PDA

View Full Version : Underworld patch for download version?

Mike89
12-22-08, 05:43 PM
How many here have got this game patched from a purchased download version? From where did you get the download version you have?

What a fiasco this has been for me. I usually download my games from Steam. This time I chose to buy it directly from Eidos. What a freaking mistake that was.

I click to buy it from them. Somehow it ended up I got an confirmation email from "gamesplanet" with the download links and activation code. I install and play.

Then the game patch comes out. Ok, I now start looking where to find it. I go back to the Eidos site and there is no mention of any game patches (for the download version) anywhere to be found on this game or any other game for that matter.

I again click on the link to buy from Eidos again (just to see where it went) and get "Trymedia" to buy. That didn't look familiar to me. I then re-examined that confirmation email I got from gamesplanet. I get the credit card statement that shows "metaboli FR". Now I'm thinking, "wtf, just where did I buy this game from?"

I email Eidos. They basically tell me they have nothing to do with the download version games (it's their game for crying out loud) and to contact Trymedia. I email Trymedia, they tell me to take a hike, they never heard of me. I email gamesplanet and get a generic message pointing to their website. I go to their website, try to get into the accounts section and get a message saying they have no record of me ever downloading from them.

They have a patch section there but no Underworld patch listed as of yet. Every other freaking site that sells download version games has it but they don't, yet on the bottom of their email with the game file links and activation code is the words, "thanks for downloading from the Eidoshop".

Jeez, f-ing holy moly louize!

Needless to say I'll never buy a download version game again from Eidos (Eidos can suck on my weidos). Should of stuck with Steam.

Medion
12-22-08, 06:08 PM
How long ago did you buy it? Since it's download, I'm assuming you used a credit card. If it's a credit card, and the purchase was within the last 6 months, simply call the CC company's number on the back of the card, get a live rep, and request a chargeback. Have the purchase date, amount, and vendor handy, so that you can give them this info. Explain to them that the company seems to have no record of selling you said product, and that you cannot get the product they supposedly didn't sell you.

This will immediately refund you the purchase amount. It will also force that company to pay a small fine (of about $25), as well as go to their record chargeback ratio. Chargeback ratios over 1.0% cause Visa/MC/AMEX (not sure on Discover) to drop that merchant.

However, you also forfeit your right to the game, and should re-purchase legally using a different vendor and/or method. Hope this helps.

Mike89
12-22-08, 06:28 PM
I bought it November 18, when it first came out.

Well it appears that Eidos subs out to either/both Trymedia or Gamesplanet which I guess is sponsored by Metaboli FR.

Gamesplanet is acknowledging I bought from them. My main gripe was the disconnect in information between when trying to get support. Apparently buying from Eidos through Gamesplanet is different from buying directly from Gamesplanet as far as tying into their accounts section on their website.

I assume I will one day be getting the patch whenever they get around to releasing it.

Funny thing is I did a search for Metaboli and got a web site where game downloads are also sold. On that site they don't even have the game yet much less the patch. It's still listing Underworld as "coming soon", heh heh.

Eidos needs to find a better way to deliver and manage their download version games.

Medion
12-22-08, 06:53 PM
Then issue the charge back based on lack of support, and re-purchase it from a more reputable source. This way you still get the same product, with the proper patch, and you're still legally paying for it. At the same time, a shady e-tailer takes a hit.

NarcissistZero
12-23-08, 01:03 AM
The only way I became comfortable with downloading games was when a really reputable company got into it (Valve), and even then only after the service became somewhat large and popular.

Sorry you got burned, but... what made you take the risk?

crainger
12-23-08, 05:58 AM
I guess he felt safe buying from the publisher. I would have thought it safe too. Steam is the only place I really trust now though. I got burnt on EA Link, but that was my own stupid impulse buying. ::(:

nekrosoft13
12-23-08, 07:14 AM
Steam is nice until it all goes wrong ;)

Mike89
12-23-08, 01:23 PM
what made you take the risk?

As Crainger stated, buying directly from Eidos didn't seem like a risk. Now I know Eidos farms out to different companies who then take over providing support, patches, etc. BTW, I was also charged a "VAT" fee because the company is apparently in France. It wasn't much but it's just the point that I didn't knowingly sign up for that.

I've already asked for a refund on grounds of misrepresentation and lack of support. Curious to see if I get it. If I get it, I will then buy it again from Steam (which I should have done in the first place). If I don't get it, I may chuck it anyway, eat my losses and buy it again. I looked at the site and see they are way behind on other patches too. For example, they still don't have the 1.07 patch for Stalker Clear Sky yet. I don't want to have to go through this waiting everytime a game patch comes out.

I'm pretty much done buying disc games. Too much hassle for me to keep track of discs and have to go hunting for no cd cracks (and no, I'm not a pirate) so I can play without a disc in drive. Never could see the reasoning behind having to have a disk in the drive to play a game anyway. Gets to be a hassle when one has a lot of games. I'll take the download any day.

Q
12-23-08, 01:41 PM
The only way I became comfortable with downloading games was when a really reputable company got into it (Valve), and even then only after the service became somewhat large and popular.

Sorry you got burned, but... what made you take the risk?

Valve isn't immune to this problem, either. I've had support tickets in with Steam for YEARS and they have never responded to my concerns. It was X3: The Threat. The game wouldn't finish downloading. It was stuck at 99 or 100% and I had tried it on three different machines at as many locations just to make sure it wasn't my problem or my ISPs. I tried getting in touch with Valve through there support website. I would have called them but I couldn't find their support contact information. Sometime last year I guess they fixed the problem and I was able to play the game that I paid for nearly two years ago.

It was super.

NaitoSan
12-23-08, 01:42 PM
You should have done some researching before buying from site that you never had experience with, especially when you're giving out your credit card info to. That'll save you a lot of troubles.

NarcissistZero
12-23-08, 05:05 PM
Valve isn't immune to this problem, either. I've had support tickets in with Steam for YEARS and they have never responded to my concerns. It was X3: The Threat. The game wouldn't finish downloading. It was stuck at 99 or 100% and I had tried it on three different machines at as many locations just to make sure it wasn't my problem or my ISPs. I tried getting in touch with Valve through there support website. I would have called them but I couldn't find their support contact information. Sometime last year I guess they fixed the problem and I was able to play the game that I paid for nearly two years ago.

It was super.

Valve have always responded to my tickets within a few days, and have always been extremely helpful and courteous.

Medion
12-23-08, 05:30 PM
I've already asked for a refund on grounds of misrepresentation and lack of support. Curious to see if I get it. If I get it, I will then buy it again from Steam (which I should have done in the first place). If I don't get it, I may chuck it anyway, eat my losses and but it again. I looked at the site and see they are way behind on other patches too. For example, they still don't have the 1.07 patch for Stalker Clear Sky yet. I don't want to have to go through this waiting everytime a game patch comes out.

No need to eat your losses, simply do the chargeback.

saturnotaku
12-23-08, 06:16 PM
No need to eat your losses, simply do the chargeback.

This.

Misfire
12-24-08, 01:12 AM
How many here have got this game patched from a purchased download version? From where did you get the download version you have?

What a fiasco this has been for me. I usually download my games from Steam. This time I chose to buy it directly from Eidos. What a freaking mistake that was.

I click to buy it from them. Somehow it ended up I got an confirmation email from "gamesplanet" with the download links and activation code. I install and play.

Then the game patch comes out. Ok, I now start looking where to find it. I go back to the Eidos site and there is no mention of any game patches (for the download version) anywhere to be found on this game or any other game for that matter.

I again click on the link to buy from Eidos again (just to see where it went) and get "Trymedia" to buy. That didn't look familiar to me. I then re-examined that confirmation email I got from gamesplanet. I get the credit card statement that shows "metaboli FR". Now I'm thinking, "wtf, just where did I buy this game from?"

I email Eidos. They basically tell me they have nothing to do with the download version games (it's their game for crying out loud) and to contact Trymedia. I email Trymedia, they tell me to take a hike, they never heard of me. I email gamesplanet and get a generic message pointing to their website. I go to their website, try to get into the accounts section and get a message saying they have no record of me ever downloading from them.

They have a patch section there but no Underworld patch listed as of yet. Every other freaking site that sells download version games has it but they don't, yet on the bottom of their email with the game file links and activation code is the words, "thanks for downloading from the Eidoshop".

Jeez, f-ing holy moly louize!

Needless to say I'll never buy a download version game again from Eidos (Eidos can suck on my weidos). Should of stuck with Steam.

there is torrents out there with the latest underworld patch, im not sure if it works for download version, it should be the same? try that out.

NarcissistZero
12-24-08, 01:20 AM
there is torrents out there with the latest underworld patch, im not sure if it works for download version, it should be the same? try that out.

If he was going to use the normal patch, he could download it from almost anywhere.

crainger
12-24-08, 03:03 AM
Things magically work better if you use torrent.

Mike89
12-27-08, 02:02 PM
Well the hell with it. I bought the game again through Steam and am happily playing it now with the patch. Gamesplanet is not going to refund me. The charge back on credit card didn't work either. A charge back is not that easy to get. I actually did get the game through gamesplanet so the credit card company doesn't consider that a breach of anything to warrant a charge back (not providing patches in a timely manner is not enough). I figured I was going to eat this one and I really don't care much. I just chalk this one up to experience. I have that one installed on my daughter's computer so I am (or she is) getting use out of it. She will just have to wait until gamesplanet gets around to patching it. At least now I know where not to buy download games in the future. Jeez.