PDA

View Full Version : GTA IV weird info in files

Noriega
12-12-08, 07:05 PM
Ok so I checked what is in GTA IV files in D:\...GTAIV\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data

I have there a file cj_images.txt and there is an sentence "NOTE: The names and paths in this file are CASESENSITIVE on PS3 so don't f*ck 'em up."

in some other files

"Press START on controller to reload this file while the game is running." - this sound's like an note in beta stage

"# note - numbers on left hand must align up!
# any new stats needed see DerekP, otherwise
# feel free to adjust values!" DerekP is an supervisor or what?

"Load IDEs first, then the models and after that the IPLs
#"

looks like we got conversion from ps3 version

Toss3
12-13-08, 05:23 AM
It's a buggy pile of crap that's what it is.

NarcissistZero
12-13-08, 08:19 AM
It's a buggy pile of crap that's what it is.

For some people.

Noriega
12-13-08, 08:28 AM
For some people.

NarcissistZero remember world is not only you who have no problems with GTA IV but also thousands of players who buyed original game and have a lot of bugs and issues. Making games that can run very well on 2 000$ desktop PC is not a problem, really.

NarcissistZero
12-13-08, 08:54 AM
NarcissistZero remember world is not only you who have no problems with GTA IV but also thousands of players who buyed original game and have a lot of bugs and issues. Making games that can run very well on 2 000$ desktop PC is not a problem, really.

I'm just pointing out that many people are running the game fine with no issues, that's all. Everyone takes that as mocking their issues I think, but I don't mean it that way at all. I just think it's sad when great games like GTA4, Gears of War and Crysis get bashed and bashed, over and over, for performance issues the majority of players don't suffer from. It prevents people from buying and enjoying these great games, and PC developers from seeing the sales these great games deserve.

That's all. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

Toss3
12-13-08, 10:52 AM
I'm just pointing out that many people are running the game fine with no issues, that's all. Everyone takes that as mocking their issues I think, but I don't mean it that way at all. I just think it's sad when great games like GTA4, Gears of War and Crysis get bashed and bashed, over and over, for performance issues the majority of players don't suffer from. It prevents people from buying and enjoying these great games, and PC developers from seeing the sales these great games deserve.

That's all. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

But both crysis and gears of war never had the numerous amount of bugs GTA IV suffers from(just check their forums for christ's sake). It's like they didn't test this game at all. Crysis and GoW don't deserve to be put into the same sentence as this game.

I don't know if you're just very lucky because I've got 10 friends who all waited for the pc version all of whom have run into fatal crashes or random texture-bugs.

What settings are you using btw.?

NarcissistZero
12-13-08, 12:30 PM
But both crysis and gears of war never had the numerous amount of bugs GTA IV suffers from(just check their forums for christ's sake). It's like they didn't test this game at all. Crysis and GoW don't deserve to be put into the same sentence as this game.

I don't know if you're just very lucky because I've got 10 friends who all waited for the pc version all of whom have run into fatal crashes or random texture-bugs.

What settings are you using btw.?

I can't go in any Gears of War thread without reading what a "buggy piece of s**t" it is, so I don't know what you mean on that score... that is another game, like GTA4 and Crysis (to a lesser degree), that is surrounded by a massive cloud of negativity that is, in my opinion, unjustified. That's why I grouped them together.

As for my settings, I posted a benchmark in the main thread. Basically I use high textures, highest rendering and middle-range levels on the other things.

As for me being lucky, I really think I am. I have pretty much no serious issues with PC games ever... every game people complain about being buggy and such I usually run with no problems, and this is another example. I don't know if this is because I usually buy pre-built systems or because I have barely any programs on my PC other than games and keep a very clean machine. In any case, I have had 3 or 4 games give me serious problems over the course of my whole life, and GTA4 is not one of them. The last one was Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Another was Diablo 2, which always gave me memory errors. Another was Gothic 3.

I think every other game ever has run well, or had a quick fix for any issue.

crainger
12-13-08, 03:25 PM
ffs NarcissistZero. Let people have their own opinions.

mailman2
12-13-08, 03:37 PM
I didn't have any issues with GOW or GTA IV. I think alot of people over-estimate their machines. The rest of them just don't know how to setup a PC properly. 42% completion on GTA IV ;) and I loved GOW, that was a great game!

crainger
12-13-08, 03:55 PM
You'll love GoW2. It's similar, just moar Epic!

mailman2
12-13-08, 04:06 PM
You'll love GoW2. It's similar, just moar Epic!

Ive got it for my 360 but I cant aim for anything with the 360 controller. waiting for the PC port to come... someday....

Toss3
12-13-08, 07:38 PM
I can't go in any Gears of War thread without reading what a "buggy piece of s**t" it is, so I don't know what you mean on that score... that is another game, like GTA4 and Crysis (to a lesser degree), that is surrounded by a massive cloud of negativity that is, in my opinion, unjustified. That's why I grouped them together.

Crysis to my knowledge suffered from very high hardware requirements which led to people having bad performance with it(there was also the case of the missing back wheels).

As for my settings, I posted a benchmark in the main thread. Basically I use high textures, highest rendering and middle-range levels on the other things.

And you get no missing textures or texture popup? No clipping errors or anything? I think you're either not paying attention to these things or then you just ignore them as a minor annoyance. Because there is no way you haven't run into a single bug in this game.

As for me being lucky, I really think I am. I have pretty much no serious issues with PC games ever... every game people complain about being buggy and such I usually run with no problems, and this is another example. I don't know if this is because I usually buy pre-built systems or because I have barely any programs on my PC other than games and keep a very clean machine. In any case, I have had 3 or 4 games give me serious problems over the course of my whole life, and GTA4 is not one of them. The last one was Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Another was Diablo 2, which always gave me memory errors. Another was Gothic 3.

I think every other game ever has run well, or had a quick fix for any issue.

Well there are still people out there who can't even get the textures to load in GTA IV and the game's been out for 10 days.

nemecb
12-13-08, 09:37 PM
looks like we got conversion from ps3 version
Not really, those files are in the common directory which means they're probably shared over all platforms (hence the comment about case-sensitive filenames - a PS3 programmer wouldn't need a reminder, but a Windows one might).

NarcissistZero
12-14-08, 10:32 AM
And you get no missing textures or texture popup? No clipping errors or anything? I think you're either not paying attention to these things or then you just ignore them as a minor annoyance. Because there is no way you haven't run into a single bug in this game.

I haven't had any serious issues... I think there was one time the game was loading textures a little slower than the other times, but I quit the game and restarted and everything was fine after that. The game streams in textures like Mass Effect and UE3 games, so I think it's somewhat expected for the game... it's a lot better on PC than on 360, I promise you.