PDA

View Full Version : Which brand do you prefer?

Pages : [1] 2

jeong
12-12-08, 02:57 AM
I always have used BFG's since theirs are factory-overclocked and they offer lifetime warranties. Once my 6800 card a few years back went defective, so they sent me a replacement. So even though I cannot say I never had a problem w/ their products, I did not dislike them.

But I've read some disturbing things about BFG cards in this forum and I'm beginning to reconsider the brand I should get since I plan to get a pair of GTX 295 or 285 next year.

So which brand is your favourite and why? People say EVGA's support and services are fantastic, but never having used their products, I have no clue. I know BFG ain't that bad either. I see other brands also such as XFX, ASUS, GALAXY, MSI, PNY, ZOTAC, FOXCONN, GIGABYTE, PALIT.

I definitely would appreciate what people think about this. Thanks a lot!

Lith1um
12-12-08, 12:00 PM
EVGA is very hard to go wrong with.

Their warranty is second to none. You can even pay a very nominal fee when you register your card and they'll cross ship if anything ever goes wrong in the future.

And their step up program is awesome. I just bought a 280gtx, hopefully nvidia releases in january and I'll be able to step up.

I've rma'd motherboards to them after a bad flash, very painless and relatively fast.

They release motherboard bios frequently, both in beta and final.

They have an active tech forum, and /gasp!, they even post their occasionaly.

Then there is Jakup, a forum member here, so in a small manner they have a presence here too. Of the nvidia vendors, I feel they are the best.

fyi, they also have o.c. cards. I'm running a 280gtx SSC.

I'll stay loyal to them as long as they stay the great company they seem to be.

nekrosoft13
12-12-08, 12:20 PM
evga, best support

Blacklash
12-12-08, 01:19 PM
Evga. Great support. I love their new X58 mobo too. Rocking GTX 260 Tri-SLi in it.

JohnDoe641
12-12-08, 01:30 PM
eVGA for sure. Every single card I've owned since replacing my 5900 all those years ago has been an evga card.

jAkUp
12-12-08, 01:51 PM
I like EVGA :p

jeong
12-12-08, 01:53 PM
That is some pretty overwhelming domination by EVGA. I guess I don't have a choice then lol....

SH64
12-12-08, 04:05 PM
What a surprise there! :p

I prefer MSI but only because i purchased so many cards under that brand and never had a problem with them.

JasonPC
12-12-08, 04:17 PM
EVGA all the way!

I used to like MSI when they had their own kinds of heatsinks. Not sure if they still do that?

einstein_314
12-12-08, 06:56 PM
I'm going to also go with EVGA. Can't seem to beat them really. I've never had to deal with their tech support *knocks on wood* but I've heard tons of great things about them.

Feyy
12-12-08, 07:09 PM
Palit.

Palin.

Muppet
12-12-08, 07:10 PM
XFX here. There cards are great.

jcrox
12-12-08, 07:49 PM
100% EVGA.... and I don't even work for them :p

Muppet
12-12-08, 07:54 PM
XFX are following Palit in going both ATI and Nvidia as well.

It's always good to give the customer a choice.

stjuart
12-13-08, 01:17 AM
I have owned 2 EVGA cards so far and they are great cards. The warranty wile good is annoying in that even if you got a brand new card it has to be from a major retailer off some kind or else you get a 7 day warranty. Which is bs in my opinion, because if its new and you register it they should stand by their product for at least a year no matter what. I never had to use the warranty but technically i don't have any warranty on my new evga card because of their policy.

Auswak
12-13-08, 02:50 AM
I have owned 2 EVGA cards so far and they are great cards. The warranty wile good is annoying in that even if you got a brand new card it has to be from a major retailer off some kind or else you get a 7 day warranty. Which is bs in my opinion, because if its new and you register it they should stand by their product for at least a year no matter what. I never had to use the warranty but technically i don't have any warranty on my new evga card because of their policy.

This is not right.

Can you elaborate more as to why you only get 7 days?

Thanks

ATOJAR
12-13-08, 07:10 AM

+ 1 :)

jeong
12-13-08, 11:44 AM
If I happen to have weird symptoms w/ the cards I purchase from EVGA that aren't normally covered by standard warranties such as random lockups or graphical glitches, which weren't present before purchasing the cards, will I still be able to send them in for replacements or do I have to live w/ them until they go completely defective? I know some brands do not cover such problems until the cards go completely dead.

Of course, my hypothesis is based on after performing thorough tests and having ruled out other hardware being at fault other than the graphic cards.

saturnotaku
12-13-08, 11:59 AM

If you don't purchase from an authorized retailer, you don't get any warranty. This is standard operating procedure for any piece of electronics, be it a video card, home theater system, TV, whatever.

If I happen to have weird symptoms w/ the cards I purchase from EVGA that aren't normally covered by standard warranties such as random lockups or graphical glitches, which weren't present before purchasing the cards, will I still be able to send them in for replacements or do I have to live w/ them until they go completely defective? I know some brands do not cover such problems until the cards go completely dead.

Of course, my hypothesis is based on after performing thorough tests and having ruled out other hardware being at fault other than the graphic cards.

There's no reason you wouldn't be covered for these issues. Anything that's clearly a manufacturing defect is covered, provided you purchased from an authorized reseller.

walterman
12-13-08, 03:24 PM
Here in Europe, anything except XFX.

snowmanwithahat
12-13-08, 05:06 PM
Well.... I usually go with the cheapest.

I've owned:
PNY 5200
eVGA 5700 Ultra
PNY 5900 Ultra
Albatron 6800 GT (Surprisingly good brand)
BFG 7800 GTX 512mb
MSI GTX 260

I haven't had my 260 very long, so i can't really say, but i haven't had bad experiences with any of these companies, by far BFG and eVGA have been surprisingly good. Albatron provided a VERY VERY Solid card at the time, which easily overclocked to 6800 Ultra speeds, but i can't say i ever had any experience with their tech support or actual company

Monnie Rock
12-14-08, 12:42 AM
I have had good results with both BFG & EVGA. Currently running EVGA

Bman212121
12-14-08, 02:20 AM
I've been using a lot of Evga stuff lately because that's what everyone around here uses. :p I also had good luck with XFX so I like them as well.

oushi.eg
12-14-08, 07:00 AM
Go for XFX i like their quality, and consider Gigabyte Too.

ginfest
12-14-08, 08:03 AM
EVGA FTW :)
My last 4 NV cards were EVGA, you just can't beat their Customer Service (urock)