PDA

View Full Version : Bios Update Help !!

CAUTION
12-10-08, 05:14 PM
Hey guys I recieved my new Evga X58 motherboard, Core i7 cpu, 3X GTX260's and 2X XHD3000 monitors which by the way are too huge. But my question is how can I update my bios without using a floopy? Thanks.

grey_1
12-10-08, 05:25 PM
Will whatever utility it ships with let you use a flash drive? I still have an X38, and am able to.

CAUTION
12-10-08, 05:40 PM
Will whatever utility it ships with let you use a flash drive? I still have an X38, and am able to.

Thx for the fast reply grey, I actually went to EVGA website and downloaded WinFlash and then I saved the bios update file to my desktop and then I opened the file in WinFlash and all is well.

Thanks.

grey_1
12-10-08, 06:19 PM
Glad it worked for ya man.

bob saget
12-10-08, 06:47 PM
yea

jAkUp
12-10-08, 07:58 PM
You can use the CD method too :)

saturnotaku
12-11-08, 07:43 AM
You can use the CD method too :)

That's what I'm going to do when my board gets here. I just don't feel comfortable using Windows for something as critical as a BIOS update.

Tr1cK
12-11-08, 07:44 AM
I use a bootable USB drive.

bobmitch
12-11-08, 08:07 AM
Caution

The best method seems to be the CD one. Many people who are doing it in Windows are finding "dead" boards. Seems that the Winflash doesn't work well with Vista / XP 64 Bit versions. With the CD...you download the .iso and burn it. The CD does all the work for you. Just keep in mind...do NOT do anything until it asks you YES or NO. Then you type Y and it proceeds. Otherwise, you get an A: prompt. Also...a few other things to note:

1. Enter bios and set to default settings
2. Reboot and do the actual flash
3. At the end of flash...it will give you the option of F1 to reboot. Take out the
CD and shut down. Unplug the power to the PSU...wait for all the lights on the
board to go out...clear the CMOS. Turn the machine back on and again set bios
settings to Default. THEN...set it up the way you like.
4. All this assures a good flash, etc. Procedure actually recommended by EVGA

Bob

CAUTION
12-11-08, 09:31 AM
Caution

The best method seems to be the CD one. Many people who are doing it in Windows are finding "dead" boards. Seems that the Winflash doesn't work well with Vista / XP 64 Bit versions. With the CD...you download the .iso and burn it. The CD does all the work for you. Just keep in mind...do NOT do anything until it asks you YES or NO. Then you type Y and it proceeds. Otherwise, you get an A: prompt. Also...a few other things to note:

1. Enter bios and set to default settings
2. Reboot and do the actual flash
3. At the end of flash...it will give you the option of F1 to reboot. Take out the
CD and shut down. Unplug the power to the PSU...wait for all the lights on the
board to go out...clear the CMOS. Turn the machine back on and again set bios
settings to Default. THEN...set it up the way you like.
4. All this assures a good flash, etc. Procedure actually recommended by EVGA

Bob

Thanks for the advice Bob and Jakup, I will try the CD method when I get home from work.