PDA

View Full Version : Does SLI work in GTAIV?

Soetdjuret
12-24-08, 08:29 PM
Well for me it doesn't. And i have the latest drivers, the 180.84 :/

Cheers!

JasonPC
12-24-08, 10:32 PM
Works as in actually helps the framerate or as in doesn't crash? For me it works but it doesn't help any because the game is so CPU dependant. If anything it may actually lower the framerate.

Bokishi
12-24-08, 11:49 PM
it helps at high high resolution

Roliath
12-25-08, 02:19 AM
I'm getting about 10~20 more frames with SLI enabled (avg increase) (2x GTX 260's) @
1920x1200.

I'm running 181.00

Statistics
Average FPS: 41.46
Duration: 37.24 sec
CPU Usage: 77%
System memory usage: 62%
Video memory usage: 95%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 28
Detail Distance: 61

Soetdjuret
12-25-08, 08:00 PM
Jesus christ! 40 fps not even on highest settings in gta4.. on two freaking gtx260's o_O

Why doesn't it double or nearly double the fps as it use to do in most games?

AdamK47
12-25-08, 08:33 PM
Here are my system specs. (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.aspx?rigid=34867)

With 1920x1080 with 8X anisotropic filtering and all the setting in game on their highest except for the view distance set at 30 I get the following:

Single Card - Between 54 and 55 FPS
SLI - Between 63 and 64 FPS

That's with the 180.48 drivers. All of the newer drivers give me the same results. Not only that, but they are unstable with SLI enabled. 180.48 have been totally stable, so I'll be sticking with them until nVidia releases a driver with stable SLI support.

JasonPC
12-25-08, 10:09 PM
You really have to be pushing the graphic settings to see much of a benefit from SLI. More than likely greater than 1920x1080 and high draw distance setting. If the game supported AA, I bet it would help keep the framerate up.

Also double the framerate in most games? You have to be kidding me. I've only seen SLI do that in Lost Planet and Devil May Cry 4.

NarcissistZero
12-25-08, 10:11 PM
Jesus christ! 40 fps not even on highest settings in gta4.. on two freaking gtx260's o_O

Why doesn't it double or nearly double the fps as it use to do in most games?

It's a CPU-centered game, not a GPU one... I know this is odd for PC games and hard to understand for some PC gamers, but this is the truth of it. I get a higher score on the benchmark than Roliath up there with a single GTX 260 at higher settings because I have a quad core.

SLI is a waste of time with this game.

Roliath
12-25-08, 10:30 PM
It's a CPU-centered game, not a GPU one... I know this is odd for PC games and hard to understand for some PC gamers, but this is the truth of it. I get a higher score on the benchmark than Roliath up there with a single GTX 260 at higher settings because I have a quad core.

Please post your benches, if that's true than something is wrong with my setup because my Quad is running at 3.2Ghz

NarcissistZero
12-25-08, 11:54 PM
Please post your benches, if that's true than something is wrong with my setup because my Quad is running at 3.2Ghz

My benches are in another thread... not doing it again. I run it with high textures, highest rendering, view distance at 28, detail distance at 100, cars at 70 and resolution at 1920x1200. My benchmarks were always around 45fps and my gameplay is super smooth.

Your SLI is not helping you in this game.

Soetdjuret
12-26-08, 10:49 AM
You really have to be pushing the graphic settings to see much of a benefit from SLI. More than likely greater than 1920x1080 and high draw distance setting. If the game supported AA, I bet it would help keep the framerate up.

Also double the framerate in most games? You have to be kidding me. I've only seen SLI do that in Lost Planet and Devil May Cry 4.

Am not kidding you... I get good scaling in many games. For example the Half-life2 Lost coast and EP2, Crysis aswell... scales really good.

See here, on the gtx 280 and the 9800gt. Almost double the framerate:

http://www.sweclockers.com/imagebank/plot/200808/CrysisDX10002.png

Thanks for the explanation... I only got a e8400, and it's not overclocked. Guess a quad would make quite a difference.

JasonPC
12-26-08, 11:11 AM
I know it helps in Crysis but it's not double the framerate, probably closer to 80% higher some of the time. And as for source games, I could run them maxed out even without SLI so it doesn't make that big of a difference. If you overclocked that E8400, it would probably help a lot.

mailman2
12-26-08, 11:26 AM
SLI doesnt double the FPS, lmao. Its about 15-20%, not even worth the money or frustration of microstutter. Rockstar said SLI would be supported in a later patch and with drivers, so at this point SLI more than likely doesn't even work or would be very unoptimized. That said, GTA IV is more CPU limited anyways so having SLI working isnt really going to help anyways.

Soetdjuret
12-27-08, 10:55 PM
SLI doesnt double the FPS, lmao. Its about 15-20%, not even worth the money or frustration of microstutter. Rockstar said SLI would be supported in a later patch and with drivers, so at this point SLI more than likely doesn't even work or would be very unoptimized. That said, GTA IV is more CPU limited anyways so having SLI working isnt really going to help anyways.

Stop speaking rubbish a$$hole... SLI works very good for me in nearly any game, but had problem in the damn Gta4. That's all. In all modern games i get 50 - 80% more power thx to SLI, sometimes even more as for source 2007 based games and crysis. Did you even bother to look at the damn chart i posted? SLI scales very good.. about 4 - 5 fps from the double (100% scaling) framerate. And there's is other cases in that test where SLI scales very well aswell.

It's pathetic that Gta4 requres a quadcore or a fucjking overclocked e8400-ish... I run crysis or any other game fine on this cpu. Never had problems until now.

JasonPC
12-27-08, 11:23 PM
Yeah I haven't seen the microstutter that people talk about. From my experience it either works well or not at all. It would seem like the CPU overhead needed for SLI would have a negative effect for GTA IV and you'd only see a positive effect if you had a highly clocked quad core. Which does seem a bit absurd but that's the way it is.

NarcissistZero
12-28-08, 07:17 AM
It's pathetic that Gta4 requres a quadcore or a fucjking overclocked e8400-ish... I run crysis or any other game fine on this cpu. Never had problems until now.

I don't think that it's pathetic, it's just a different focus. I'm sure the primary reason is because the consoles put a lot of their power into massive processors, rather than GPUs, but it also has a lot to do with what areas games are expanding on now (more "busy" worlds and realistic physics).

There's always a game or two that signal it's time to upgrade your processor... games that use the processor more than most others. GTA4 is this game for the end of 2008, just as Assassin's Creed was for early 2008... I don't see why you're so mad about it, just upgrade or dial back your settings.

Soetdjuret
12-28-08, 08:01 PM
Rofl you didn't get my point sir. I meant that it's pathetic that i can max out crysis and not even getting playable frames in GTA4 on the same system and same CPU. U can't say gta4 has better graphics than crysis or what?

NarcissistZero
12-28-08, 08:08 PM
Rofl you didn't get my point sir. I meant that it's pathetic that i can max out crysis and not even getting playable frames in GTA4 on the same system and same CPU. U can't say gta4 has better graphics than crysis or what?

It has a lot more going on than Crysis, and was built a very different way from the ground up.

BioHazZarD
12-29-08, 08:58 AM
They really should have used physx for this, it would let of a huge load from cpu and we would have got playable rates instead.

Roliath
12-29-08, 10:41 AM
They really should have used physx for this, it would let of a huge load from cpu and we would have got playable rates instead.

I wonder if Force Unleashed is ever ported to PC, if the performance will be crap on that too.

Also, i'm sure we can expect gta 5 to use euphoria too.

(And I used the word crap, loosely...the game doesn't run absolutely horrible just runs a bit slower than what I would have expected)

JasonPC
12-29-08, 11:56 AM
This game would have been perfect for physx though it still would have left ATI users in the woods.

Bokishi
12-29-08, 02:09 PM
Alright I noticed that SLI 8800s help this game, but SLI GTX 280s really slow things down

Soetdjuret
12-30-08, 05:36 AM
Alright I noticed that SLI 8800s help this game, but SLI GTX 280s really slow things down

didn't help me a sh1t...

nekrosoft13
12-30-08, 07:18 AM
I wonder if Force Unleashed is ever ported to PC, if the performance will be crap on that too.

Also, i'm sure we can expect gta 5 to use euphoria too.

(And I used the word crap, loosely...the game doesn't run absolutely horrible just runs a bit slower than what I would have expected)

I really can't complain about the performance, have no slow downs it runs great. AA would be nice