PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Or Distiled Water

Mr Bigman
12-08-08, 01:43 AM
I been using blue coolant for awhile now in my watercooling rigs but the at 3DGAMEMAN says that distiled water is a bit better and doesn't leave a residue on the parts so whats the vertict around here?

Darth have you used destiled water before or do you stick with coolant?

Its a tossup cuz i can get a gallon of the stuff at Jewel for a few bucks instead of making the trip to microcenter and paying 25 bucks for coolant.

einstein_314
12-08-08, 01:58 AM
I just use distilled water with additives. I don't think running just distilled water is recommended.

-Pentosin Coolant Additive - http://www.petrastechshop.com/peg11coadb4o.html
-Biocide - http://www.petrastechshop.com/pepcobi1.html

Takes about 850mL distilled water, a bottle of pentosin and 2-3 drops of biocide each time I flush my loop.

ViN86
12-08-08, 10:08 AM
do the additives make electrolytes when added to the water?

hirantha
12-08-08, 12:59 PM
You weren't supposed to use coolant when the water cooling first came out. but now they say for better performance use coolant. check with the water cooling product manufacture. if the radiator metal can supports coolant then why not get it?

einstein_314
12-08-08, 02:34 PM
Well one of the main reasons to use an additive is because of their anti-corrosion inhibitors. Which are critical especially if you have 2 different types of metal in your loop. I don't think I would ever use just straight coolant. I don't think it makes that much of a difference really regarding heat transfer. Sure it might be a bit better...but is it really worth it?

breathemetal
12-08-08, 03:33 PM
I cant beleive im helping the bigdouche but distilled + ptnuke or silver coil is the best way. no arguements about it. that dyed coolant crap is nothing but...well...crap.

Mr Bigman
12-08-08, 03:38 PM
Its Bigman thankyou.

I appreciate the addvice on the coolant vs water.

I still have half a bottle of coolant from the last build which is about half of 32oz so i could just add distilled water to it half and half to see how that does.

breathemetal
12-08-08, 03:44 PM
That's just stupid. Either use the ****ty coolant or do it the right way.

breathemetal
12-08-08, 04:42 PM
i did not know that. oh btw darth, any updates for me? shoot me a pm if so

Mr Bigman
12-08-08, 05:47 PM
I just went with the stuff at dangerden for 20 bucks with shipping.

Thanks Darth your always a good help as usual.

Im going to play with my crayons.

bob saget
12-08-08, 08:19 PM
I just went with the stuff at dangerden for 20 bucks with shipping.

Thanks Darth your always a good help as usual.

Im going to play with my crayons.

nice.