PDA

View Full Version : Relic: PC Gaming Will Never Die

Pages : [1] 2

evox
12-12-08, 03:50 PM
Lydell told VideoGamer.com: "PC gaming has been 'dead' since 1994 and it continues to 'die' every year. But that's obviously not true, because there are people playing PC games. It's just that we're seeing changes in the types of PC games they're playing. A lot of the things that the PC had that were exclusive to it, like online experiences, are starting to come over to consoles - so it's less of a hold-out for that kind of social interaction. There's Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network - even the Wii has online components. So back in the day when Quake was defining how gamers interacted with each other online, PC gaming was 'dying' then! And I'd consider that to be the golden days. The N64 didn't kill it, the PlayStation 2 didn't kill it, and I don't think any of the upcoming consoles will kill it."

"But piracy is not going away," he added. "As an industry, piracy is something we have to work around, not something to try and eliminate - because that's a losing fight."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/12-12-2008-10192.html

NarcissistZero
12-12-08, 03:55 PM
I think PC gaming is destined to become the only kind of gaming, since consoles get more and more PC-like as the years go by. Eventually the line between PC and console will be so thin, you can barely see it.

In the meantime, I think piracy is a problem. I wish they would just embrace online activation, as I think that's a very consumer friendly DRM scheme.

Another big problem with PC gaming is what that Stardock guy spoke about when launching Impulse, that most PC games do not take advantage of the PC's benefits over cosnoles. A lot of developers just develop for the consoles and port. If PC sales go up though, we can count on more and more attention being paid to the platform.

nekrosoft13
12-12-08, 03:56 PM
piracy is something we have to work around, not something to try and eliminate - because that's a losing fight

CDProject said something similar

Noriega
12-12-08, 04:02 PM
PC is the best platform for me. PC have future while all console have to die every 5 years. Some major issue with PC games like bad optimization or crappy ports are mainly because consoles developers MS and Sony wan't to interest developers only with their platforms. Imagine- no console= no crappy ports, better optimisation.

|MaguS|
12-12-08, 04:20 PM
I think PC gaming is destined to become the only kind of gaming, since consoles get more and more PC-like as the years go by. Eventually the line between PC and console will be so thin, you can barely see it.

How are consoles becoming like PCs? Sure they are becoming more multimedia centered but they are far from ever becoming like PCs. Everything on a console for the most part is automated from installs to updates, something that PCs are lacking.

I think PCs are going to become more console like if anything. I think that updates and installs will become simpler and remove alot of the users options. We see that already with many games recommended settings or disabling settings they don't believe the user would take advantage of.

MaxFX
12-13-08, 07:54 AM
Yepp you got it guys, consoles as we know it will die, many in the industry say it will go that way!

We all know who this consol troll is right, so he now is holding on to dear life as he KNOWS his lovely littly toys will just vanished.

The Only Future Is The PC, take that you console troll ;)

MaxFX
12-13-08, 07:57 AM
PC is the best platform for me. PC have future while all console have to die every 5 years. Some major issue with PC games like bad optimization or crappy ports are mainly because consoles developers MS and Sony wan't to interest developers only with their platforms. Imagine- no console= no crappy ports, better optimisation.

1+ and we can all sing and dance as that day is coming sooner or later my friend :D
Then all crappy ports are a thing of the past!

NarcissistZero
12-13-08, 07:57 AM
How are consoles becoming like PCs? Sure they are becoming more multimedia centered but they are far from ever becoming like PCs. Everything on a console for the most part is automated from installs to updates, something that PCs are lacking.

Well... consoles never had online gaming as a focus, and now they do. They never had patches, and now they do. They never had expansions, and now they do. They never had installs, and now they do.

On top of that genres and styles that used to be PC mainly, like western RPGs and FPS, are now popular on consoles. Let's not forget 90% of console gaming was from japanese developers until the Xbox era.

I would say consoles are VERY much more like PCs now-a-days.

|MaguS|
12-13-08, 08:42 AM
Well... consoles never had online gaming as a focus, and now they do. They never had patches, and now they do. They never had expansions, and now they do. They never had installs, and now they do.

On top of that genres and styles that used to be PC mainly, like western RPGs and FPS, are now popular on consoles. Let's not forget 90% of console gaming was from japanese developers until the Xbox era.

I would say consoles are VERY much more like PCs now-a-days.

What does that have to do with being similar to PCs? Online was just not possible on older consoles, consoles are just catching up but if you look at PC Gaming they are also getting alot of genres that were just not popular on PCs.

Patching and Installs are just developers being lazy and is an excuse for them to churn out title after title.

When I think of something being PC like I think multitasking and running more then just games on the system. I don't know about you but I do alot more then just play games on my PC. Yet to push my thinking further... you think of a PC as a primary gaming platform... which it NEVER was...

PCs are becoming more streamlined even in the OS. Look at OSX, it does many tasks automated so the user doesn't have to worry about anything, Im sure the next Windows will be like that. Using a gamepad is becoming common on the PC aswell, as is hooking it up to your TV...

Heck if consoles were becoming like PCs wouldn't primarly console developers be switching to PC developement insted of the otherway around with primarly PC Developers switching to consoles?

ralinn
12-13-08, 08:48 AM
Yepp you got it guys, consoles as we know it will die, many in the industry say it will go that way!

We all know who this consol troll is right, so he now is holding on to dear life as he KNOWS his lovely littly toys will just vanished.

O_o

mailman2
12-13-08, 08:54 AM
They expect you to buy a $600 new console every year, and $60+ each game... its not like it's any cheaper...

Develop for the PC, port for the console. Thats how it should be.

|MaguS|
12-13-08, 08:55 AM

Yup, Im the troll... go play in traffic.

In a couple of years when the only games PCs are getting are year late ports from consoles... then we will see who is crying.

^ Is just to egg the Elitiest on...

Noriega
12-13-08, 09:00 AM
Yup, Im the troll... go play in traffic.

In a couple of years when the only games PCs are getting are year late ports from consoles... then we will see who is crying.

^ Is just to egg the Elitiest on...

See I have console but I don't want to support whole business model and market. I hate closed platforms and MS, Sony, Nintendo that talks what is best for you and whole this bragging and harming others. There are still games on PC like simulations that are on no other platforms also theres a lot of RPG's RTS and other strategy games. See not everyone want to play some stupid casual games or dumbfu** GoW or Halo.

|MaguS|
12-13-08, 09:05 AM
There are still games on PC like simulations that are on no other platforms also theres a lot of RPG's RTS and other strategy games. See not everyone want to play some stupid casual games or dumbfu** GoW or Halo.

Most (if not all) RPGs are going console, even the mighty Witcher is getting a console port and if it sells well then you can bet that the next game will release for consoles at the same time or even first.

RTS will be primarly on PC for awhile due to controls but slowly they are adapting them to consoles. Look at how many released alone this year for consoles...

Simulations are such a small nitch market that it would take awhile, other then graphics there is no reason why they couldn't be done on consoles. Flight controls have been made for consoles in the past, just haven't been this generation.

You all seem to forget the first rule, All these Publishers and Developers are a business and they will go where ever the money is. They don't give a **** about "fans", they will tell you one thing but when they go into their closed meetings they only talk about one thing... the profits they could make. In the end consoles generate the most revenue, even with titles leaking on the X360 early they still sell acouple million the first month yet many PC titles take almost a year.

PCs will probably stay as a primarly casual and MMO market for many years but many "hardcore" games will probably either be multiplatform or console first in the future. DLC and Downloadable games are going to be a strong aspect of sales in the future and consoles make it the easiest for the developer.

Noriega
12-13-08, 09:10 AM
I don't care about numbers I don't even have time to play whole this cool and uberawesome AA console titles. You see you talking ( just like MS marketing guys I thing they washed your brain already ) how big money are on consoles or how many games going first to consoles if gaming for you is just showing how cool you are cause you playing platform that has most sells and most titles then consoles are for you. I just care about games and my feeling and I prefer PC.

sMull
12-13-08, 09:14 AM
Whoever though pc gaming will die, ever, has something wrong with their brain. A console is a just an inferior, cheaper, and accessible gaming PC for the masses. It's fine for what it does, but don't even start talking it will replace the PC.

|MaguS|
12-13-08, 09:17 AM
I don't care about numbers I don't even have time to play whole this cool and uberawesome AA console titles. You see you talking ( just like MS marketing guys I thing they washed your brain already ) how big money are on consoles or how many games going first to consoles if gaming for you is just showing how cool you are cause you playing platform that has most sells and most titles then consoles are for you. I just care about games and my feeling and I prefer PC.

Yes but thats not what were talking about... Everyone talks about how consoles will die and how the PC platform is superior and blah blah blah. I don't care about how many are sold either, but what I am saying is a developer/publisher does. They don't care that you want AA or AF, they care about the bottom line.

It's great that you prefer PC, I prefer consoles if the gameplay experiance is not hindered by any flaws. I still play on the PC often (heck I think in the last two weeks I barely touched a console thanks to L4D). I go where the games are, not because of any specific platform, unlike many people here who refuse to play certain games because its not on their prefered platform or lacks a certain feature.

|MaguS|
12-13-08, 09:30 AM
Whoever though pc gaming will die, ever, has something wrong with their brain. A console is a just an inferior, cheaper, and accessible gaming PC for the masses. It's fine for what it does, but don't even start talking it will replace the PC.

I don't think PC Gaming will die ever because there are those die hard who just wont ever leave the platform or markets that just don't do well with console sales (like Korea and China). But I do believe that PC Gaming will be alot like consoles where it will be more streamlined and accessible. I imagine a PC Player in the future only needing to put the CD in and the game will auto launch and install without player interaction. Systems like Steam are already giving a semi console experiance, look at L4D where the default option is a match system rather then a server browser.

MowTin
12-13-08, 09:38 AM

+1

PC gaming is also very popular in Asia. Unfortunately, the Asian market like the Russian/East Europe market is nearly 100% pirated.

Noriega
12-13-08, 09:39 AM
I don't need hardware and big company that decide for me just like I prefer manual gerbox in cars. I just love to make everything by myself and tweak games to my taste.

NOTE! Steam was before Xbox Live in his new form!

NarcissistZero
12-13-08, 09:47 AM
When I think of something being PC like I think multitasking and running more then just games on the system. I don't know about you but I do alot more then just play games on my PC. Yet to push my thinking further... you think of a PC as a primary gaming platform... which it NEVER was...

Where the hell did I say I think of PCs as primarily a gaming platform? Also, why are you focusing on one aspect of what is "PC-like" and ignoring all others?

I stated several obvious examples of how consoles have taken on many PC gaming aspects in the last 5 years or so. If you choose not to see the obvious on that score, then that's your decision.

Yaboze
12-13-08, 09:51 AM
I am primarily a PC gamer, but...

They don't expect you to buy a $600 console every year, the latest consoles came out in 2006 and are not being updated for a few years yet.

Consoles last 4-5 years.

What is expected is hardware to keep upgrading, i.e. videocards. Everyone on this board has upgraded every 2 years, at least. It's that very upgrade cycle that boards like this exist. Look at everyone's sigs, tons of people have ATI's and Nvidia GTX's, which are 2008 cards. The people who don't have 8800's or maybe even 7800's are going to upgrade soon.

That's what sucks about the PC, IMHO, but I still prefer it, mainly because I play MMO's and I like WASD, mouselook and higher resolution displays for games.

MaxFX
12-13-08, 10:12 AM
As I said the console troll holding on for dear life, all his rambling is just for convince himself otherwise, but surely we all knows better (nana2)

Yeah sure Pc Gaming is dead since 1994 just as Randy said, BS is the only word for them idiots!

Pc's growing everyday and as you can see they sells hardware like never before, and pc gaming is dying, sure take your thumb out your ass pc's is the future as thats the only logical way and it will never die!

As staded before I like to play on console sometimes, thats what I have a PS3 for and it's a great piece of kit but Pc will soon render all consoles obsolete, thay are cheaper then ever and it's getting easier then ever to use them for games so the future is damn bright :D

ClosetFanBoy
12-13-08, 10:12 AM
I don't think PC Gaming will die ever because there are those die hard who just wont ever leave the platform or markets that just don't do well with console sales (like Korea and China). But I do believe that PC Gaming will be alot like consoles where it will be more streamlined and accessible. I imagine a PC Player in the future only needing to put the CD in and the game will auto launch and install without player interaction. Systems like Steam are already giving a semi console experiance, look at L4D where the default option is a match system rather then a server browser.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think eventually what we are going to see, are the things that make the console so attractive, come to the PC, and Valve, have started that process. Match system, achievements, unlockables and so on. Steam resembles Market Place etc. Basically they buy up all the good mods and price tag them, there's your DLC. ;)

Valve very much reflect the console minded dev catering to the PC.

Toss3
12-13-08, 10:42 AM
Is there really that big a difference between the two anymore? I mean they're just different sides of the same coin.