PDA

View Full Version : Who's the idiot? FM2009...

Lfctony
12-08-08, 11:57 AM
Football Manager 2009 :

IGN US : 2.0
http://pc.ign.com/articles/936/936295p1.html

IGN UK : 9.1
http://pc.ign.com/articles/930/930213p1.html

Discuss...

nekrosoft13
12-08-08, 12:00 PM
won't get into much details, but i agree with UK review more.

ViN86
12-08-08, 12:57 PM
the real question, is do NFL/MLB baseball games get good reviews in UK?

|MaguS|
12-08-08, 01:37 PM
the real question, is do NFL/MLB baseball games get good reviews in UK?

Or Would Hentai games get a good review in any other country then Japan?

XDanger
12-08-08, 02:09 PM
If you read the english review it explains the viewpoint of the american one.

The american reviewer is the idiot for not accepting its a niche game and therefore not to his taste.

|MaguS|
12-08-08, 02:41 PM
If you read the english review it explains the viewpoint of the american one.

The american reviewer is the idiot for not accepting its a niche game and therefore not to his taste.

A review is based off the opinion of a single person on a game... how is he an idiot if he dislikes the game? It's really IGNs fault for making someone who has no interest in the game review it.

Noriega
12-08-08, 02:55 PM
A review is based off the opinion of a single person on a game... how is he an idiot if he dislikes the game? It's really IGNs fault for making someone who has no interest in the game review it.

IGN fail I belive there are some football fans in USA.

NaitoSan
12-08-08, 03:06 PM
IGN has gone downhill since last few years. I miss old good reviewers who actually represents most gamers, not just themselves.

XDanger
12-08-08, 03:12 PM

Absolutley agree, As long as he's getting paid what does he care.

I'd gladly write an MMORPG/Football Management/The Sims review even though I dislike the genre if there was money in it.

And the reviewer says "why would anyone play this over FIFA or PES" so we know its not his bag (man)

Still a stupid review.

sMull
12-08-08, 03:21 PM

There is a difference however for disliking a genre but still being able to determine if a game is quality, and disliking the genre and giving low score, period. So, if the game is actually great and fans of the genre like it, then the game does not deserve a 2/10 score. They should have picked a different reviewer with a more open mind.

|MaguS|
12-08-08, 04:23 PM
There is a difference however for disliking a genre but still being able to determine if a game is quality, and disliking the genre and giving low score, period. So, if the game is actually great and fans of the genre like it, then the game does not deserve a 2/10 score. They should have picked a different reviewer with a more open mind.

How would you know if its quality when you know nothing about the sport? Honestly, I would not be able to review a nascar game at all. They could add fake teams and drivers and I would never know. The AI could drive aggressive and ram everyone and I would think thats normal...

When it comes to sports the person who reviews the game needs to know about the game and its rules.

ralinn
12-08-08, 04:30 PM

Yeah, the score is IMO. The whole point of a review is to tell the public what the game is and what to expect; not to express taste or preference. I really don't agree with scores.

I must say, this is a rather silly comment:

"Gameplay
Yes, the depth of management in this game is impressive. But, it’s not impressive enough to make up for the fact that you aren’t actually playing soccer." 4.0

Not quite sure why I'm sticking up for a football management game. I bloody hate football.

crainger
12-08-08, 04:43 PM

IGN US have been reckless in letting him review the game. They should have outsourced to someone familiar with the style of game like every other games magazine. In fact they should have just used the UK one.

This is one case where the devs could and probably will sue and win.

|MaguS|
12-08-08, 04:46 PM
IGN US have been reckless in letting him review the game. They should have outsourced to someone familiar with the style of game like every other games magazine. In fact they should have just used the UK one.

This is one case where the devs could and probably will sue and win.

Dev's can sue for an opinion... especially in America. :p

But I do agree that IGN was in error by allowing him to review the game.

Monolyth
12-08-08, 05:46 PM
Dev's can sue for an opinion... especially in America. :p

Lawlz, Dev Studio sues for "Pain and Suffering" from bad review of their crappy game. Hehe.

Now of course if the reviewer wrote something untruthful or wrong about say the Lead Developer he could be sued for libel.

sMull
12-08-08, 05:56 PM
How would you know if its quality when you know nothing about the sport? Honestly, I would not be able to review a nascar game at all. They could add fake teams and drivers and I would never know. The AI could drive aggressive and ram everyone and I would think thats normal...

When it comes to sports the person who reviews the game needs to know about the game and its rules.

You have a point. They should have just let someone else review the game.

Lfctony
12-08-08, 11:27 PM
Well, my biggest complain is the discrepancy between the two scores. It's one of the biggest problems these days, reviews are all over the place for most games. Other than that, it seems very inappropriate to rate a management game low because you don't get to play football on it. It's a management game... It's in the title... This is similar to rating Civilisation games low because they're not RTS... You have to evaluate the game for what it is, not what you like. And you have people relevant to genre review the games... You can't have a reviewer that doesn't like flight sims evaluate games like Falcon 4.0 or a person that hates FPSs evaluate Crysis and so on... Very bad choice of the US IGN for the specific reviewer and the given game... Simply inexcusable.

Just for the record, I no longer enjoy football management games... Too much time required... :) So I'm not in any way biased towards a game I bought or liked...

Lfctony
12-09-08, 10:41 AM
US Review has been pulled...

December 5, 2008 - We missed the mark -- that's the only way to explain why we've pulled the U.S. review of Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 off our site.

After seeing the community feedback and having more editors look at the title, we agree with the readers that our original review didn't give Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 a fair shake. Unfortunately, our critical analysis of WWSM '09 focused more on what the author wanted it to be rather than what the product actually was. We review games at IGN based on their own merits, and agree that it was unreasonable to compare WWSM '09 with action-oriented sports titles like FIFA or Pro Evolution Soccer. Because of the unfair comparison, we have deemed the review unacceptable and have removed it from the site.

We extend our sincerest apologies to both SEGA and our readers for the mistake and confusion. Look for an updated and more accurate relation of IGN's view of WWSM '09 sometime in the near future.

Jeremy Dunham
Games Editorial Manager, IGN.com

stefan9
12-09-08, 11:42 AM
FM 2009 is brilliant. Guy obviously has no clue about football management games or the cm/fm series which has been going a lot longer than probably any other gaming series left out there.

sMull
12-09-08, 01:05 PM
US Review has been pulled...

Good move. And yes the guy is an idiot for comparing a management sim to FIFA.

NarcissistZero
12-09-08, 03:29 PM
People, this is why you ignore the pointless number and read the reviews. I can't tell you how many times a reviewer has docked the score of a game for something I wouldn't mind or might even enjoy.

I remember some review knocking Just Cause for having "unrealistic stunts"... I was like WTF? That's half the fun of it... an over-the-top crazy action game.

Opinions are like... well, you know... so read the review, compare the reviewers opinions, likes and dislikes to your own, feel out how you would like what he describes, then make your decision. Both those reviews are equally correct as written and offer information to help you decide whether or not to get the game, as long as you ignore the scores.

crainger
12-09-08, 03:38 PM
ffs let people have their own opinions NarcissistZero. ::p:

XDanger
12-10-08, 03:29 PM
the cm/fm series which has been going a lot longer than probably any other gaming series left out there.

Yeah ,I think I played it on my 48k Spectrum in 1982, Little stick figures running around and you couldnt play the football ,I didnt like it.