PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Asus Rampage II Extreme X58

Pages : [1] 2 3

Heinz68
12-08-08, 02:45 PM
Finally I had time to go ahead with the installation this weekend.
Big problem the system will not even post. Here is what I did.

With the beep when shutting down. I did guess it might be the graphic card so I tried 4 of them and still no post.

Without graphic card and ONLY when using 1 or 2 memory sticks it starts to post on the small LED screen included with the motherboard and also finally the 6 on board LED voltage indicator lights goes on.

The posting stops with CMOS error. I did try to clear the CMOS numerous times, both with the button or battery removal and the problem is still the same.

I used the Corsair Dominator DDR3 3x2GB 1600 CL8 Triple Channel kits. I tried to interchange the sticks just to make sure there is no problem with any. They all work but only when 1 or 2 sticks are used.

After searching the internet I did find couple similar problems and the replacement board fixed it fast.

So today I requested the RMA from Direct Canada where I bought it from. I got the immediate standard computer generated response with "Please allow 1-2 business days for a response."
Did try few times contact them by phone but after being on hold and listening to music I get cut of every time after about 10 minutes.

I did buy from them since the price was good and I also saved 8% sales tax. This is all great when there is no problem but in case like this if the parts were bought locally the problem would have been solved immediately.

PS
Warning: The Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 is not standard "ATX Form Factor" as being sold everywhere including on newegg, it is 1 inch wider. Sometime referred to as Extended ATX Form Factor. I didn't even know such thing exist and there is no warning about it, not even by ASUS.

It wont fit in every case. On my "Antec P160W Case" it wont fit on the removable motherboard tray so I had to do some adjustments but the case size is OK and the screw locations are the same. I probably will buy a new case anyway for better air flow even though I like my case a lot.

fasedww
12-08-08, 02:53 PM
Finally I had time to go ahead with the installation this weekend.
Big problem the system will not even post. Here is what I did.

With the beep when shutting down. I did guess it might be the graphic card so I tried 4 of them and still no post.

Without graphic card and ONLY when using 1 or 2 memory sticks it starts to post on the small LED screen included with the motherboard and also finally the 6 on board LED voltage indicator lights goes on.

The posting stops with CMOS error. I did try to clear the CMOS numerous times, both with the button or battery removal and the problem is still the same.

I used the Corsair Dominator DDR3 3x2GB 1600 CL8 Triple Channel kits. I tried to interchange the sticks just to make sure there is no problem with any. They all work but only when 1 or 2 sticks are used.

After searching the internet I did find couple similar problems and the replacement board fixed it fast.

So today I requested the RMA from Direct Canada where I bought it from. I got the immediate standard computer generated response with
"Please allow 1-2 business days for a response."

I did buy from them since the price was good and I also saved 8% sales tax. This is all great when there is no problem but in case like this if the parts were bought locally the problem would have been solved immediately.

PS
Warning: The Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 is not standard "ATX Form Factor" as being sold everywhere including on newegg, it is 1 inch wider. Sometime referred to as Extended ATX Form Factor. I didn't even know such thing exist and there is no warning about it, not even by ASUS.

It wont fit in every case. On my "Antec P160W Case" it wont fit on the removable motherboard tray so I had to do some adjustments but the case size is OK and the screw locations are the same. I probably will buy a new case anyway for better air flow even though I like my case a lot.
make sure memory is in white dimn slots:)

Heinz68
12-08-08, 03:05 PM
make sure memory is in white dimn slots:)

That is not what the manual say. It clearly shows even by picture to use only the second set of the slots with the first 3 sticks and the color of the slots are blue.

Thanks anyway.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5672/asusrampageiiextremex58ff2.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=asusrampageiiextremex58ff2.jpg)

fasedww
12-08-08, 03:54 PM
That is not what the manual say. It clearly shows even by picture to use only the second set of the slots with the first 3 sticks and the color of the slots are blue.

Thanks anyway.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5672/asusrampageiiextremex58ff2.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=asusrampageiiextremex58ff2.jpg)
ask someone here what slots to use for those 3x2gig corsair domintor 1600mhz, I would like to know before I get my stuff. Anybody know?:)

Heinz68
12-08-08, 11:14 PM
ask someone here what slots to use for those 3x2gig corsair domintor 1600mhz, I would like to know before I get my stuff. Anybody know?:)
There is no need to ask anybody. I guess you don't trust me so here is the scan page from the manual.

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/9606/ramsetupud4.th.jpg (http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ramsetupud4.jpg)

Also even before I bought the board I did read few reviews and from that I did remember the memory slots further away from the CPU have to be used first.

Read here (http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=637&type=expert) at the bottom of the page.
Also, keep in mind if you are installing on this board that the BLUE slots are the primary slots for each channel - fill them first. Otherwise you will be left smacking your forehead when your system won't post!

walterman
12-09-08, 06:05 AM
S**t happens all the time :(

I just hope that the replacement mobo fixes all yours problems.

Still the Rampage II is my fav core i7 mobo, but, never marry with any brand.

fasedww
12-09-08, 09:58 AM
There is no need to ask anybody. I guess you don't trust me so here is the scan page from the manual.

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/9606/ramsetupud4.th.jpg (http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ramsetupud4.jpg)

Also even before I bought the board I did read few reviews and from that I did remember the memory slots further away from the CPU have to be used first.

Read here (http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=637&type=expert) at the bottom of the page.

you the man, thanks for the good info, really helped.:D

DaveChambers
12-09-08, 11:39 AM
Keep us updated! Mike and I were talking last night about which X58 motherboard would be the best to go with and we were looking at this very Asus model. Its one of the more expensive models but we've always liked Asus motherboards. Your issues are making me think again, let us know how it turns out!

saturnotaku
12-09-08, 01:35 PM
Keep us updated! Mike and I were talking last night about which X58 motherboard would be the best to go with and we were looking at this very Asus model. Its one of the more expensive models but we've always liked Asus motherboards. Your issues are making me think again, let us know how it turns out!

After my P5K-E died, I was also thinking twice about Asus. That's why I went with the eVGA board instead. I liked its layout, plus their warranty and customer service are outstanding.

DaveChambers
12-09-08, 03:28 PM
After my P5K-E died, I was also thinking twice about Asus. That's why I went with the eVGA board instead. I liked its layout, plus their warranty and customer service are outstanding.

Cant deny you there, evga is a great company. Just read your thread below this one, keep us posted on how it goes and how the evga board lives up to your expectations :)

saturnotaku
12-09-08, 04:09 PM
Will do. I'm not going to be able to overclock much, as I'll just be using stock cooling. I have a mid-tower case, so those huge LGA1366 heatsinks aren't going to fit. If I can get 3.3 GHz out of the stock HSF with minimal, if any, voltage increase, I'll be happy.

Heinz68
12-11-08, 09:38 AM
Got second Rampage II Extreme and have the same problem. With the video card in it wont even start to post. I know it's not the video card problem since I tried 4 of them and they all work on the old setup..

After power off I get 2 beeps, just to make sure there is not some kind off electrical short I tried the minimal setup outside the case on a cardboard. It didn't help.

Without the video card in the LCD Poster shows "DET DRAM". On power off i get one beep which I believe is for the no video card detected.

It's very unlikely I got 2 bad Rampage boards with the same problem, so I will try another ram set lower than the 1600MHz Dominator.

After many years without any hardware problem this is getting frustrating, specially after spending so much money on supposedly best parts.

walterman
12-11-08, 09:54 AM
Ohh, i'm sorry to hear that man :(

I know how frustrating is buying expensive new hw that does not work :(

Just some basic things that i would check:

Did you try with another PSU ?

Is it possible to test the mobo with another CPU ? (perhaps damaged memory controller)

Does the mobo work when you insert 2 modules in the same channel ?

Have you something like a cheap PCIe gfx card to try ?

You also can try to boot the mobo with 1 module only, then, go to the bios, and raise the voltage of the memory. Power off, install the rest of modules, power on, and check if it works. I remember this problem in the ASUS Comando with some OCZ high speed modules.

Good luck & do not give up yet !

Heinz68
12-11-08, 12:06 PM
Thanks walterman.
I doubt it's the video card since I did try 4 cards.
Ati 1900, NV 8800 GTX, HD 4870 and HD 4870 x2. The cards show red LED light when used so maybe the problem is the PSU.

I did find this post at ASUS Rampage II Extreme Forum (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20081126141238187&board_id=1&model=Rampage%20II%20Extreme&page=2&count=20) where the guy reported problem with the Enermax Model Galaxy DXX 1000 (second post on the page). For a moment I thought that's it but I have the newer (EGX1000EWL) model he used as replacement to solve the problem.

I did try all the 1, 2 and 3 ram sticks combination, sometime after hard CMOS reset and using only 2 sticks I get the LCD poster going past the "DET DRAM" all the way to "BIOS EROR". Not much helpful since it only work that way without the video card so I can't get in the bios.

Anyway the LCD poster is good help at least showing what is going on.

I also did find this post at ASUS Rampage II Extreme Forum (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081205135018406&board_id=1&model=Rampage+II+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us) where "SeaJeff" reported just about the same "DET DRAM" problem. He did try just about everything and on the end the problem was the CPU.

Thanks slaWter, I did try the CMOS reset so many times both with the button or hard with the battery out and it doesn't work. My problem is, with the video card in the post doesn't start at all. Since the video cards show red LED light maybe I should try another PSU.

I'm going to Log Out now but I will let you guys know later on when problem solved.

saturnotaku
12-11-08, 02:10 PM
Did you try putting the RAM into the other DIMM sockets? It could very well be a type or misprint in the manual.

Mr Bigman
12-11-08, 05:26 PM
I have the same board and modules.

I used 1 module to start and test board and posts fine and setup raid and custom bios settings for the cpu and devices and loaded OS cuz i Have Pre SP1 Disk and did the updates off the web and powered off setup and added other modules to get Tri Channel to work and went well and have all 6 slots being used now with 12 gigs of ram which is sick but who cares.

fasedww
12-11-08, 11:00 PM
I have the same board and modules.

I used 1 module to start and test board and posts fine and setup raid and custom bios settings for the cpu and devices and loaded OS cuz i Have Pre SP1 Disk and did the updates off the web and powered off setup and added other modules to get Tri Channel to work and went well and have all 6 slots being used now with 12 gigs of ram which is sick but who cares.
mr bigman help me I have the same motherboard with i7 965 boots find get in bios set boot order for dvd rom drive exit right after it start says window is loading files doesn't even ask to boot from cdrom the afterloads files it's the microsoft with the bars like the os was already installed can't format hardrive just skips all that about where to install:( and ntfs format etc, I have a OEM vista 64 bit os that I had in another computer but now I dismatelled it so I want to put it on this computer Oh yeah I have the segate 1 terbyte drive with 32 meg cache

Mr Bigman
12-12-08, 09:37 PM
Check your bios boot order and check dvd drive to see whats going on.

I had a litle issues with it but since i have the pre SP1 DVD, i loaded it with one stick of ram and after updats i added the additional ram.

Also split that drive up and make OS partiton like 100 gigs and rest for storage.

fasedww
12-12-08, 10:37 PM
Check your bios boot order and check dvd drive to see whats going on.

I had a litle issues with it but since i have the pre SP1 DVD, i loaded it with one stick of ram and after updats i added the additional ram.

Also split that drive up and make OS partiton like 100 gigs and rest for storage.
got it all working now just had to wait about two minutes after it said vista install now, iI thought it was hanging or something, been so long since I can remeber how it installed feel kinda stupid now, damn motherboard and the i7 cpu work great. got it run at 4.0ghz at 1.328 volts., got thermalrigth 120 extreme on it with thermalright 80cfm fan 2000 rpm, cpu at idle right now at 27c by pc probe , This Lian Li PC 80 case with those three 140mm fans in front keep my case cool, also I live in minneapolis and have my bedroom window cracked probally 65 Degress in my room, I just put on a sweater sometimes:D

Heinz68
12-16-08, 01:53 PM
Did try another memory sticks still no post. New Corsair HX1000W power supply solved the problem. Probably I did not need to replace the first motherboard in the first place.

Everything looks great, getting all the drivers, bios and little program (tools) I need also to get familiar with Vista 64-bit. My first experience with Vista.

Wont try any OC till all settle down, anyway compared to my old Athlon x2 4200+ the i7 965 just rocks. :)

fasedww
12-16-08, 02:23 PM
Did try another memory sticks still no post. New Corsair HX1000W power supply solved the problem. Probably I did not need to replace the first motherboard in the first place.

Everything looks great, getting all the drivers, bios and little program (tools) I need also getting familiar with Vista 64-bit. My first experience with Vista.

Wont try any OC till all settle down, anyway compared to my old Athlon x2 4200+ the i7 965 just rocks. :)

great', you will love it.:)

Mr Bigman
12-16-08, 02:24 PM
Thats good to hear.

I still can't beieve people are spending over a grand on a CPU.

Shows people are amune to the econemy.

I got mine from selling off a few laptops and parts on EBAY last month so no biggy.

Heinz68
12-16-08, 03:20 PM
Thats good to hear.

I still can't beieve people are spending over a grand on a CPU.

Shows people are amune to the econemy.

I got mine from selling off a few laptops and parts on EBAY last month so no biggy.
You're right it's little crazy, since the i7 920 will OC just about the same.

My reasoning was;
Didn't do complete upgrade for long time (skipped the Core 2) and had the $2000 for the upgrade put aside also for long time.

Hopefully the i7 965 overclock will use lower voltage for just about the same OC and lastly it was my birthday (Dec.3) and Christmas present combined. :)

walterman
12-16-08, 03:46 PM

Nice to know that you fixed the problem, and that you are running your new hw :)

Enjoy it :D

Mr Bigman
12-16-08, 03:47 PM
Cool.