PDA

View Full Version : no motion blur for Tomb Raider Underworld?

FearMeAll
12-08-08, 01:17 PM
Is there any way to enable motion blur in Tomb Raider Underworld PC Version? It is a nice effect on the xbox360 but why is it removed on pc? seems very dumb to do.

MaxFX
12-08-08, 02:10 PM
If you stand up and spin around for a while then play problem fixed, motion blur for free that you cant beat :D

Onestly dont know why they didn't implement it, have not played the game myself but will, heard it's a very good game!

Nitz Walsh
12-08-08, 02:39 PM
At Beyond3D one of the developers on the project stated it was an instruction count limit in DX9 - the way the shaders were written is that they would have to make a DX10 path to allow it or change the engine significantly.

Kind of sucks as I think it looks good on the 360 version as well, but I think I'll take high-res 60fps over 1024x576 30fps with motion blurring, thanks all the same. :)

FearMeAll
12-08-08, 05:14 PM
At Beyond3D one of the developers on the project stated it was an instruction count limit in DX9 - the way the shaders were written is that they would have to make a DX10 path to allow it or change the engine significantly.

Kind of sucks as I think it looks good on the 360 version as well, but I think I'll take high-res 60fps over 1024x576 30fps with motion blurring, thanks all the same. :)

hmm...I just rented the game on gamefly cuz I like the way it looked. I play on a projector at a measly 1280x720 rez so the pc version doesn't really give me much benefit besides being locked 60fps.
I like messy blur. Not for everyone though.

MaxFX
12-08-08, 06:48 PM

Okey very intresting about the DX9 vs DX10 stuff, kinda cool the 360 could pull it off but not in DX9 Pc. as they say the 360 have some DX10 stuff it can handle but I agree I totaly take 60fps in high res then some blurry lowres mess with 30fps annyday :D

Nitz Walsh
12-09-08, 10:26 AM
Okey very intresting about the DX9 vs DX10 stuff, kinda cool the 360 could pull it off but not in DX9 Pc. as they say the 360 have some DX10 stuff it can handle but I agree I totaly take 60fps in high res then some blurry lowres mess with 30fps annyday :D
It's not that the 360 has "some DX10 stuff", it's that it doesn't have to go through an API. Developers can bypass it and code more "to the metal" if they want to get around the limitations. If they stuck to the DX9 API on the 360 they would have the same problem.

MaxFX
12-09-08, 11:01 AM
It's not that the 360 has "some DX10 stuff", it's that it doesn't have to go through an API. Developers can bypass it and code more "to the metal" if they want to get around the limitations. If they stuck to the DX9 API on the 360 they would have the same problem.

Yeah I should I have put it that way :)
I remember reading on several locations that the 360 actually do or can do some DX10 instructions, it has been talked about here on nvnews once and again, ahh you probably seen/read it to and know what I mean and thats surely why they can do it as they dont have to go through an API as you say!

walterman
12-09-08, 02:53 PM
At Beyond3D one of the developers on the project stated it was an instruction count limit in DX9 ...

Did they write shader programs with more than 65535 instructions ? :confused:

Mike89
12-11-08, 08:56 PM
You guys can have your motion blur, I can do without just fine (same thing with depth of field. I want to see everything on the screen as clear as I can, my old eyes don't need no blurring or fade out in the distance). About the only time I thought it looked kind of cool was in that Bioshock cutscene where there a bit of blur in and out of the characters after falling off the banister at the beginning. As far as in the game itself, I'll always turn it off if I can. Some like a blur and some don't. Used to be, blurring was from a low end system where a vid card and/or cpu couldn't render the scene fast enough (now high end systems use raw horsepower to do the same thing, go figure). Now it's the in thing for some. Seems going backwards, but that's just me. Times change, heh heh.