PDA

View Full Version : dual boot vista?

vert305
12-24-08, 07:24 PM
Just curious if anyone here dual boots XP for gaming.

I have Vista 64 right now and I was thinking of dual booting XP only for gaming. I should say a Triple boot, because I already have Ubuntu installed on a dual boot.

Im just having the biggest problem with GTA4 on my Vista 64.

mailman2
12-24-08, 07:25 PM
I do, but I dont dual boot per say.

I bought another HD, both are SATA. I can select which one to boot from in the bios. So I have 2 separate installs on two separate drives. No dual boot, boot loader etc crap. Works best if you are thinking of running multiple OSes. HDs are cheap.

GTA IV runs better in XP and I have 0 issues with it there. I prefer to play FC2 in Vista for DX10, but right now thats the only game I prefer in Vista.

LordJuanlo
12-24-08, 07:28 PM
I had dual boot with XP SP2 and Vista 64 until september, but I have finally removed XP, because I ended playing all my games on Vista.

However an XP partition won't hurt you, it's useful to have a second OS just if the other fails, for recovery purposes.

BTW I don't have any problems with GTA under Vista x64

mailman2
12-24-08, 07:30 PM
I hate the input lag in Vista. Games just feel "mushy". tried everything I could find to eliminate it. Best solution was change pre-rendered frames to 1 in the NV CP. If there wasnt mouse acceleration (even if you disable it in the CP, it exists in games) in Vista I would stop using XP too. Windows 7 has it as well so it doesnt look like this is going to be resolved anytime soon :(

vert305
12-24-08, 07:34 PM
I guess the problem really l think is with WINDOWS LIVE. just does not let me load any profile in GTA4.

So I am thinking of putting XP on my second hard-drive. I have never had this big of a vista problem and I would only be doing this for GTA4, So i dont even know if its worth the trouble.

It prob. will not be until after the new year when rockstar gets of their ass and puts out another patch.

I also hear people get better frame rates on XP .. might be helpful in crysis warheard?

mailman2
12-24-08, 09:15 PM
I also hear people get better frame rates on XP .. might be helpful in crysis warheard?

Yes and yes.

Blade
12-25-08, 07:02 AM
I triple boot but use Vista 32 now for all my games!

MUFC4EVER
12-25-08, 05:47 PM
I dual boot with XP and Vista ultimate 32 bit. All my games runs faster in XP and I have no issues. In Vista games run slower and with some lag etc.

Much prefer to game in XP and only use Vista now and again to keep up to speed.

Who knows what Windows 7 might bring but until then I'll stick with XP for games.

:)

vert305
12-25-08, 06:20 PM
Ok... I set it all up today!

Vista Ultimate 64
Ubuntu 32
XP pro 64

Works great! ... Also my problem with GTA4 is no more! .. it works like a charm!
I am now an XP GAMER!

DRen72
12-25-08, 08:33 PM
...However an XP partition won't hurt you, it's useful to have a second OS just if the other fails, for recovery purposes. The only reason I still have XP installed alongside Vista.

I plan to leave it that way until Windows 7 at which time I plan to finally retire XP and then run Vista & 7 together.

LordJuanlo
12-26-08, 02:44 AM
Ok... I set it all up today!

Vista Ultimate 64
Ubuntu 32
XP pro 64

Works great! ... Also my problem with GTA4 is no more! .. it works like a charm!
I am now an XP GAMER!

I haven't read good things about XP64 for gaming mate

MowTin
12-26-08, 04:07 AM
I dual boot. I keep the XP partition for games that won't work properly in vista. Now that games are working better with Vista I never boot up to XP.

jeffmd
12-27-08, 03:32 AM
I had kept xp as a dual boot option for a while, but when I re built it several months ago I tossed the XP drive caise I hadnt booted into xp in so long. vista 64 has been plenty stable and games run fine in it. I dont miss the 10 or so extra fps xp may give em.

mailman2
12-27-08, 08:31 AM

honestly Vista x64 has made XP x64 that much better. Improved drivers and apps. Last time I used XP x64, which was recently, everything worked as well as XP x86. More and more people are migrating back to XP lately. My on buddy was having issues with games not running well, he thought it was upgrade time. Went back to XP and couldnt believe how much faster his games play. He didn't need an upgrade, it was Vista holding his performance back that much.

vert305
12-27-08, 06:05 PM

Actually. I could not play GTA4 until I made all the updates and installed SP2. When I first popped in the CD to install the game I was presented with an error screen saying your OS does not support this game.

mailman2
12-27-08, 08:50 PM
Actually. I could not play GTA4 until I made all the updates and installed SP2. When I first popped in the CD to install the game I was presented with an error screen saying your OS does not support this game.

so how does xp x64 sp2 run GTA IV?

vert305
12-28-08, 11:09 AM
Works Fantastic! - About to start up some multi-player action right now.

vert305
12-28-08, 12:19 PM
I just ran crysis fraps on Vista and XP to see the difference..

XP ran way better then Vista. But XP does not allow Utlra High settings. I am assuming that Ultra high is DX10?

But i was able to run 1920X1200 in XP very playable all settings HIGH. with NO AA.

My computer:
Quad Core - Q9550
8800 GTS - 640 version
4gigs of OCZ ram
750I motherboard

I will post Avg FPS b/w the 2 soon.

Eliminator
12-28-08, 12:24 PM

XP ran way better then Vista. But XP does not allow Utlra High settings. I am assuming that Ultra high is DX10?

But i was able to run 1920X1200 in XP very playable all settings HIGH. with NO AA.

My computer:
Quad Core - Q9550
8800 GTS - 640 version
4gigs of OCZ ram
750I motherboard

actually theres not much difference between vista and xp in any games in terms of performance... the reason crysis runs bad in vista is because you played it on ultra high DX10... run crysis in vista in high DX9 and you will get about the same FPS as in XP... ultra high can be forced through ini tweaks in DX9... to run crysis in dx9 in vista i believe you right click the shortcut and select run in dx9 or if that doesnt work try adding -dx9 to the shortcut path

mailman2
12-28-08, 03:02 PM

My computer:
Quad Core - Q9550
8800 GTS - 640 version
4gigs of OCZ ram
750I motherboard

Yea, same thing I find everytime I go back and run something in XP. Ultra high is DX10, DX10 has input lag and just hurts performance too much. I think Far Cry 2 is the only game that I prefer to use DX10 for. Wish there was just a switch to shut off DX10 in Vista lol.

Its amazing how things that are unplayable in Vista are so very playable in XP at the same settings though isnt it?

Koko56
12-29-08, 07:48 PM
I've installed GTA IV on a new XP install, with a new HD. And BOY is it better...

The FPS are similar, but they stay like that all the time and the hang ups are gone. The only problem is that I can't use my savegames from Vista in XP somehow... :/ damn.

Kind of don't want to play it all over again now.

mailman2
12-29-08, 08:21 PM
I've installed GTA IV on a new XP install, with a new HD. And BOY is it better...

The FPS are similar, but they stay like that all the time and the hang ups are gone. The only problem is that I can't use my savegames from Vista in XP somehow... :/ damn.

Kind of don't want to play it all over again now.

yes, you can - I bounce back and forth from Vista to W7 to XP all the time.

Install the game on a fresh install. Start a new game it will create a new folder with numbers and stuff. Then just move the files in the Savegame folder into it. You cannot just transplant the folder, you have to move the save game files into the new savegame folder. Everytime you reinstall it creates a new folder with a unique ID you just need to move the save files into that,

Koko56
12-29-08, 09:56 PM
yes, you can - I bounce back and forth from Vista to W7 to XP all the time.

Install the game on a fresh install. Start a new game it will create a new folder with numbers and stuff. Then just move the files in the Savegame folder into it. You cannot just transplant the folder, you have to move the save game files into the new savegame folder. Everytime you reinstall it creates a new folder with a unique ID you just need to move the save files into that,

So, copy Vista save files, then paste into the new folder created by the new install?

I've just tried it a few minutes ago and now, it still gives me a message to "check my hard drive". Hmmmm.

EDIT: Like so:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/Koko56/th_untitled-4.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/Koko56/?action=view&current=untitled-4.jpg)

Eliminator
12-29-08, 11:14 PM
So, copy Vista save files, then paste into the new folder created by the new install?

I've just tried it a few minutes ago and now, it still gives me a message to "check my hard drive". Hmmmm.

EDIT: Like so:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/Koko56/th_untitled-4.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/Koko56/?action=view&current=untitled-4.jpg)
:udawg: .... roflmao... what next please make sure your computer is turned on and try again?

Koko56
12-29-08, 11:26 PM
:o

:p