PDA

View Full Version : Core i7 upgrade on its way!

saturnotaku
12-08-08, 08:00 PM
Well, my P5K-E finally died. I had run memtest on the board because I was having some stability issues. Any memory stick in DIMM 1 would come back with errors. Now, the system won't POST. Everything gets power, but nothing on screen. I have no onboard speaker, so I can't tell exactly what the error is, but I wanted to get rid of the board anyway. Since Newegg got fresh stock of the eVGA X58 board, I decided to pounce. So here's what I'm getting:

eVGA X58 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039)

Core i7 940 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115201)

SuperTalent 6 GB DDR3-1333 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609361)

Gonna hold off on SLI for now in the interest of saving some money. Going to a quad core should provide a nice boost from my old C2D. Once I have the new system up and running, I'll be selling the CPU and RAM here.

Toss3
12-08-08, 08:14 PM
Well, my P5K-E finally died. I had run memtest on the board because I was having some stability issues. Any memory stick in DIMM 1 would come back with errors. Now, the system won't POST. Everything gets power, but nothing on screen. I have no onboard speaker, so I can't tell exactly what the error is, but I wanted to get rid of the board anyway. Since Newegg got fresh stock of the eVGA X58 board, I decided to pounce. So here's what I'm getting:

eVGA X58 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039)

Core i7 940 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115201)

SuperTalent 6 GB DDR3-1333 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609361)

Gonna hold off on SLI for now in the interest of saving some money. Going to a quad core should provide a nice boost from my old C2D. Once I have the new system up and running, I'll be selling the CPU and RAM here.

That's gonna be one heck of a system! :thumbsup: Any specific reason you picked the 940 over the 920?

ViN86
12-08-08, 08:20 PM
:drooling:

those chips are quad core but have two threads per core right?

saturnotaku
12-08-08, 08:27 PM
That's gonna be one heck of a system! :thumbsup: Any specific reason you picked the 940 over the 920?

So I could get 0% interest financing for 12 months through Newegg. The 920 would have been too cheap. ;)

:drooling:

those chips are quad core but have two threads per core right?

4 actual cores and 4 virtual cores (hyperthreading) so Windows will see 8 cores in the task manager. I can't wait for fire up Lost Planet and set it for 8 CPUs. :D

bob saget
12-08-08, 08:52 PM
looks amazing :D

bacon12
12-08-08, 09:33 PM
Congrats on the nehalem rig! I am kinda glad I have to spend what money I have saved on the business and Christmas or I could not resist an upgrade.

Blacklash
12-09-08, 07:42 AM
Enjoy.

I got my stuff with a preferred account. I'll pay it off slowly and completely before the interest hits. Make sure do it before the time runs out. If you have 12 months to pay it off and don't get it done, they'll hit you will all the accumulated interest at that time. Point? Pay it off in 10 months or less if you have a 12 month time frame, or in something like 4 months if you have 6.

nekrosoft13
12-09-08, 12:34 PM
Enjoy.

I got my stuff with a preferred account. I'll pay it off slowly and completely before the interest hits. Make sure do it before the time runs out. If you have 12 months to pay it off and don't get it done, they'll hit you will all the accumulated interest at that time. Point? Pay it off in 10 months or less if you have a 12 month time frame, or in something like 4 months if you have 6.

doing the same with my HDTV now ;)

congrats on purchase saturn, will be nice boost

ViN86
12-09-08, 12:48 PM
So I could get 0% interest financing for 12 months through Newegg. The 920 would have been too cheap. ;)

4 actual cores and 4 virtual cores (hyperthreading) so Windows will see 8 cores in the task manager. I can't wait for fire up Lost Planet and set it for 8 CPUs. :D

damn that's sexeh :drooling:

saturnotaku
12-09-08, 01:26 PM
Enjoy.

Believe me, I know how this **** works. I got myself in trouble once. It was only a couple grand, but I worked my *** off to pay it all down. At $120/month, I'll have the balance paid off long before any interest hits. Credit can be a great thing, provided you know how to be responsible with it. ;)

I can't wait until the stuff arrives, though it'll be a few days before I can get it set up. My home theater system is scheduled to arrive (Christmas present from my wife and I to each other) this week, so I'll be spending the better part of Sunday getting it put together. That takes priority.

Though as soon as I placed the order, I saw the memory go out of stock. I'm hoping I got the last set or something because I don't want to have to wait. LOL

I guess we'll see if everything ships today.

fasedww
12-09-08, 01:34 PM
Enjoy.

i did the same thing cpu, ram, mobo.:)

saturnotaku
12-09-08, 03:28 PM
Stuff has been packed and shipped. I must have gotten the last set of that particular RAM they had in stock. Woo. (nana2)

grey_1
12-09-08, 05:43 PM
Very nice sat! Looking forward to some pics.

methimpikehoses
12-09-08, 05:47 PM
Nice!

Blacklash
12-09-08, 11:24 PM
UPS got my case back in circulation so I should be building tomorrow night.

I'm going to try EVGA GTX 260 SLi first then I am going to throw my old XFX card in the bottom slot for overclocked Tri-SLi.