PDA

View Full Version : Prince of Persia (2008) Official Release Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

NarcissistZero
12-10-08, 09:34 PM
Unless I am mistaken there is no real game reaction thread on this puppy... just downloaded from steam a but ago and it is NICE, I must say.

Game is very fun, though as mentioned in interviews it isn't really challenging. The chick saves you from everything, but you do have to repeat sections. Same old PoP gameplay really, except combat is much cooler. I felt the need to play with a gamepad though, so KB&M only folks should factor that in.

Game looks stunning if you like the art style. There are a surprising amount of graphics options from AA to texture quality, though sadly no AF (try and force it later). Lots of cutscenes show some great character models and there are spaces extremely large and wide open.

Here are some oversized screens at max settings on 1920x1200 resolution. Runs at a consistent 45-50fps on my Q6600 + GTX 260:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/492/pop1cl5.jpg
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/5669/pop2pj3.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7565/pop3sb0.jpg
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7233/pop4ge9.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9393/pop5lr5.jpg

If you're a PoP fan and like the art style, BUY IT.

crainger
12-10-08, 09:37 PM
I didn't know PC version was out. ::o:

|MaguS|
12-10-08, 09:38 PM
Think it released today...

NarcissistZero
12-10-08, 09:43 PM
It released today on Steam... not sure if retail is today or tomorrow or what.

Also: on Steam, this has no DRM of any kind past Steam's default, for those who care about such things.

crainger
12-10-08, 09:54 PM
I'm deciding between PC and PS3 version. I've waited this long so I might just get PC version and play with 360 pad.

I just realized I still haven't got Mirrors Edge either. Might just wait for PC on that too. No hurry. Didn't review all that well anyway.

NarcissistZero
12-10-08, 10:00 PM
I would bet this game would look good on PS3 as well, given that its main graphics draw is the art style... still, it looks very smooth with high AA settings and resolution, which draws out more of the hand-drawn intent. Either would be a good choice I would guess... the 360 pad works perfect on PC though, FYI... one of those games that auto-detects it and uses the right graphics and all.

I loved Mirror's Edge... definately rebuying it on PC, as the console versions had a TON of aliasing which really clashed with the smooth, pristine white world.

|MaguS|
12-10-08, 10:02 PM
The PS3 version looks great, no jaggies to worry about and comparing it to those screens... it looks identical, texture resolution and all. Sure you can go higher with AF and AA but in no way does it look bad on the PS3.

Misfire
12-10-08, 10:04 PM
have this game too, ubisoft didn't put any DRM in this. So far I love the game, great graphics and everything , big open world and very detailed. best of all, it runs smooth and fast, ahem unlike GTA4. with a geforce 8800GTS 320mb, i was able to put this puppy at 1680x1050 with max settings and 2x AA and get consistent 40-60 fps.

SH64
12-10-08, 10:17 PM
What is the title of this new PoP? .. kinda confusing not to have its own title to be distinguished from the previous PoPs.

crainger
12-10-08, 10:22 PM
I think it's just called Prince of Persia. I think they've gone back to the beginning and this prince is not the prince from the Sand of Time Trilogy.

SH64
12-10-08, 10:58 PM
Same old PoP gameplay really, except combat is much cooler. I felt the need to play with a gamepad though, so KB&M only folks should factor that in.

Ok i'm a K+M guy and hate gamepads. I did manage to finish all previous POPs with K+M only, if this game follows the same controls then i think i have no problem. unless its different this time?

NarcissistZero
12-10-08, 10:58 PM
The PS3 version looks great, no jaggies to worry about and comparing it to those screens... it looks identical, texture resolution and all. Sure you can go higher with AF and AA but in no way does it look bad on the PS3.

I really doubt it looks identical, since those are almost doubls the resolution, but... yes, I am sure it looks good, considering the style of the game. Remember my screens are downsampled and converted to jpeg.

NarcissistZero
12-10-08, 11:00 PM
Ok i'm a K+M guy and hate gamepads. I did manage to finish all previous POPs with K+M only, if this game follows the same controls then i think i have no problem. unless its different this time?

I played Sands of Time the other day and found it to be fine with a KB&M interface, but something is slightly different about this one... it has a certain flow and fast pace to it that made me plug the controller in.

It worked fine with KB&M though, which is what I used first. It is by no means unplayable in any way. I might try KB&M again next time I play and will update.

crainger
12-10-08, 11:03 PM

Are gamepads really that bad? I love them! Ever since OMF: 2097 and Duke Nukem. I've liked game pad for platforms and fighting games

SH64
12-10-08, 11:12 PM
Are gamepads really that bad? I love them! Ever since OMF: 2097 and Duke Nukem. I've liked game pad for platforms and fighting games
Its not that they are bad, i just mastered the K+M and dont wanna go back to gamepads unless i would seriously have too. I skipped DMC4 just because it wasnt playable with K+M. so yeah i'm -in a way- K+M fanboi :o

Misfire
12-10-08, 11:26 PM
Its not that they are bad, i just mastered the K+M and dont wanna go back to gamepads unless i would seriously have too. I skipped DMC4 just because it wasnt playable with K+M. so yeah i'm -in a way- K+M fanboi :o

don't worry, I'm playing with K+M and it works well. Just get used to the keys assigned and u'll be having a blast in no time, no gamepad necessary.

SH64
12-10-08, 11:33 PM
don't worry, I'm playing with K+M and it works well. Just get used to the keys assigned and u'll be having a blast in no time, no gamepad necessary.
Thats good to know! :thumbsup:

NarcissistZero
12-10-08, 11:47 PM
I do have to say, when playing on PC I really try and force KB&M whenever possible, mostly because I like the speed of mouse look.

rafarataneneces
12-11-08, 12:13 AM
Hello

The game is running on 640x480, SLI is not supported
the game looks cool

My question is, where do you change the resolution?

I modified FIFA 09 when I was 18 years old, so I DO KNOW about Video Games

I even studied at the Arts Institute of California where they have video gaming program, but decided to go with Web Design

So PLEASE do not treat me bad, in Display, all I can see is brightness!!

My game is running at 640x480

I have Windows Vista 64bit, 2xGTX 260 Core 216 (SLI), so I have more than enough power to run this baby to the max

crainger
12-11-08, 12:24 AM

Gamepads will often vibrate on your crotch.

nutcrackr
12-11-08, 01:01 AM
640X480 IS NEXT GEN!

Dreamingawake
12-11-08, 01:14 AM
Hello

the game looks cool

I even studied at the Arts Institute of California where they have video gaming program, but decided to go with Web Design

I have Windows Vista 64bit, 2xGTX 260 Core 216 (SLI), so I have more than enough power to run this baby to the max

Maybe try purchasing the game instead of (lee) ?

Please don't treat me bad, all I can do is call em as I see em ! ;)

bob saget
12-11-08, 01:26 AM
Hello

the game looks cool

when was Fifa09 released? several months ago?
are you trying to say its your birthday?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHAMP!!!!!!!

:p

evox
12-11-08, 03:22 AM
Hmm, you changed a setting of a PC title when you were 18....

My gawd, that's so amazing.....

LordJuanlo
12-11-08, 03:24 AM
The first time in ages I receive a game one day before official launch date, my respect for the Spanish mail system.

Game is really beautiful, runs at constant 60fps with 4xAA and vsync at 1920x1200 and looks gorgeous, I love the new art style. Just like all my third person games with no need to aim, I use the 360 gamepad and for me it's perfect.

I like the humor of the game, it's quite funny and voice acting in Spanish is brilliant. Sound effects are on par too, with perfect 5.1 support. I love how fluid the game is, no slowdowns at all. I have finished tutorial and headed to the first area, fights are impressive.

However I don't like that you can't die at all, if you miss a jump Elika will "save" you automagically. No sands power, no rewind, she will take you to the last "safe" spot, but I haven't seen any "checkpoint" messages.

Not sure if the game will end being tedious or repetitive like Assassin's Creed, but for now I'm loving the new Prince of Persia. BTW why the game is named 'Prince of Persia' only?. That's the name of the original game, just like they did with Alone in the Dark. This naming scheme shouldn't be allowed