **** that!!!:D

SS disabled
PCI-110
33.33?
Vcore 1.475 ,Termination, NB Voltages 1.45v .
(Does FSB Termination Voltage set a ceiling on vcore but doesnt need to be adjusted for vdroop? so 1.45v FSBTV means 1.45v, Thats the way I've understood it anyway)
Leave the bottom 2 auto.

Would be my guess for 3.5 to 3.6 OC

What does Eliminator use? 400x9 for 3.6 but what about voltages. (400 is in the hole though)

john19055
12-12-08, 09:11 PM
Surely that was a typo with the cpu voltage at 3.15v,that would be very bad.I agree too your memory should'nt have to run that high at just 690mhz.On my Q6600 I had trouble getting it to run at 3.5g at 9 x 1556 at 1.45v ,but when I lowered the multipler to 8x and set the FSB to 1750 and it ran at 3.5 just fine .sometime you have holes where it just want run stable at,you have to play around with it and find the right combination.

Eliminator
12-13-08, 10:09 AM
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1354891
8gb doesnt look good for OCing the CPU with a p5b :(

What can I expect with a q6600 (with my stuff) when I can oc my e6400 to 3.7 and its limit is when the cpu gets too damn hot, No fault of the p5B or my 800mhz ram?

Will I need higher rated ram because of the higher multiplier of the Q6600?

What fsb would I need to get a decent OC from a q6600 with x8, Same as e6400?

2.4(Q66) / 9 x8=2.13(E64)
Same then?
higher multi means lower fsb and lower ram... q6600 has a 9x multi.... so with 800mhz ram a good setting would be 400x9 which would give you 3.6ghz and allow the ram to run at 1:1 at full speed... not all will do 3.6ghz and you will need a good cooler if anything... i think they only make g0's now but before you buy it make sure it says SLACR on the box... that's how you can tell if its g0

[pErMan;1873557']I might give it another go..... I have the current settings posted in the picture below. Any advice on what I should change them too? My CPU cooler is listed in my sig... its pretty nice. I never get above 50C under full 4 core load and it idles at about 29C this time of the year. Note I have my memory running at the 667 zone to get the 1:1 ratio. Also, my CPU voltage is set now at 1.315 Vcore (this is a slightly older picture).
well first make sure you have the latest bios 1236.... here are my settings:
FSB: 401
RAM: DDR2-802 MHZ
PCI express freq: 110 MHZ
PCI synch mode: 33.33 MHZ
spread spectrum: disabled
RAM voltage: 2.35V
CPU voltage: 1.55V (gives 1.50V in windows)
FSB termination: auto
NB vcore: 1.45V
SB vcore: auto
ICH chipset: auto

also under cpu configuration you should disable everything except modify ratio support so you can manually set the multi...

also under NB chipset config:
memory remap feature: enabled (enable for 4GB RAM or more)
configure DRAM by SPD: enabled (i have to since this OCZ RAM i have now only works this way.... otherwise you should set it to manual and set all the timings manually to whatever their defaults are for your RAM... some may not like higher/lower timings than default)
static read control: disabled
peg force x1: disabled
peg link mode: normal
asus cgi: disabled

i also have USB legacy support disabled in one of the menus... that solved my cold boot problems... anyway i hope this helps... good luck

XDanger
12-13-08, 11:36 AM
before you buy it make sure it says SLACR on the box... that's how you can tell if its g0

Energy Efficient 95W?

Eliminator
12-13-08, 11:47 AM
Energy Efficient 95W?
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3066