PDA

View Full Version : Sony Has No Plans to Put Netflix on PS3

Moo
12-09-08, 03:50 PM
Bad news, PS3ers. While most of us saw Netflix on the PS3 as inevitable, Sony is not only denying rumors of its arrival to the PS3, they're explaining why they think it's a horrible idea.

SCEA's John Kohler explained:
We've concentrated most of our efforts on our download service, both rentals and downloads of movies and TV shows. Our efforts will continue to be there, because our customers want to own the content...[In regards to the Netflix streaming on NXE,] there are certainly some positives for the Xbox 360. But there's also some confusion. It goes further into the argument of "owning the content" [versus renting or accessing it].

Yeah, that almost makes a lot of sense. Except, Sony, you let people rent movies through the PlayStation Store—movies that no longer play after an arbitrary period of time. That's somehow less confusing that streaming? Really?

http://gizmodo.com/5105558/sony-has-no-plans-to-put-netflix-on-ps3

S.I.N
12-09-08, 04:01 PM
Wouldn't it distract people from buying blu-ray movies? Yeah they already have a similar service but I don't think they want to take too much from the blu-ray incentive the PS3 offers.

LurkerLito
12-09-08, 04:14 PM
That is a shame I would love the PS3 to have netflix HD streaming or a similar all you can watch for a small monthly fee type service. Download to own for movies/music is garbage IMO. With all the DRM on the files you don't own squat, if you don't remember to backup your HD if you have to change or upgrade it, you lose all the movies.

Sony's current service blows, limited to stereo sound WTF!?!? That isn't worth $0.10 cents per file let alone what they are asking for those files.

|MaguS|
12-09-08, 04:34 PM
Im willing to bet Sony will be working with Blockbuster...

Imbroglio
12-09-08, 07:22 PM
Im willing to bet Sony will be working with Blockbuster...

umm has anyone actually tried the streaming on the 360??? it's pathetic. plus the "HD" is pathetic. unless you are like 30 miles from the closest blockbuster/red box, it's a complete waste of money. anyone else have red boxes near them that just started to offer bd as well? i saw it the other day, and commented how awesome that is.

Mr. Hunt
12-09-08, 07:50 PM
Yeah... it would be nice for others, but I personally don't care about it... streaming sucks.

I heard they might be thinking about putting PS2 games on PSN, which I strongly support lol.

betterdan
12-09-08, 08:03 PM
The streaming works pretty good for me but then I've got about a 20mb down and 3 up connection. The couple HD shows I've watched have been pretty good too. The only thing that blows is there is no DD 5.1 or higher.

crainger
12-09-08, 08:10 PM
No DD5.1? Lame, you need the audio to match the picture. I'll just stick with Netflix/Quickflix by mail. Apart from the fact there are no streaming services in AU anyway...

betterdan
12-09-08, 08:16 PM
Well for the movies I watch, most aren't in 5.1 anyways. But yea that part does kinda blow.
I like weird, sick, deranged and usually retarded horror and exploitation movies. I like it because instead of having to buy the dvd or wait for it in the mail from Netflix I can just stream it up and watch.

NaitoSan
12-09-08, 09:48 PM
umm has anyone actually tried the streaming on the 360??? it's pathetic. plus the "HD" is pathetic. unless you are like 30 miles from the closest blockbuster/red box, it's a complete waste of money. anyone else have red boxes near them that just started to offer bd as well? i saw it the other day, and commented how awesome that is.
Netflix on 360 is free, if you're already a member of Netflix and Gold membership. How can it be a complete waste of money? Unless you bought Gold membership just for Netflix...

The streaming is pretty good for me, maybe it's because I have fast internet connection. Also I want to note that some movies look pretty horrible but it's not because of 360. It's Netflix's. I watched same movie on my PC, same quality.

Bman212121
12-09-08, 09:59 PM
No DD5.1? Lame, you need the audio to match the picture. I'll just stick with Netflix/Quickflix by mail. Apart from the fact there are no streaming services in AU anyway...

I prefer DD34... :bleh:

crainger
12-09-08, 11:08 PM
I prefer DD34... :bleh:

I see what you did thar. I myself prefer 36C, which I believe converts to 14C in AU sizes.

Bman212121
12-09-08, 11:36 PM
I see what you did thar. I myself prefer 36C, which I believe converts to 14C in AU sizes.

No arguments there. (nana2)

crainger
12-10-08, 12:17 AM
Now if only I can could stream then on PSN and/or NXE.

tornadog
12-10-08, 10:05 AM
I am really enjoying the netflix streaming. I am finally able to catch up with tv series like 30Rock and My Name is Earl, which I was always curious about, but didnt get around to DVR-ing for lack of space.